'Tidal Wave' of cruise ships in Vancouver this weekend

kira5

We embark on the Oosterdam in Vancouver on Monday. Now I now why the hotels and Sunday flights were so expensive!!

We decided to fly in Monday, saving a good part of the price of the cruise. Fortunately, the Oosterdam does not sail away until 11pm so we have extra time. HAL's Flight Ease worked well for us. We plan on taking the SkyTrain from the airport to Canada Place to avoid the traffic.

igraf

...there is talk of moving the cruise ship terminal way out of town.

Nooooo! Canada Place is such a lovely building, in an attractive setting, with everything I could want nearby!

Now, a terminal for the humongous ships, but leave Canada Place for the rest of us---that would work.

Yep, the beginning and end of the season is usually like this. Just be thankful the behemoths of the sea can't get under the Lions Gate Bridge! To accommodate them there is talk of moving the cruise ship terminal way out of town.

Nooooo! Canada Place is such a lovely building, in an attractive setting, with everything I could want nearby!

Now, a terminal for the humongous ships, but leave Canada Place for the rest of us---that would work.

Works for me :) They wouldn't let the behemoths into Alaska would they? Wouldn't the be too much for the environment?

We will be there for the circus on Monday. Thankfully we are in NS so hoping we can scoot through early and miss the worst of the crowds. We don't sail until 11 PM so guessing we will be able to go back ashore. Will definitely wait until after 3 PM when the other 2 ships are finished boarding.

Works for me :) They wouldn't let the behemoths into Alaska would they? Wouldn't the be too much for the environment?

The Norwegian Bliss behemoth is starting Alaska service next summer--big enough for a go-kart track. The itineraries include Sawyer Glacier. But they could take up more than usual docking space in places like Juneau and require tendering from other ships. In Seattle their pier is separate from HAL's, but it means 4,000 passengers taking up hotel space and flights. I went on another NCL behemoth, the Getaway, on its first season on the Baltic itinerary out of Copenhagen, and it made things pretty crowded in port cities and filled up hotels in Copenhagen.

Way out of town ... Squamish? 🤣

LOL no - Delta has been suggested, as there is a commercial shipping terminal there. I think they will still use Canada Place but make facilities for the bigger cruise ships in Delta or wherever because of the competition from Seattle. Just MHO though.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app

LOL no - Delta has been suggested, as there is a commercial shipping terminal there. I think they will still use Canada Place but make facilities for the bigger cruise ships in Delta or wherever because of the competition from Seattle. Just MHO though.

Thanks for this info. I hadn't read anything about this.

Deltaport would certainly be good for the huge ships. Might be uses for overflow from Canada Place, too.

A pain for pax: strictly a cruiseline transfer to get there and back. WAY out in the boonies, yet a scenic ride there and back.

Thanks for this info. I hadn't read anything about this.

Deltaport would certainly be good for the huge ships. Might be uses for overflow from Canada Place, too.

A pain for pax: strictly a cruiseline transfer to get there and back. WAY out in the boonies, yet a scenic ride there and back.

It was a TV news item yesterday or perhaps Friday. Check Global BC news.

We were told by a Hal captain a few days ago, that the new Cruise terminal will be in Delta [Tsawwassen]. Not only is there a cargo ship terminal there, bur Ferries too. It would be great for tourists going back and forth to Vancouver Island.

I don't know if he really has inside information, but he told us, once we said that we lived in Tsawwassen.

Sandra