Add-on camera lens for iPhone

BnWhited

I don't think there's such a thing as a good clip-on lens. I'm biased, but if the outer lens on the iPhone is designed to gather the light that's out in the world, trying to put a clip-on lens beyond that is NOT going to yield good results. Especially if you're used to a big camera...

I don't think there's such a thing as a good clip-on lens. I'm biased, but if the outer lens on the iPhone is designed to gather the light that's out in the world, trying to put a clip-on lens beyond that is NOT going to yield good results. Especially if you're used to a big camera...

Peety.... you're missing what is "good enough" for many people..... For people looking to post a so-so image on facebook...

To OP... recent article reviewing your options:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lenses-for-iphone/

Peety.... you're missing what is "good enough" for many people..... For people looking to post a so-so image on facebook...

To OP... recent article reviewing your options:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-lenses-for-iphone/

The OP already has a big camera. I'm assuming that's a DSLR. It's one thing to downgrade to an iPhone, it's another thing to downgrade further to some sort of clip-on lens. Physical alignment is PARAMOUNT to good photos in that scenario, and I just don't see an iPhone having a means to provide a well-centered mounting method for a lens, and/or the lens itself having a proper mount to get it that well positioned.

LensRentals.com has several good articles about teleconverters that go between a DSLR and a lens, making a 200mm lens into a 280mm (1.4x) or 400mm (2x), at the obvious "expense" of aperture. They make a fantastic point in one of those articles: the lens has already gathered the light and sent it towards the sensor. Sticking a TC in the path to monkey with those well-aligned rays of light in new and different ways doesn't work well. It works best for longer focal-length lenses, presumably because they're gathering rays of light that were already rather parallel. A clip-on iPhone lens is so far away from that scenario.

The OP already has a big camera. I'm assuming that's a DSLR. It's one thing to downgrade to an iPhone, it's another thing to downgrade further to some sort of clip-on lens. Physical alignment is PARAMOUNT to good photos in that scenario, and I just don't see an iPhone having a means to provide a well-centered mounting method for a lens, and/or the lens itself having a proper mount to get it that well positioned.

LensRentals.com has several good articles about teleconverters that go between a DSLR and a lens, making a 200mm lens into a 280mm (1.4x) or 400mm (2x), at the obvious "expense" of aperture. They make a fantastic point in one of those articles: the lens has already gathered the light and sent it towards the sensor. Sticking a TC in the path to monkey with those well-aligned rays of light in new and different ways doesn't work well. It works best for longer focal-length lenses, presumably because they're gathering rays of light that were already rather parallel. A clip-on iPhone lens is so far away from that scenario.

I know many “big camera owners”... an old dslr with a kit lens... or even a “big” bridge camera... that they have only used on auto.... and they don’t even know how to use the AF system... so their iPhone photos are actually superior.

Just because someone owns a “big camera” doesn’t mean they are used to taking quality photos.

I know many “big camera owners”... an old dslr with a kit lens... or even a “big” bridge camera... that they have only used on auto.... and they don’t even know how to use the AF system... so their iPhone photos are actually superior.

Just because someone owns a “big camera” doesn’t mean they are used to taking quality photos.

Couldn't agree more. It sometimes makes me smile to see someone with a really nice Nikon or Canon - big time lenses and the camera is set to auto. Granted, I am a photographer from the old F2AS, MD3 Motor (the whole works) to include darkroom...but still....

Shoot guys! It only takes 20 minutes or so to learn the wonders of manual settings!! :D

Look at it this way - experiment!! It's not like you are burning through 50 rolls of Kodak film.....that memory card can be erased!! ;p

Hello everyone! I was hoping someone could recommend a good clip on lens for my iPhone in leu of taking my big camera on all my excursions during my upcoming Alaskan cruise aboard NCL Jewel in August.

I’ll start with a caveat or two. I have a big camera, I have an iPhone, and I use both within the realms where their respective capabilities fit the scene. The iPhone is amazingly wonderful. I use mine for shots of the well displayed food in the MDR, snappies of family or friends, for-the-record shots of menus or signposts.

I too have seen ads for iPhone add-ones. I have been intrigued. But I have been a serious (albeit amateur) photographer for 50 years and I long ago learned that there is no magic. A camera is as good as it was designed to be, and any after-the-fact add-ons gimmickry will almost inevitably degrade rather than improve your images.

Stick with your real camera. Save your phone for talking and texting.

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’ll start with a caveat or two. I have a big camera, I have an iPhone, and I use both within the realms where their respective capabilities fit the scene. The iPhone is amazingly wonderful. I use mine for shots of the well displayed food in the MDR, snappies of family or friends, for-the-record shots of menus or signposts.

I too have seen ads for iPhone add-ones. I have been intrigued. But I have been a serious (albeit amateur) photographer for 50 years and I long ago learned that there is no magic. A camera is as good as it was designed to be, and any after-the-fact add-ons gimmickry will almost inevitably degrade rather than improve your images.

Stick with your real camera. Save your phone for talking and texting.

Stan

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I absolutely agree. A year or so back, my DW purchased a Samsung Galaxy camera. Looks (for all intents and purposes) like a cell phone. However it is a camera that has Email and all kinds of other cool stuff. You can literally take a shot with this crazy camera and upload it to Facebook 5 seconds later (if that is your thing :) )

Both of us are now "older" (I'll leave it at that) and she tends to shake a little now and then. The image stabilization on that camera is amazing. I don't remember the resolution on that thing, but it is really nice.

We both have iPhones for cell usage and the "occasional" photos. My biggest gripe with the camera is that (and this is MY shortcoming) 9 times out of 10 I forget to wipe the lens...... :D Sometimes it looks like I am in London on a foggy day ;)

The article Havoc mentioned lists the Moment case/lens as an option. It has a case precisely to help align the lens properly.

Yes, there's an expense to aperture. However, the iPhone (particularly the newer models) already has an incredible processing engine that's far better than your typical auto setting on a dedicated camera. As long as you're not trying to blow up any of these photos, it'll be more than adequate. Most people just share their photos on Facebook or text message anyways. Your iPhone is fine for that.

We're all talking about all those people who leave their DSLRs in auto mode. Most of those aren't going to be lugging their cameras around all the time either. Whereas your phone is always with you. It just falls back to the "the best camera is the one you have with you."

These clip on iPhone lenses don't cost a lot either. It's worth it to just get one. Easy to carry and low cost. There's not a lot of downside to getting one if you get that one cool shot you otherwise wouldn't have bothered to try and get.

Sometimes when you are using a quality camera and are immersed in what you doing on an excursion and suddenly want to capture a moment you don’t have time to make adjustments. So my default is to leave the camera on auto and adjust the settings when and if you have the time.

On the iPhone issue I would skip the iPhone add on lens and just spend the $25 for the cord that lets you transfer photos from your SD card to your iPhone.

The iPhone camera is as good as iTunes, which compresses music. ITunes is fine for pop music in the background but if you want to listen to classical and really enjoy it you need a CD or vinyl and a modest amp and speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums