Total trip cost question for 2 different individual policies in same cabin

katrina915

I usually go through a TA so first time purchasing trip insurance on my own.

I will be cruising with my sister and she lives in a different state so we need separate policies.

Insuremytrip person indicated that the "total trip" cost would be our individual portion of the cabin and airfare. Airfare makes sense, but I wasn't sure about the cabin cost so wanted to confirm here.

If cabin is $4,000 and we are sharing the cabin: Should our individual policies be for $2,000 (1/2 of cabin) or $4,000 (full fare of cabin)?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Is that right though? I am travelling with family members and the invoice list me first with the amount almost double of the other two. We are of course splitting the cost evenly but if I understand it correctly my cost is what is on the invoice . This unfortunately cost me more for ins even though I am not really responsible for the 500 dollars more. I am trying to figure this all out but that is my understanding - fair or not

The upshot is you want to cover the amount that you would be liable for in case of cancellation or interruption. So if you are three or four to a cabin, then yes, you do have a different cost to cover as a 1st/2nd Passenger rather than a 3rd/4th.

So how does this work - I can combine ins with the second guest to combine cost of trip to even it out. We do not live together but live in the same state. If I go to IMY or TIS the cost is listed as 'total for both" but on the actual ins website it asks for the individual cost separately. If there is a claim will the ins co look at the invoice an invalidate the claim even though an agent sells it with a combined pass 1 and 2 cost?

The best thing to do would be to ask the insurance broker directly. I see where they have phone #'s, chats and e-mail available for questions. They will be able to answer your question the best as to how to split up the costs.

The best thing to do would be to ask the insurance broker directly. I see where they have phone #'s, chats and e-mail available for questions. They will be able to answer your question the best as to how to split up the costs.

This, absolutely.

Call TripInsuranceStore and *ask* them how it should be handled, so that you both have the coverage you need (e.g., if one of you needs to cancel, but not the other, in particular).

And they can help you get the best policy for your purposes, from one of their several insurers.

GC

I travel with my sister who lives in a different state. We each purchase our own policy.

When I asked this question of my travel insurance about sharing costs, their answer was that my portion of the costs are what is shown on my credit card statement ( that will be required if I submit a claim), not the cruise confirmation.

Also, the single supplement is covered if one of us cannot go.

ETA - the single supplement inclusion is spelled out on the insurance. I’m not sure all policies have that.

Edited by Suzanne123

I travel with my sister who lives in a different state. We each purchase our own policy.

When I asked this question of my travel insurance about sharing costs, their answer was that my portion of the costs are what is shown on my credit card statement ( that will be required if I submit a claim), not the cruise confirmation.

Also, the single supplement is covered if one of us cannot go.

ETA - the single supplement inclusion is spelled out on the insurance. I’m not sure all policies have that.

Thanks for the reply. I am past final payment so I already purchased trip insurance. I may have to go through a TA the next time though, since I put everything on my credit card. Good to know what your TA is saying so I can pursue next time.

Thanks for the reply. I am past final payment so I already purchased trip insurance. I may have to go through a TA the next time though, since I put everything on my credit card. Good to know what your TA is saying so I can pursue next time.

For "next time", I'd suggest not using your travel agent. Those folks may be dynamite for travel planning, but they are not experts with travel insurance. Worse, some of the policies they (or cruise lines) sell may not cover everything you need, or may only give "credit" back for future travel, rather than cash.

Consider at least speaking with an insurance broker (the insurers pay the commission, not the traveler) such as

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(There are others, but we prefer them, and the Travel Insured policies we've purchased through them have paid very promptly, with no nonsense. That's what counts...)

GC

For "next time", I'd suggest not using your travel agent. Those folks may be dynamite for travel planning, but they are not experts with travel insurance. Worse, some of the policies they (or cruise lines) sell may not cover everything you need, or may only give "credit" back for future travel, rather than cash.

Consider at least speaking with an insurance broker (the insurers pay the commission, not the traveler) such as

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

(There are others, but we prefer them, and the Travel Insured policies we've purchased through them have paid very promptly, with no nonsense. That's what counts...)

GC

Great advice. Thanks!

I agree with GC. As my circumstances have changed ( getting older, widowed, and now with pre-existing condition) I’ve started getting one of the Travel Insured policies through Steve’s web site ( TripInsuranceStore). Web site is easy to understand, they will run interference for you if needed, and just less hassle all around.

ETA- I’ve never used a TA to buy insurance.