New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

The HAL for Dummies is a God-send - even though I am a 2-Star Marriner!

Our plane is coming in at 7:00AM - the day of our cruise. The ship leaves at 4:45pm.

If we opt for the transfer service from HA from the airport to the cruiseport, would our luggage be loaded directly from the bus to the ship?

I would think that the bus would get to the port by 9:00 and we probably would not be able board for another three hours and would hate to wait around guarding our luggage!

Thanks

I do not know how far you have to travel BUT:

Goggle "luggage forwarding". The will pick up your luggage from your home or office or pick up almost any where about a week before your trip and deliver it to to ship.

It is pricy about $124 for a large bag under 50 pounds from Calif to Florida.

They have a good reputation. There is also a thread on Cruise Critic if you wish to check them out.

This is not to be confused with Holland America program called "Luggage Direct"

This wonderful program is at the end of your trip and used to send your luggage to the air port from the ship. Cost is $19 dollars per person for your boarding pass and luggage handling.

The HAL for Dummies is a God-send - even though I am a 2-Star Marriner!

Our plane is coming in at 7:00AM - the day of our cruise. The ship leaves at 4:45pm.

If we opt for the transfer service from HA from the airport to the cruiseport, would our luggage be loaded directly from the bus to the ship?

I would think that the bus would get to the port by 9:00 and we probably would not be able board for another three hours and would hate to wait around guarding our luggage!

Thanks

you are talking about HAL's transfer from the airport to the ship, correct?

Yes, the luggage is loaded on the bus. If there is not enough room it will go on another one, but there usually is.

The stevedores will probably around be on duty and your luggage will be passed to them. Always good to see it happen

Edited by kazu

I'm assuming HAL does the "fire drill" before departing.How is it done?Asking because Disney has everyone on one deck,and they slide your room card to show you're there.The one time we were on Carnival in Jan.it seemed to be all over the ship!;)

I'm assuming HAL does the "fire drill" before departing.How is it done?Asking because Disney has everyone on one deck,and they slide your room card to show you're there.The one time we were on Carnival in Jan.it seemed to be all over the ship!;)

It usually is around 45 minutes before departing. Right now you go to an assigned spot on deck by your lifeboat station. No swiping of cards yet. You report to the steward with your cabin number and they call out the numbers and names of those that have not reported in to take attendance.

It's quite organized. The only thing that causes delays is "no shows".

Do the Vista ships have only North American style electrical outlets? How many outlets are there in a standard cabin?

Thanks!

Each outlet will have both a North American and a European receptacle. A trick is to take along a European plug adapter for charging your electronics. Most chargers have a voltage range of from 100 to 240. Just check what is written on your charger and if you see that voltage range it is safe to use the European plug. This will allow you to plug in two items at one receptacle.

Since the chargers can be bulky enough that it is hard to fit two side by side, I take along a small thingy that I plug in and it has a few places for plugs in it. If I plug one charger in the end of the thingy there is room in the other outlet for another charger. I don't know what they are called----sort of an extension cord without the cord.

We normally book an SS on the Vistas and there are two outlets----one at each desk. We had a standard balcony cabin on the Oosterdam and there was one receptacle in the cabin. There will be a receptacle in the bathroom for charging razors or toothbrushes.

The hair dryer that is provided will work in the European receptacle only so don't make the mistake of plugging it into the European adapter. There is no built in converter in the hair dryer like you will find in the chargers.

Edited by sapper1

The fire drill has been undergoing safety changes, and you need to listen carefully to the announcements, as muster time is a part of the change. Do not head to your lifeboat station until instructed to do so. I understand it is after the second horn or whistle. Until now, you do not check in by swiping your card, but that is something coming soon - if not already - as well.

Each outlet will have both a North American and a European receptacle. A trick is to take along a European plug adapter for charging your electronics. Most chargers have a voltage range of from 100 to 240. Just check what is written on your charger and if you see that voltage range it is safe to use the European plug. This will allow you to plug in two items at one receptacle.

Since the chargers can be bulky enough that it is hard to fit two side by side, I take along a small thingy that I plug in and it has a few places for plugs in it. If I plug one charger in the end of the thingy there is room in the other outlet for another charger. I don't know what they are called----sort of an extension cord without the cord.

We normally book an SS on the Vistas and there are two outlets----one at each desk. We had a standard balcony cabin on the Oosterdam and there was one receptacle in the cabin. There will be a receptacle in the bathroom for charging razors or toothbrushes.

The hair dryer that is provided will work in the European receptacle only so don't make the mistake of plugging it into the European adapter. There is no built in converter in the hair dryer like you will find in the chargers.

Thanks!

This is not to be confused with Holland America program called "Luggage Direct"

This wonderful program is at the end of your trip and used to send your luggage to the air port from the ship. Cost is $19 dollars per person for your boarding pass and luggage handling.

Luggage Direct availability is limited to certain airlines, so if you're planning to use it, better make sure you are booked on an allowed airline.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be on the Veendam. What deck are the muster locations on? Do you bring your life jacket with you? Do they do an indoors or outdoors muster? I'm doing a back to back cruise. Do you have to attend muster for both cruises? Thanks.

Edited by KruzPrincess

I'll be on the Veendam. What deck are the muster locations on? Do you bring your life jacket with you? Do they do an indoors or outdoors muster? I'm doing a back to back cruise. Do you have to attend muster for both cruises? Thanks.

You don't take your life vest with you. Since the Costs tragedy, you can expect to have to attend the drill on both segments of the cruise.

I always get my deck names mixed up. But the life boat drill is on the walk around promenade deck.

<snip>I missed the classical trio or guitarist with dinner in the MDR, and the ocean view while we dined..<snip>

Sorry to edit so much of your post, but just wanted to respond to this bit. It has been a long time since there has been any live music at dinner in the MDR. The Adagio trio is now a duo, and plays in the Explorer's Lounge only.

• Like 1

Glad to hear that HAL compared so favorable. I agree with almost everything that you wrote - so many cruise lines are eliminating the conditioners, for example, happy to read that HAL isn't.

I do however like the plays. I guess that I am old fashioned. Really what I like are the variety shows with the singers & the dancers. I take cruises to visit new ports, to enjoy the meals and for wonderful nightly entertainment. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed reading your post. Gloria

• Like 1

You don't take your life vest with you. Since the Costs tragedy, you can expect to have to attend the drill on both segments of the cruise.

I always get my deck names mixed up. But the life boat drill is on the walk around promenade deck.

Thank you. I think my cabin might be on the deck with the walk around promenade. If so, that will be easy. Good to know about not taking a life jacket with you.

Can you please tell me what ships give you the ability to do laundry instead of the laundry bag?

All the Holland America ships offer the various laundry bag options.

The ships with self-service laundries are:

All the S-class ships---Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam

All the R-class ships---Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam

The Elegant Explorer---Prinsendam. There is no charge for self-service laundry on this ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been on one HAL cruise before and had set dinner at 8 pm. Personally, I didn't like the set time, but I loved getting to know the wait staff. So, it's a mixed bag.

Has anyone had experience with open dinning times but were able to ask for, and get the same wait staff / table?

Any suggestions?

(I know, I just want it all! ):)

I've been on one HAL cruise before and had set dinner at 8 pm. Personally, I didn't like the set time, but I loved getting to know the wait staff. So, it's a mixed bag.

Has anyone had experience with open dinning times but were able to ask for, and get the same wait staff / table?

Any suggestions?

(I know, I just want it all! ):)

On cruise to Hawaii we were in a SY suite and had early setting, same table same staff. We were assigned late setting but requested and receiver change to early setting.

On cruise to Alaska, we were unsold from VE to SA, first lunch we liked our table so much that we requested it be reserved each lunch and dinner.

We had as you wish open setting and sat at the same table with the same staff every night. I do not know if the Neptune Suite status influenced the table choice.

We are waiting for our trip to Panama in 7 weeks. I plan to ask our TA to secure the same table for us before we set sail. Do not know if it can be done but worth a try. We are in SY this time.

Have a great trip. Judy

My suggestion for "Dummies":

MS Eurodam & Nieuw Amsterdam - The GRAND TOUR of SIGNATURE class - Pics and Video is your handbook, textbook, culinary book, tutorial for beginners and complete pictorial guide to the most exciting HAL ships - the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Click here to take your video cruise on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

Enjoy!

Great Video! Can't wait for my cruise!!

Walt, what a great idea for a sticky thread! I'm new to both HAL and Cruise Critic and find this thread very handy indeed. I notice some posters mentioning Signature class and Vista class. I will be on the Zuiderdam in 2015 but can find no mention of its class. Can anyone tell me what class the Zuiderdam is?

Many thanks.

Walt, what a great idea for a sticky thread! I'm new to both HAL and Cruise Critic and find this thread very handy indeed. I notice some posters mentioning Signature class and Vista class. I will be on the Zuiderdam in 2015 but can find no mention of its class. Can anyone tell me what class the Zuiderdam is?

Many thanks.

The Zuiderdam is Vista Class.

Please see this sticky: An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Edited by Host Walt

Very new to all of this. Two questions: 1) what beverages are complementary (water, coffee, tea, juice?) and does it matter where those beverages are consumed (MDR, or somewhere else)? and 2) is there a dress code for the MDR for breakfast and lunch or only for dinner?

Was telling DH about all the wonderful things I've been learning. His reply was that he wondered how others learn this stuff.

• Like 1

...Was telling DH about all the wonderful things I've been learning. His reply was that he wondered how others learn this stuff.

Most of the time common sense and/or previous cruise experience prevails. However you will almost always encounter someone who wasn't totally aware of all there is to know. Some won't care while most others will experience a bit of embarrassment or discomfort.

That said, there aren't that many "rules" or social decorum standards involved with cruising so that the experience is really a very pleasant one for the novice cruiser. Participation in Cruise Critic, however, adds so much to the newbie simply by putting the concerns one may have to rest.

Two quick questions:

1. When do you select your dinning time? When we booked online, it just asked us if we wanted a set time or not, but we didn't get to specify what time.

2. How do you order off the vegetarian menu in the MDR? Do you need to do anything before hand or can you just show up at dinner and request the vegetarian menu?

Thanks!