Want to know anything and everything!

Rellyrooly

We have decided on the 10 day Avalon Central European Experience from Prague. From Remich (Luxembourg) we will head to London for an additional week. Now that we have made our decision, I want to know anything and everything I can about the cruise line and the itinerary including London. We will be sailing October 1, 2019 and head to London October 10th. Please share any experiences, tours, tips you think I should know. Nothing is too small to mention. I am writing down everything. I am am a crazy planner and love to know as much as I can about all things. Thank you all for your help so far. You've been invaluable!

In London be sure to allow plenty of time for the British Museum, a truly amazing place.

We rode the HopOnHopOff on one visit and used public transport on the other. Either works.

The Museum and Westminster Cathedral were my favorite places. Seeing the final resting places of Elizabeth I and many others was awe inspiring. St. Paul's is not to be missed either.

Much, much more to enjoy. Have a great trip!

We loved Avalon... they said on the welcome night that the crew were a family, and they sure made us feel like part of it. If you are looking for anything don't be afraid to ask, all they can say is no, but if it's available, they will do their best to provide it. I hope you get as good of a Cruise Director & crew as we did, as they certainly made our cruise one to remember.

On our Avalon Cruise last fall we ate almost every dinner in the lounge. They have small portions of several menu items, salad, soup, bread, cheese and lots of wine. Also dessert. You served yourself except for the wine. It was much quicker than the long meals in the dining room.

Also on the cruise the year before they didn’t offer this meal service and we picked up sandwiches, chips, cookies late one afternoon in a town and ate it in our room. I’ve also seen people bringing a lunch from town and eating it in the back coffee lounge.

There is plenty of food offered on the ship but often it’s fun to try the food from the local towns. If you buy wine for your room and don’t have a corkscrew, borrow from the bartender and return it right away.

On our Avalon Cruise last fall we ate almost every dinner in the lounge. They have small portions of several menu items, salad, soup, bread, cheese and lots of wine. Also dessert. You served yourself except for the wine. It was much quicker than the long meals in the dining room.

Also on the cruise the year before they didn’t offer this meal service and we picked up sandwiches, chips, cookies late one afternoon in a town and ate it in our room. I’ve also seen people bringing a lunch from town and eating it in the back coffee lounge.

There is plenty of food offered on the ship but often it’s fun to try the food from the local towns. If you buy wine for your room and don’t have a corkscrew, borrow from the bartender and return it right away.

May I ask why you chose not to eat in the main dining room? Did it allow you to spend more time off the ship? If not, what else was there to do during that time?

May I ask why you chose not to eat in the main dining room? Did it allow you to spend more time off the ship? If not, what else was there to do during that time?

This was for dinner. We never left the ship in the evening. We just don’t like to sit for as long as the more formal service. We hadn’t clicked with any other people and after the first time with the buffet dinner we really liked it. We did go back to the dining room for the final Captain’s dinner which usually has lobster!

This was for dinner. We never left the ship in the evening. We just don’t like to sit for as long as the more formal service. We hadn’t clicked with any other people and after the first time with the buffet dinner we really liked it. We did go back to the dining room for the final Captain’s dinner which usually has lobster!

Thank you for your response. Is this the same thing as the tasting dinner I am hearing about or is that something different as well? Forgive me for the questions; it just seems like there are a few options for eating and trying to understand them all.

Thank you for your response. Is this the same thing as the tasting dinner I am hearing about or is that something different as well? Forgive me for the questions; it just seems like there are a few options for eating and trying to understand them all.

Not sure what it’s called. We didn’t need to sign up, just show up starting at 7

For an real offbeat treat in London visit Sir John Soane's museum. At his request his home has been left untouched since his death almost 180 years ago. Every nook and cranny of his mansion is filled with extraordinary objects d'art. It's one of the most amazing places I've ever been.

I did this cruise on the Artistry II two years ago if I can answer any questions please let me know. We spent a week in Prague on our own before meeting the group at the InterContinental. The cruise was wonderful, the crew was outstanding. I loved our cabin....all of it. The cruise was amazing. At the end, we spent a week in Paris.

Anyhoooo, let me know if I can answer any questions.

Reb

Congratulations on your decision, Rellyrooly! :):)

Now the real planning starts. So many Avalon cruisers will be happy to help and, yes, the Avalon thread is brilliant for information. London, so much to see, it is dirty, too hot in Summer, full of people and quite astonishing/amazing/tiring, etc. Head out into to countryside for a few hours, or take the underground to Kew Gardens. Which reminds me are you taking the train from Luxembourg or flying, or have not decided yet? If you arrive by train you will in all likelihood end your journey in St. Pancras. Make sure you walk along the outside to get a sense of the scale of the station...

Well, here is the Moselle in Luxembourg: http://www.visitmoselle.lu/en

For some more info on the Moselle here is the thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353480

Have fun planning.

notamermaid

We just got back from an Avalon Rhine cruise. There is a "formal" (not dress except they asked for no shorts in the dining room) dinner in the dining room which is usually 4 courses, and a light dinner upstairs in the lounge - we always ate in the dining room, so not sure exactly what was served but it was a lighter fare. We didn't find the meals long, as we usually ended up sitting and chatting long after most left the dining room. Lunch was the same, a buffet in the dining room and lighter salads & pasta up in the lounge. I know one night for the lounge dinner they had Tapas, but not sure how it was...the one person I heard tried it wasn't happy, but then it could just be their tastes, as they usually did eat upstairs.

We just got back from an Avalon Rhine cruise. There is a "formal" (not dress except they asked for no shorts in the dining room) dinner in the dining room which is usually 4 courses, and a light dinner upstairs in the lounge - we always ate in the dining room, so not sure exactly what was served but it was a lighter fare. We didn't find the meals long, as we usually ended up sitting and chatting long after most left the dining room. Lunch was the same, a buffet in the dining room and lighter salads & pasta up in the lounge. I know one night for the lounge dinner they had Tapas, but not sure how it was...the one person I heard tried it wasn't happy, but then it could just be their tastes, as they usually did eat upstairs.

We did the Tapas one night on the Artistry II and it was ok. It was a nice change but not anything amazing.