Making Cuba a Port of Call

CruiseHealing

This is totally hypothetical, but hopefully it won't be soon. Would you be interested in having Cuba as a port of call? And if so, would you like to see more than one port of call in Cuba, you know different ports around the island? Maybe a cruise with just stop at Cuba ports. And would you be willing to pay a premium rate for the experience?

Please do not make this thread a politcl discussion.

Your right there are alot of great islands to sail to, but a new port is always good. The reason I asked the questions was because I was on Google Earth and was looking at the beautiful blue waters and nice beaches. So, I wonder what other cruisers thought.

YES, you're absolutely correct about that. I was stationed at Gitmo for a year, and enjoyed "our beach", but there are so many other factors involved with Cuba. As you said, I don't want to make this a political thing, but once again, there are so many other islands, with equally as beautiful water, and beaches. (St. Thomas/St John is my absolute favorite!) ;)

"SKY"

This is totally hypothetical, but hopefully it won't be soon. Would you be interested in having Cuba as a port of call? And if so, would you like to see more than one port of call in Cuba, you know different ports around the island? Maybe a cruise with just stop at Cuba ports. And would you be willing to pay a premium rate for the experience?

Please do not make this thread a politcl discussion.

I think it's a great idea, and I would definitely choose a cruise that included Cuba, over one that didn't. Not necessarily one that was only Cuba, though.

I made a port call in Cuba in the '70's. Of course I was on a Navy ship and the port was Guantanamo Bay. Liked what I saw of the island on this side of the barbed wire and mine fields and enjoyed the snorkeling that I did. Not sure if I'd want to pay a premium but I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other parts of the island.

Yes!!!! Anthony Bourdain recently did an episode there and has peaked my interest in visiting Cuba. It looks like a culturally rich country with interesting people. Yes, we could bring politics into this, but there are stops in Haiti and we've all seen how the Haitians are treated.

Sent from my phone....not responsible for crazy auto-corrections!!!

Nope, I'm really not interested, and I absolutely wouldn't pay extra for the privilege of porting in Cuba. There are so many other GREAT islands, and ports in the Caribbean. ;)

"SKY"

I have to agree with this 100%. No way I'd pay extra to visit when I can visit other comparable islands (for what I like anyway, beach time and a few cocktails) for less than a premium fee.

Your right there are alot of great islands to sail to, but a new port is always good. The reason I asked the questions was because I was on Google Earth and was looking at the beautiful blue waters and nice beaches. So, I wonder what other cruisers thought.

As you know, many Canadians vacation there. We've been there three times. On an all inclusive resort, there's not much difference than other Spanish speaking Caribbean Islands with beautiful beaches.

However, if you venture outside the resort, you're in for a real treat and a different life style from the US & Canada. It`s like living in a twilight zone with so many 1950`s cars. The Cuban people are very polite, there`s absolutely no begging and they are very nice people. Also, from our experience, it is a very safe island.

I cannot see why there would need to be any premium for a cruise ship port of call? Cuba, like most Caribbean Islands, is very dependant on the tourist trade.

I don`t want to sound political but, except for the USA, I don`t know of any other nation that prevents their people from going there?

Yes, I'd definitely like to visit Cuba. Two main reasons are because of its proximity to the US cruiseports and the natural beauty. Political discussions aside, after Castro's brother passes from power, we may yet lift the current travel embargo. They have recently eased some restrictions, for educational or humanitarian reasons or whatever it was. Cuba was a favored playground for US citizens prior to 1959 and will be again someday. I believe Cuba is so poor they would love the influx of money American tourists will bring. Its a question of who we are empowering.

US citizens can legally go to Cuba now, if it is through an organization that is accredited for it. Unfortunately not on a cruise; at least, not yet.

I've long wanted to visit Cuba and will likely get there this year via one of these accredited land tours. I want to see things now before Diamonds International and Margaritaville move in...

Archived