Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

My wife and I are booked on a Stockholm to Paris cruise and, due to work committments have to arrive in Stockholm (from Australia) on the day of the cruise (19 August). We land at 7am and so will probably clear the airport at about 8am.

My guess is we won't be able to get on the ship until about noon, so, with luggage in tow, I am looking for suggestions on what to do with those 4 or 5 hours. My only thought is a tour guide who can drive us around to a few of the sights then drop us at the port.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to which tour company might be best to do this or perhaps something else we could do?

Somewhere I saw something about an audio about the Vasa Ship that can be downloaded. Now, I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help?

This may be what you are looking for.

http://www.vasamuseet.se/en/visit/mp3-guide/

It was a bit cumbersome to download (I couldn't figure out how to do it other than track by track), but I was successful and the bits I listened to sound very interesting

Am I right that, during September, the ceremony is only on Wed, Sat, and Sun?

changing of the guards happens each day, however as you say during autumn/winter/spring the parade is only held on Wednesdays and weekends.

full schedule for the rest of the year:

http://www.forsvarsmakten.se/upload/H%C3%B6gvaktsavl%C3%B6sning%20med%20musik%20Juni-December.pdf

sippican,

Thank you so much for this link. It is what I needed. Thanks.

Marge

You are very welcome.

I wish I could find more audio tours for the Baltic region. Last year we thoroughly enjoyed working our way through the Med with Rick Steves.

Hi, Desdichado62. We have been reading lots of helpful info here about Stockholm which we can't wait to visit. We will be in Copenhagen next summer & then will start a cruise out of Stockholm where we plan on spending 3 or 4 days so we wondered about actually renting a car to drive from Copenhagen to Stockholm so we could see a little more of the Swedish countryside. We know it is better part of a day's drive but can you give us a better idea of how long & also if there is any particular route that is better then another?

(1) The distance is about 650km, which will take about 7 hours according

to google maps if you take the fastest route (Route E4).

What route to take depends on allot on you.

Route E4 is basically a freeway all the way and perhaps not that exciting.

A few other options would be either take:

(2a) the Öresund bridge from CPH to Malmö and then follow the west coast north on route E6 to Gothenburg and then change to Route E20 to Stockholm.

(2b) A slight different version of this route would be to head north

on the Danish side of Öresund to Helsingør (Elsinore) and

then take the HH ferries across Öreund to Helsingborg and from

there continue on the E6/E20 to Stockholm via Göteborg.

Both these routes takes about 8½ hours to complete and

the distance is about 750km.

A third option, and in my opinion a more scenic route, would

be to take routes E22 via Lund, Karlskrona, Västervik & Söderköping

to Norrköping. At Norröping you have two options.

(3a) Either take route E4 to Stockholm (9 hours 740km)

(3b) or continue north on Rv 56 via Katrineholm to Eskilstuna where

you either can connect to route E20 to Stockholm 10 hours 794km) or (3c) continue north to Västerås where you can Swittch to route E18

that will take you to Stockholm (11 hours, 839km).

If you feel that you can spare the time, money and energy

i would pick route 3b or 3c.

Map links:

1: http://korturl.com/route1

2a: http://korturl.com/route2a

2b: http://korturl.com/route2b

3a: http://korturl.com/route3a

3b: http://korturl.com/route3b

3c: http://korturl.com/route3c

We will be at Stockholm in August, and interested in seeing some wonderful art work underground in Metro stations, especially from blue lines. Has anyone done that before? Any suggestions (hop on hop off stations)?

Also from metro website, it seems there are suspended service on blue line from 6/25-10/22/2012. Any locals have suggestions how to plan around it? Thanks in advance.

"Metro services between Rådhuset and Kungsträdgården will be suspended between 25 June and 22 October, due to construction work on the new City Line."

http://sl.se/en/Om-SL/Nyheter/Constr...ue-Metro-line/

We will be at Stockholm in August, and interested in seeing some wonderful art work underground in Metro stations, especially from blue lines. Has anyone done that before? Any suggestions (hop on hop off stations)?

Also from metro website, it seems there are suspended service on blue line from 6/25-10/22/2012. Any locals have suggestions how to plan around it? Thanks in advance.

"Metro services between Rådhuset and Kungsträdgården will be suspended between 25 June and 22 October, due to construction work on the new City Line."

http://sl.se/en/Om-SL/Nyheter/Constr...ue-Metro-line/

Unfortunately the organized tours conducted by SL will not use the Blue Line while Kungsträdgården is closed. If you take the bus service suggested to Rådhuset and then enter the blue line for a ride "out and back" you can see these stations. I think they are some of the most interesting. I wish they published more information in English...but they are worth seeing. I've been warned to use some caution at the stations toward the end of the blue line because the neighborhoods can be rough but I think the person was being a bit prejudice.

I live in Stockholm and love all the cruiseships that are comming here all the summer.

Do you need any information about the town or transportation, just ask and I will try to answer....

How does one get from Stadsgarden Port to the National Museum of Antiquities? It doesn't seem to be a popular place to go but sounds fascinating to us. Thank you in advance.

How does one get from Stadsgarden Port to the National Museum of Antiquities? It doesn't seem to be a popular place to go but sounds fascinating to us. Thank you in advance.

If you will also visit the Vasa Museum it may be good to know that they are located not far from each other. The Metro may be convenient but if you take bus 76 from Slussen to Djurgårdsbron instead you will see something of Stockholm as you travel. But not if you are in Stockholm on a Sunday, then bus 76 is not available.

To get from Stadsgården Port to Slussen you can take almost any bus that has a stop outside the port area. Tickets for the bus should be bought in the kiosk at the quay before you leave the port area. Tickets can not be bought on the buses in Stockholm.

Here is a link to a map that may be some help:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.0004c40155900aa9c33ef&msa=0&ll=59.324345,18.089933&spn=0.030477,0.057592

If you will also visit the Vasa Museum it may be good to know that they are located not far from each other. The Metro may be convenient but if you take bus 76 from Slussen to Djurgårdsbron instead you will see something of Stockholm as you travel. But not if you are in Stockholm on a Sunday, then bus 76 is not available.

To get from Stadsgården Port to Slussen you can take almost any bus that has a stop outside the port area. Tickets for the bus should be bought in the kiosk at the quay before you leave the port area. Tickets can not be bought on the buses in Stockholm.

Here is a link to a map that may be some help:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.0004c40155900aa9c33ef&msa=0&ll=59.324345,18.089933&spn=0.030477,0.057592

North-bound, thank you for the information and map! Is the Antiquities Museum worth seeing? Are tourist missing a hidden gem?

If you arrive at "Stadsgårdskajen" with the ship ( I have seen Emerald Princess there a lot of times this summer) you can take the hop on hop off boat from there to "Djurgården". Djurgården is an island there you find booth Vasa Museum and Skansen. It is only about a 10 minutes walk between them. After that you can take the hop on hop off boat to Gamla Stan and then back to the ship. Plan more time for Skansen than for Vasamusem is my advice. It is realistic to see this 3 things in one day, but it depends how much time you will spend on every place.

I think The boatticket for one day cost about 10 euro. But I´m not shure.

It could be good to have some swedish money with you. In a lot of places you can pay with credit card, but some money is good to have.

Thank you this is very helpful, I am going on the Emerald Princess and was wondering how to get to the Vasa museum and back. I am thinking of getting the stockholm card as you get free travel on the boats included

Thank you this is very helpful, I am going on the Emerald Princess and was wondering how to get to the Vasa museum and back. I am thinking of getting the stockholm card as you get free travel on the boats included

I e-mailed Stromma--the HoHo boat folks--and this is their reply

Yes, the boats joins incoming cruise ships to take them from the dock to Vasa museum and Old Town.

The tickets are sold either on board (cash only) or by our outdoor sellers on the dock (cash or credit card).

The cost in 2012 is 40 SEK for an individual trip or 100 SEK for 24 hrs. You can even purchase the passes on line. We will be on the Emerald Princess in 2013 and think we will only have time for Vasa and Gamla Stan.

http://www.stromma.se/en/STOCKHOLM/Tours/Stockholm-Sightseeing/Boat-Tours/Hop-on-Hop-off1/

Edited by Alaskanb

The Ho/Ho boats seems to be a good way to go to the Vasa Museum in the morning if your ship is docked at Stadsgården port. And this year the Emerald Princess is booked to dock there for all upcoming cruises. Passengers on ships that dock at Frihamnen or Värtahamnen can't use boats to get to and from the ports.

But the Ho/Ho boats are not included in the Stockholm Card this year, only the regular ferry from Slussen to Djurgården is. So unless you intend to visit a lot of musuems there is doubt if the card will be worth buying.

North-bound, thank you for the information and map! Is the Antiquities Museum worth seeing? Are tourist missing a hidden gem?

It is difficult to give advice on what to see, it depends so much on personal interests. I used to go there quite often when I grow up and as a student, I was very interested in history. But now it is probably more than 45 yers since I last visited so I prefer not to say anything about what it is today.

If we are docked at 167 Stadsgarden, how far is the Vasa?

It is not very far if you could fly like a bird across the water. But if you intend to walk it may be a good idea to take some form of transport, at least some of the way. I think it is just over 3 miles.

Here is a link to the map where you can find your port and the Vasa Museum:https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=200939608343314501629.000448dadb8bebb56f079&msa=0&ll=59.324082,18.088646&spn=0.030477,0.057592

Edited by north-bound

The Ho/Ho boats seems to be a good way to go to the Vasa Museum in the morning if your ship is docked at Stadsgården port. And this year the Emerald Princess is booked to dock there for all upcoming cruises. Passengers on ships that dock at Frihamnen or Värtahamnen can't use boats to get to and from the ports.

But the Ho/Ho boats are not included in the Stockholm Card this year, only the regular ferry from Slussen to Djurgården is. So unless you intend to visit a lot of musuems there is doubt if the card will be worth buying.

Thank you for this - for some reason I thought that the boats were included. I am only going to the Vasa and the walking around the old town and if I have time going to the Royal Place.

Hi! I have been trying to find a good web site that shows and names some of the more beautiful (and they are indeed beautiful - and unique!) tunnelbana stations. I love the cave stations, which I hear are on the blue and (I think) red (?) lines. My favorite is the black and white art deco-ish (I think) station but understand that's closed. I also love the one with blue flower motif - is that at Centralen? That particular part of Centralen (with blue flowers) is not the part that's closed, right? Where is the very red cave-type ceiling?? How about the one with blue ceiling and rainbow stripe? Where are the most colorful stations? Is there any web site you've seen that shows and names some of these colorful stations, especially any that are near Centralen (not out in the suburbs)? Also, many stations I viewed on a "Swedish subway/Stockholm metro - world's longest art museum" video showed pretty dark stations. Is that just because the pictures were taken at night to be without people, or some other reason (not enough light to get things properly lit?). I'm fine with a little darkness, but just wondered if those particular stations were really that dark.

My research is going slowly as there are youtubes and images in google and general information but not any easy way to look for the stations that interest me. Therefore, I thought I'd see if you knew. If not, it's no big deal, as I still have a month before I go and will likely figure something out by then!

Thanks much for your help to all of us cruise passengers very excited to visit your beautiful city. Unfortunately, my cruise ends there, so I will only have 3 hours before I have to head to the airport, so I will have to pick just one or two things to see!

Edited by roothy123

Art in Stockholm's Tunnelbana.

Roothy123, I don't know if this site could help you, it is only in Swedish;

http://sl.se/sv/Om-SL/Det-har-ar-SL/Konsten-i-trafiken/Konsten-pa-stationen/?l=288&s=335&p=1#station

At the top you can see the three different lines, Röd means of course red,

grön means green and blå means blue. Click on the line you want to see and a list of all the stations will appear so that you can click on any station and get information about the art at that station. The first and the last stations are at the beginning and end of the lines, The stations in the middle, listed next to T-centralen where all lines meet, are the most central.

The information has a lot of text, but there are also pictures. I hope you can find the stations you would be interested in. And you already know that some of the stations on the blue line are closed this summer.

Edited by north-bound

Art in Stockholm's Tunnelbana.

Roothy123, I don't know if this site could help you, it is only in Swedish;

http://sl.se/sv/Om-SL/Det-har-ar-SL/Konsten-i-trafiken/Konsten-pa-stationen/?l=288&s=335&p=1#station

Thank you very much! I just clicked on every station of all 3 metro lines. Kungstradgarden, my favorite, does not show an advisory of being closed, but obviously you've told us it IS! Maybe they will update the site soon - such a disappointment, but I know things have to be protected and renovated, etc. There is an advisory for T-Centralen that states that the blue leaves on the ceiling there are covered with plastic netting. At least a couple stations not too far from Centralen look awesome, so hopefully I'll be able to visit those.

I was able to use Google translate to get a fairly good idea of what the narrative was, so now I have a much better idea of what stations might interest me, along with info on the artists. That is one beautiful subway system!

Thanks again!

Edited by roothy123