Dress Code

eliana

I once got asked to leave the bar at Claridge's Hotel in London. Not because I was dressed improperly but because the lady I was with - the actress Jeanne Moreau - was wearing a trouser suit. I also remember visiting the actor Dirk Bogarde in his usual suite at the Connaught Hotel. He was wearing an open-necked shirt and jeans. After a while he went into his bedroom to change into a suit and tie, explaining that the Connaught gave him a complimentary room on the condition that he was seen in the lobby and the lounge each day. He had to dress accordingly.
This is the most awesome thing I've ever read on Cruise Critic.

Catlover54: You and I were posting at the same time yesterday so I didn't read your post until today. IMO, your comments were right on point. Laughingly agree that "turkey necks" look fine dressed up but I feel that the anything like a tuxedo that is a bit tight around the neck accentuates the issue.

Stevenb: Very surprised that Holland America is trying to entice Baby Boomers to sail with them. From what I hear about the average age on HAL, I suppose they consider Baby Boomers youngsters;)

Mark_K: "Collared" shirts is why some Regent passengers wear polo shirts. Some people would wear collared t-shirts if it were permitted. .

Fletcher: Thank you so much for sharing the stories and how few places in the England still require formal attire. This makes it even more puzzling why some Brits feel so strongly about having formal dress on Silversea. My DH is British and has no desire to wear a tuxedo (he is the one that commented that men of a certain age - with "turkey necks" should not wear them). He is very comfortable with either a suit or sports coat.

rojaan19: As a proud Baby Boomer, I certainly hope so:)

fizzy: I'm fairly confident that most of us understand the dress codes of each cruise line and do make decisions as to which line to cruise based on our personal criteria. It is nice, however, to be able to discuss how some people would like things to be. For instance, I would love if Seabourn changed their smoking policy, if Regent would do away with included excursions and if Silversea had a slightly less formal dress code. Discussions such as this one could cause some cruise lines to make changes. On the other hand, I'm not holding my breath!

Edited by Travelcat2

Wise not to hold you breath, TC2. We each have to decide which policy offends us most and stay away from that line. My own personal choice is staying away from Regent because of the shore excursions. It offends me. Others will have different perspectives but talking it to death won't change a thing.

• 2 weeks later...

DH and I are booked for 11 nights in the Caribbean on the Wind next February. I am a bit surprised to see 3 formal nights on this sailing, especially given the Caribbean. itinerary with no sea days.

Don't get me wrong, I love dressing up, and always follow the dress code, even though the previous ships I have sailed on haven't done one bit of enforcing! However, I believe this cruise DH and I will have one or two formal nights, and perhaps enjoy the room service for the other night(s). We have pretty adventurous excursions planned for every day, and I'm not sure we will have the energy or desire to put on the tux and ball gown. By the way, I am 31, and therefore probably a much younger demographic that usual on SS....

DH and I are booked for 11 nights in the Caribbean on the Wind next February. I am a bit surprised to see 3 formal nights on this sailing, especially given the Caribbean. itinerary with no sea days.

Don't get me wrong, I love dressing up, and always follow the dress code, even though the previous ships I have sailed on haven't done one bit of enforcing! However, I believe this cruise DH and I will have one or two formal nights, and perhaps enjoy the room service for the other night(s). We have pretty adventurous excursions planned for every day, and I'm not sure we will have the energy or desire to put on the tux and ball gown. By the way, I am 31, and therefore probably a much younger demographic that usual on SS....

I don't know how you know there will be 3 formal nights on cruise a year from now. We are going on an 11 night Caribbean cruise on Spirit this month and just recently received our Voyage Planner which states there will be 2 formal nights, 6 informal, and 3 casual.

I don't know how you know there will be 3 formal nights on cruise a year from now. We are going on an 11 night Caribbean cruise on Spirit this month and just recently received our Voyage Planner which states there will be 2 formal nights, 6 informal, and 3 casual.

We are on Spirit end of month Caribbean 11 day and have the same 2 formal nights, 6 informal, and 3 casual

I am just repeating what the cruise planner from SilverSea told me on the phone when I booked. Maybe he is mistaken. Two formal nights would be much better given the itinerary.

I have not been on the Cloud since 2013, but have been on the Spirit twice since, last was Feburary 2015. There were 3 dress codes, for different nights and different venues, as Randy noted, and I believe these applied and still do apply, in principle, on all regular SS ships, am not sure about expeditions.

A contribution, if it's of interest: I was on Explorer last year, going up the west coast of Africa. While no one dressed like a bum, it was anything goes at breakfast and lunch and if your pants and shirt were clean at dinner you were good. But that was an exotic expedition.

And a thank you: Herself and I have been thinking about a non-expedition Silversea cruise, and this discussion of dress codes and such is very helpful. Thanks to all.

• 3 months later...

Newbie here so forgive me. I had the impression from looking at their websites that Crystal was more formal than Silversea. Is that not correct? We thought that our extended family group looking for an Alaska cruise would feel more comfortable on the Shadow than on the Crystal Serenity. Can anyone comment on the overall culture of the two cruise lines in terms of demographics and formality? Nobody in our group will be packing a tuxedo so we will either be a notch down on a formal night or taking advantage of an alternative option such as in-room dining or a non formal setting.

Also, are all cabins on the Silversea non-smoking? I had just assumed that most cruise ships are almost entirely non-smoking except for certain designated areas, but these references to smoking are making me nervous.

Thanks!

Newbie here so forgive me. I had the impression from looking at their websites that Crystal was more formal than Silversea. Is that not correct? We thought that our extended family group looking for an Alaska cruise would feel more comfortable on the Shadow than on the Crystal Serenity. Can anyone comment on the overall culture of the two cruise lines in terms of demographics and formality? Nobody in our group will be packing a tuxedo so we will either be a notch down on a formal night or taking advantage of an alternative option such as in-room dining or a non formal setting.

Thanks!

I think that Silversea is in fact MORE formal than Crystal. On Crystal Serenity men can get away with never having on a necktie or jacket: They simply go to Tastes on Black Tie Optional (BTO) evenings. Tastes is always casual. With Symphony there is no Tastes and men would need at least a jacket (no necktie) on BTO evenings. Silversea (as I recall from last cruise not that long ago) has a number of "informal" evenings requiring a jacket. Crystal has only casual or BTO.

I understood that for Alaska 7 day cruises , as mentioned by the previous poster, there are no formal night requirements - as stated on the SS website? We are on a cruise next year, and are combining this with a much longer Rockies/ Vancouver / Seattle trip. Coming from the UK , we do not want to carry necessary luggage, and therefore would not choose to bring formal evening wear unless absolutely necessary! I would always wish to adhere to dress guidelines - and prefer to dine in the main dining room. Hopefully my OH can get away with jacket/ tie?

I understood that for Alaska 7 day cruises , as mentioned by the previous poster, there are no formal night requirements - as stated on the SS website? We are on a cruise next year, and are combining this with a much longer Rockies/ Vancouver / Seattle trip. Coming from the UK , we do not want to carry necessary luggage, and therefore would not choose to bring formal evening wear unless absolutely necessary! I would always wish to adhere to dress guidelines - and prefer to dine in the main dining room. Hopefully my OH can get away with jacket/ tie?

Indeed formal nights on 7-day cruises in Alaska, the Mediterranean, and the Baltic are optional but a jacket is required so your OH will be just fine.

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a search for Formal Optional and came across this thread. We are sailing on Spirit Aug. 5 - Athens to Venice - and mysilversea says Formal Optional for one night. Good to know DH can just wear a jacket and tie even though we're eating at La T that night. He'll be sooo glad not to have to buy a new suit.

• 2 weeks later...

I just visited the My SS section for info on my Oct. 24 FLL to Bridgetown sailing and was surprised to see 3 formal nights indicated. I had thought things were a bit more relaxed on Carib voyages ??

Kind of funny that 'formal' has become more of an issue for men than for women.

(aside to OP - beautiful name, Eliana. It's my granddaughter's as well)

A contribution, if it's of interest: I was on Explorer last year, going up the west coast of Africa. While no one dressed like a bum, it was anything goes at breakfast and lunch and if your pants and shirt were clean at dinner you were good. But that was an exotic expedition.

That is one reason why Silver Explorer is such a nice ship. :D

I just visited the My SS section for info on my Oct. 24 FLL to Bridgetown sailing and was surprised to see 3 formal nights indicated. I had thought things were a bit more relaxed on Carib voyages ??

Kind of funny that 'formal' has become more of an issue for men than for women.

(aside to OP - beautiful name, Eliana. It's my granddaughter's as well)

Not to question you but the only October 24 departure I see is a 12-day New York to Bridgetown that doesn't stop in Ft Lauderdale. ???? If that's the right cruise then a 12-day cruise should 2 formal, 6 informal, and 4 casual nights. Obviously the fine print on the bottom of the Evening Dress Code list says "subject to change". :)

I have not been on the Cloud since 2013, but have been on the Spirit twice since, last was Feburary 2015. There were 3 dress codes, for different nights and different venues, as Randy noted, and I believe these applied and still do apply, in principle, on all regular SS ships, am not sure about expeditions.

And a thank you: Herself and I have been thinking about a non-expedition Silversea cruise, and this discussion of dress codes and such is very helpful. Thanks to all.

Was on board the WIND in June and they turned a passenger away in the MDR for not wearing a jacket on formal but turned a blind eye to the people that entered wearing JEANS just about every night