Maasdam Final Cruise?

I wish I had a dollar for every cruise I have done and heard "....she has been sold.... new owners are on board to finalize details". I could do a lot more cruising. I will wait until HAL announces her sale - I sometimes think staff on board like to start rumors... and of course, one day they will be true.

Susan

We were on that sailing Copper! It actually turned into an interesting cruise! We crawled along the Mexico coast back to San Diego and got to overnight on our last night in San Diego. Everyone had the choice to stay on board and visit San Diego as a "port", getting on and off (off boarding the next morning) or get off and head home if that be their choice. Loved "porting" in San Diego and would always recommend it as a great overnight port option for HAL on their longer cruises.

Was that the October (I think) 2006 Mexican coast itinerary? I think we skipped Puerto Vallarta stop and returned a day early to San Diego--- I loved it - they gave me 25% off my next sailing plus a several hundred dollar credit --- which enabled me to sail on Noordam from New York to the Caribbean the following January.

Was that the October (I think) 2006 Mexican coast itinerary? I think we skipped Puerto Vallarta stop and returned a day early to San Diego--- I loved it - they gave me 25% off my next sailing plus a several hundred dollar credit --- which enabled me to sail on Noordam from New York to the Caribbean the following January.

It was indeed - the Oosterdam. Guests and crew alike were educated on that impaired sailing. And yes, HAL compensated everyone appropriately, and ten years later we have many, many HAL cruises as a result!

We were in the Maasdam for the recent 52 day Australia circumnavigation and I concur with the previous posters that she's in top shape. Based on our experience on the last sailing of the Statendam, I would project she'll be in fine shape! We liked her so much we are wait listed to sail back to San Diego on her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 9 months later...

Not sure about what the future holds for the Maasdam but despite all the rumors of a sale we went ahead and booked the 2 week cruise sailing from Lima, Peru back to San Diego in March. We are also looking into the special Explore cruises set for October 2018 on the Maasdam cruising French Polynesia. We have never been on this ship and hope that it is in good condition. I would like to hear back from anyone who has recent experience on this ship as to your thoughts or if you heard any news about its future.

We find this thread fascinating. HAL is still (as of 2 weeks ago) taking bookings for the Maasdam for cruises well into 2019. In fact, we have a Maasdam booking for March of 2019....and there are plenty of scheduled cruises after this date. As of now she will be the primary ship for HAL's now EXC cruise program. Of course, with HAL...anything can happen. But there are much stronger rumors (supported by some within the company) that the Prinsendam will be history...sometime in the next two years. In fact, folks may have noticed that there is still no Grand Med Voyage for the spring of 2019....which has been a long time Prinsendam voyage. We would be surprised if HAL sold two ships (Prinsendam and Maasdam) in such a short period of time. One pretty knowledgeable HAL recently told us that there has been some strong rumors that HAL intends to use the Maasdam to replace many of the type cruises that have been done by the Prinsendam. Guess we shall have to wait and see. Meanwhile up in Seattle, we suspect that somebody sticks their finger out a window to see which way the wind is blowing....and that is how they make their decisions for that particular day. But if the wind direction changes the next day? .....

Hank

Prinsendam is doing TA from FLL to Rome I believe 3/2019. We are wanting a TA cruise in April 2019 since we will be doing 4/3/2019 San Diego-FLL wanting to take anTA after that cruise to The Med. I stumbled upon it and was surprised to see her doing FLL stoping in ports of Spain onto Rome as an30 day cruise.

Denise:)

Will be on her from our hometown San Diego 2/25/2018 doing the 28 day. Will be picking you up in Lima. This is an old thread and she is doing cruises into 2019!

Smooth Sailings

Denise:)

Denise I knew it was an old post but just wanted reassurance I guess. Looking forward to joining you on the second leg of the upcoming cruise. My sister also lives in Leucadia /Encinitas and have spent lots of time over the years visiting her.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We loved our trip on the Maasdam this year and are planning on booking another in 2019. I too heard that it will probably continue in the fleet and do more specialty cruises in the future. Has fast become one of our favorite HAL ships.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here you go S7S ;):

Maasdam 5/20/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 5/21/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 5/22/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 5/23/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 5/24/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 5/25/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 5/26/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 5/26/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 5/27/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 5/27/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 5/28/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 5/29/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 5/30/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 5/31/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/1/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/2/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 6/3/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 6/4/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 6/5/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/6/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/7/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 6/8/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 6/9/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 6/9/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 6/10/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 6/10/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 6/11/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 6/12/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 6/13/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 6/14/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/15/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/16/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 6/17/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 6/18/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 6/19/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/20/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/21/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 6/22/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 6/23/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 6/23/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 6/24/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 6/24/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 6/25/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 6/26/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 6/27/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 6/28/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/29/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 6/30/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 7/1/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 7/2/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 7/3/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/4/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/5/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 7/6/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 7/7/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 7/7/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 7/8/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 7/8/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 7/9/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 7/10/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 7/11/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 7/12/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/13/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/14/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 7/15/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 7/16/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 7/17/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/18/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/19/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 7/20/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 7/21/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 7/21/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 7/22/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 7/22/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 7/23/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 7/24/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 7/25/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 7/26/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/27/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 7/28/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 7/29/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 7/30/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 7/31/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/1/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/2/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 8/3/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 8/4/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 8/4/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 8/5/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 8/5/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 8/6/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 8/7/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 8/8/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 8/9/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/10/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/11/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 8/12/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 8/13/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 8/14/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/15/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/16/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 8/17/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 8/18/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 8/18/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 8/19/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 8/19/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 8/20/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 8/21/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 8/22/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 8/23/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/24/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/25/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 8/26/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Maasdam 8/27/2017 Sun Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 8/28/2017 Mon Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/29/2017 Tue Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 8/30/2017 Wed Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 8/31/2017 Thu Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 9/1/2017 Fri Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 9/1/2017 Fri Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 9/2/2017 Sat MONTREAL, QUEBEC

Maasdam 9/2/2017 Sat Scenic cruising Saint Lawrence River

Maasdam 9/3/2017 Sun Quebec, Quebec

Maasdam 9/4/2017 Mon Cruising the Gulf of Saint Lawrence

Maasdam 9/5/2017 Tue Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

Maasdam 9/6/2017 Wed Sydney, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 9/7/2017 Thu Halifax, Nova Scotia

Maasdam 9/8/2017 Fri Bar Harbor, ME

Maasdam 9/9/2017 Sat BOSTON, MA

Ahh, Yes, I have done that (those) interaries, b-to-b soooo, many times and loved each and every. DH and I relished each gtgime we boarded the extra special Maasdam especially in Boston and debarked there. That is an amazing itinerary even for someone (me) who has lived in Boston all my life.

Thank you for listing all the dates. :)

Copper, Is Veendam the only ship doing Canada/ NE next suumer? What about Bermuda? will she alternate each week? No, No, No, she can't as Veendam is supposed to go to C uba a few cruises summer 2018.

Edited by sail7seas

• 3 months later...

We are looking to possibly book a 21 night 2019 cruise on the Maasdam to Alaska from SF.

The website has them listed for three 21 night Alaska cruises in May and June of 2019.

It seems that they are keeping her in the fleet?

Not that these port reservations can't be cancelled, but here are the dates the Massdam is scheduled to visit Sydney, Australia in 2019:

26 Sep2019

17 Oct2019

22 Oct 2019

16 Nov 2019

21 Nov 2019

3 Dec 2019

5 Dec 2019

23 Dec 2019

We're hoping the Massdam does a cruise around Australia again and some of these dates give us hope. We'll soon know as soon as HAL finishes posting their 2019 cruises. Any one know when that might be?

I am a bit confused about this "final sailing of the Maasdam" thing. Who says? The ship is being heavily booked for cruises through 2019..including the new EXP cruises.

Hank

My guess is because other than the Prinsendam, the Maasdam is the smallest and one of the oldest of HAL's ships and it hasn't been refurbished since 2006. When the Koningsdam entered the fleet in 2016, the Ryndam and Statendam were reallocated to P & O to help pay for it. Now that the Nieuw Statendam has entered the fleet, the rumors are that at least one ship as to go to help pay for it. Last year I heard from HAL low level employees that it was going to be either the Veendam or the Maasdam. As of today only the Maasdam has future cruises scheduled through Aug 2019 where as all of their other ships, to include the Veendam which was refurbished in 2012, have scheduled itineraries through at least Oct 2019.

That's just my opinion which, of course, has absolutely no value other than to fuel speculation. Who knows, maybe they were helping to pay for both of their new ships when they reallocated the Ryndan and Statendam rather than just the Koningsdam. If so, then this is all a mute point and we should be seeing Maasdam itineraries very shortly past Aug 2019 and hopefully a refurbishment schedule to make her pretty again. Time will tell.

In this current thread, people tell of a HAL captain describing modifications planned for Maasdam to support expeditions with Zodiacs and a crane at the bow.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2566083&page=3

Thanks! That's good news to here. I see he also said HAL might bring back the Ryndam and the Statendam. It will be interesting to see if and when that all happens.

My guess is because other than the Prinsendam, the Maasdam is the smallest and one of the oldest of HAL's ships and it hasn't been refurbished since 2006. When the Koningsdam entered the fleet in 2016, the Ryndam and Statendam were reallocated to P & O to help pay for it. Now that the Nieuw Statendam has entered the fleet, the rumors are that at least one ship as to go to help pay for it. Last year I heard from HAL low level employees that it was going to be either the Veendam or the Maasdam. As of today only the Maasdam has future cruises scheduled through Aug 2019 where as all of their other ships, to include the Veendam which was refurbished in 2012, have scheduled itineraries through at least Oct 2019.

That's just my opinion which, of course, has absolutely no value other than to fuel speculation. Who knows, maybe they were helping to pay for both of their new ships when they reallocated the Ryndan and Statendam rather than just the Koningsdam. If so, then this is all a mute point and we should be seeing Maasdam itineraries very shortly past Aug 2019 and hopefully a refurbishment schedule to make her pretty again. Time will tell.

We heard the usual speculation regarding ships...when on the VOV this past August. The general "word" from a pretty reliable HAL source, was that the Prinsendam would be leaving the fleet sometime in 2019 and the Maasdam would take over some of the more interesting itineraries traditionally done by the Prinsendam. When we protested (the Prinsendam is our favorite HAL vessel) we were told that many P'Dam fans were unhappy but it was a decision of necessity because it is becoming difficult to justify the big operating costs of the P'Dam.

Personally, when it comes to HAL, we have learned to take all the ship rumors with some degree of skepticism :). But keep in mind that the Prinsendam is 5 years older then the Maasdam.

Hank

In this current thread, people tell of a HAL captain describing modifications planned for Maasdam to support expeditions with Zodiacs and a crane at the bow.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2566083&page=3

My DW and I just got back from our afternoon walk in 30 degree weather and discussed the Maasdam being retrofitted with zodiacs and made into an exploration vessel. A few years ago we were on the Celebrity Xpedition, a 100 passenger expedition ship, which sails around the Galapagos. They had 4 zodiacs to take up to 100 passengers to/from the different wet and dry landings on the itinerary.

We were trying to picture how the Maasdam crew would transfer 1,000+ passengers to/from wet/dry landings and as big as she is compared to the Xpedition (or the Silversea Silver Galapagos), what exploratory ports would she visit? If it actually happens we will definitely be interested in researching the new and adventurous ports they might visit.

We heard the usual speculation regarding ships...when on the VOV this past August. The general "word" from a pretty reliable HAL source, was that the Prinsendam would be leaving the fleet sometime in 2019 and the Maasdam would take over some of the more interesting itineraries traditionally done by the Prinsendam. When we protested (the Prinsendam is our favorite HAL vessel) we were told that many P'Dam fans were unhappy but it was a decision of necessity because it is becoming difficult to justify the big operating costs of the P'Dam.

Personally, when it comes to HAL, we have learned to take all the ship rumors with some degree of skepticism :). But keep in mind that the Prinsendam is 5 years older then the Maasdam.

Hank

This is true and it looks like the Prinsendam is trying to hold on as long as she can as she as bookings all the way through to Dec 20,2019.