Manly Ferry

Just a quick question I was pondering over today; how easy is it to catch the Manly Ferry and sail along side a cruise ship leaving Sydney Harbour? It would be easier finding on the return trip to Circular Quay I dare say, but that would mean cutting our evening a little short at the bar we all like across the harbour. We were planning on sailing out around the same time as the Rhapsody of the Seas on February 1st, both leaving Circular Quay around 1830. Would it be better leaving a half hour earlier/later to catch it, or would/could it catch up with us?

Those ferries don't mess about once they pull away from the wharf at Circular Quay. If you caught a ferry that left at the same time the cruise ship was expected to depart the ferry would probably be half way to Manly by the time the cruise ship rounded the Opera House. The big ships take a while to get moving I think.

I would say that you'd have a better chance of getting a good look at the cruise ship if you were coming back from Manly. It would be very hard to work out the timing going in the same direction

Those ferries don't mess about once they pull away from the wharf at Circular Quay. If you caught a ferry that left at the same time the cruise ship was expected to depart the ferry would probably be half way to Manly by the time the cruise ship rounded the Opera House. The big ships take a while to get moving I think.

I would say that you'd have a better chance of getting a good look at the cruise ship if you were coming back from Manly. It would be very hard to work out the timing going in the same direction

I figured that'd be the case. We've done the trip many times before but never really had a need to time it, so we never gave it a thought. Just a thought, at least.

So much depends on whether the cruise ship departs on time, how long it takes to get away from the wharf, and whether it has to turn around before heading out of the harbour - can't remember whether they reverse in to the OPT or go in frontwards and reverse out.

There is another ferry at 18:50 which may catch up with the cruise ship and pass it but you'd have to just try it and hope, I guess.

Some of the cruise ships take a while to leave the dock - it can be a bit of a manoeuvring feat especially with all the ferries and river-cats coming and going. Although, the pilot boat will always halt all the water craft if they need to to enable the ship right of way.

The larger cruise ships go in aft at the OPT so can head straight out, but the smaller ships need to reverse out and then turn to head out towards the heads.

I would think you would have more chance if you caught a ferry after the ship was due to leave.....but I also think you would have to be very lucky to catch up with it.....but you never know. It is an interesting question and one I will be observing next time I sail out of Sydney Harbour.

Perhaps if you left Manly Wharf at the time the cruise ship was due to depart, then you'd be most likely to at least pass each other at some point on the harbour.

Would hardly call Diamond Princess "small"

A year ago on her at OPT we "Drove" in Bow first.

So she reversed out!:)

As suggested earlier, a water taxi is the best bet.

Edited by yatchet

Voyager of the Seas and the Solstice are the only two ships that "back in" to the OPTand maybe the "Queens" when they come out here but at as everybody has said a water taxi might give you the best chance of doing what you want to do.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. It was nothing more than an 'I wonder if...' situation that, if 'if' was doable, we would do.

And yes, the QM2, when docked at the OPT we went in backwards. I suppose it all depends upon which side the entrance to the ship is, as not all are set out symmetrically.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone. It was nothing more than an 'I wonder if...' situation that, if 'if' was doable, we would do.

And yes, the QM2, when docked at the OPT we went in backwards. I suppose it all depends upon which side the entrance to the ship is, as not all are set out symmetrically.

The Solstice & Voyager could go bow in at the OPT, they have the access on both sides, but where those entrances are situated along the side of the ship means that if they were bow in the ship would be too far into Circular Quay and would obstruct some ferry movements

I watched the Rhapsody leave Circular Quay a few days ago. It goes "head" first in to the OPT the same as the Radiance. It took almost an hour from cast off to the time she was facing the right way and starting to very very slowly move towards the heads. In that time a ferry leaving for Manly would be there already. As the ship was finishing its reversing and turning, and as it was passing in front of the Opera House, larger ferries heading the Manly direction were delayed, sitting in the main area of Circular Quay for about 15 minutes to half an hour waiting for the manoeuvring to finish. Once they could squeeze past though, they overtook the Rhapsody very easily. I don't think a ferry in any direction is going to be a very good option for watching a cruise ship leave. Hope that helps! :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We would like to go to Manly on the ferry....is evening a good time to go and if so who is recommended and where from please?

We are sailing from Sydney on Radiance on February 14th and would go either the 12th or 13th..........

Colin

The Manly Ferry is a public ferry which runs only from one place -- Circular Quay which is adjacent to the Sydney Overseas passenger Terminal. There are a number of wharfs at Circular Quay but only one is used for the Manly Ferry

Barry

We would like to go to Manly on the ferry....is evening a good time to go and if so who is recommended and where from please?

We are sailing from Sydney on Radiance on February 14th and would go either the 12th or 13th..........

If you want the best of both worlds catch a ferry to Manly in the late afternoon and enjoy the views of the harbour in daylight. That will give you time for a leisurely stroll around Manly, and there are plenty of restaurants in Manly for dinner. Once it's dark, catch the ferry back to Circular Quay and you will get lovely views of both the harbour at night and the city lights.

And don't forget if you have a Seniors Card or Concession card it is $2.50 to ride the buses, trains and FERRIES in Sydney, inc ye olde Manly Ferry, but the Jet Cat is extra I think, well it was. I don't live in Steak & Kidney these days.

Edited by NSWP

Psssst, I used to live in Sydney, and the Sydney Ferries are the BEST way of tourists, getting around the beautiful Sydney Harbour.

It's not only going to Manly, but to other places around Sydney Harbour!!!!

Every time I do a cruise which ends in Sydney (I now live in paradise - Qld)

I tell the overseas visitors, lots of information regarding to the harbour, ferries, beaches, boutique breweries in the Rocks area, etc, etc......I still have that little bit of Sydney still in me, and enjoy it when I go down to Sydney to see my sister & husband.

Last time I finished a cruise in Sydney, was on the Celebrity Millenium, after a transpacific cruise from Hawaii, via Tahitian Islands (god's country), I was fortunate to be able to advice some nice Americans about what to see in Sydney, and the hidden or secret parts of Sydney, that the tourist guides don't tell you.

Not quite a ferry response but (as has been mentioned elsewhere before) a great alternative to the Bridge climb is the Pylon lookout....$8.50 for seniors & great views. Just a lot of steps but worth it. You can get an outstanding look at the harbour & the activity at Circular Quay.