Average number of people there are on ship booked excursions?

kobe

Hi, I'm wondering what the average number of people there are on ship booked excursions to Halifax or Saint John? I realize there will be variation depending on the excursion so I'm looking for general numbers. They are have a 30% off sale now so the prices are pretty good but I'm always concerned that there will be too many people.

Thanks

I just cannot imagine you being able to get remotely accurate data on this - barring cruiselines themselves deciding to release average ticket sales - so I would always assume that it will be a full coachload (usually ~53pax) or multiples thereof, per ship that's in port.

Unless you're good with that, book smaller group private tours who will generally confirm vehicle size - 30% off a crap excursion is still a crap excursion (and I assume number of folks with you IS a relevant 'crap factor' for you or you'd have just snapped up the bargain pricing without asking this question!!!)

I think it really varies on the excursion.

We've only been to Halifax once and walked on our own (Citadel, Public Garden). I suspect most of the excursions to Peggy's Cove would be packed buses.

We've done Saint John twice. The first was a walking pub tour through Carnival with Moosehead. I think we had less than 20 people and it was a nice group. The second trip was a Kayak excursion with lobster lunch through Princess. We had 35-40 (I remember a facebook post listing around 18 couples). It was very well done and did not feel cramped. A little bit of a wait for the ladies room both at the beach and when we stopped at reversing rapids, but not bad.

Typically ship tours are outrageously crowded and far more expensive than the same tour you can find on your own and book independently. Just do your research here on cruise critic port specific. You will see recommendations, etc. cross reference on Trip advisor. Or sometimes, you can get together with other cruisers from your ship via the roll call thread here on cruise critic. It is extremely rate I would ever book a ship tour. I've done over 40 cruises and always book privately or join in with roll call cruisers. I've never been left at port or even had any close calls. Just do your homework.