HAL’s CPP Platinum Cancel Anytime Insurance

obriendan

Unfortunately we had to cancel our upcoming April 1st Koningsdam cruise for medical reasons. I wish to report how well HAL’s insurance worked. We submitted a cancellation form to our TA and she forwarded it to HAL. Very shortly we received a confirmation email from the TA. It contained the usual statement “Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for the cruise line to refund you back to your original form of payment”.

In less than 24 hours the refund had been credited to our credit card. Kudos to HAL!

Dan

Sorry you had to cancel, Dan, and hope the medical problems are all resolved completely---quickly.

Happy to know that the financial aspects of the cancelation were resolved so quickly themselves.

I had the same experience last January when I had to cancel a cruise a week before it sailed. I had booked through my PCC, so all it took was one phone call to her and everything was taken care of. I had my refund almost immediately.

We had booked air through HAL and the insurance covered that portion as well.

I was pleased with how easy it was as I was not in any condition to do a lot of work on this.

I'm sorry you had to cancel and I hope you feel better.

We've had to use our travel insurance in the past and were also very pleased with how quickly it was processed.

Hope you can cruise again real soon!

Sorry you had to cancel, Dan, and hope the medical problems are all resolved completely---quickly.

Happy to know that the financial aspects of the cancelation were resolved so quickly themselves.

Sorry you had to cancel but happy your refund was received so fast and so effortlessly. wishing you a speedy recovery and a makeup cruise in the near future.

Sorry that you had to cancel your cruise.

Hope your medical problems will be resolved quickly.

We had the Platinum insurance from HAL in 2011 when I fell just 4 days before our cruise and fractured my wrist. Called our TA, she called HAL -- within a couple of days we got back 90% of our money. Didn't have to submit any forms as it says "cancel for any reason".

So sorry you had to cancel your cruise for medical reasons. Praying that the problem is resolved quickly. We had to cancel our 2016 Christmas cruise aboard Rotterdam due to DH's medical problems. Now that he's cleared to travel again, we're off on Friday aboard Oosterdam. Hope your issue doesn't keep both of you from enjoying a cruise in the near future.

Another member of the HAL Platinum plan recent "user's club" here.

I cancelled 48 hours prior to leaving, (due to a serious medical issue that came up with an elderly family member) and my refund was back on my credit card within 3 days. One 10 minute call via my TA was all it took. All refunds for dining and shorex were also refunded even before that. It took longer to return my foreign currency at the bank.

For my situation the HAL plan was by far the best- offering 90% return for cruise, precruise tour, and flights.

I had to cancel our cruise to Alaska last summer due to an unexpected medical procedure scheduled for that week. I don't remember how long it took to get the refund from HAL. Be sure to check with your credit card company as well. Mine includes travel insurance that covered the difference between what I paid and what HAL refunded. I had also purchased our hotel room through Priceline (nonrefundable), and my credit card company's insurance covered that amount as well. We had Southwest for our flights, so we were not out any money for them. I was able to use the credit for flights for our December and February cruises.

This is definitely reassuring. I've purchased the Platinum cancellation insurance for my upcoming (first EVER) cruise in September just in case something comes up (before or during), so it's good to read that the process is relatively stress-free.

Thanks everyone for your kind d thoughts. Only 201 days until we leave for a TA from Athens to FLL on the Prinsendam!:)

We we're able to get a no cost voucher from American Airlines for our non-refundable DFW to FLL flight. Took a little searching around the AA website but they will consider a medical reason among others for a refund. Will use voucher for FLL to DFW after the Prinsendam cruise.

Dan

:) The cancel for any reason provision pays a 90% refund. If you need to cancel for a covered medical reason, you should receive a 100% refund. I know this is true because we received a 100% refund for a medical issue affecting a family member.

:) The cancel for any reason provision pays a 90% refund. If you need to cancel for a covered medical reason, you should receive a 100% refund. I know this is true because we received a 100% refund for a medical issue affecting a family member.

Was this after final payment?

And was it prior to 24 hours of sailing?

I think that the following from HAL's website is is what the poster was referring to when he/she said that it covered 100% in the event of illness (note that this is true only in the CPP Platinum Plan):

"CPP Platinum

Our Platinum Cancellation Protection Plan (CPP Platinum) enables you to supplement the benefits provided under the CPP Standard Plan with higher cancellation reimbursement and extends the eligible cancellation period up until the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line. CPP Platinum also provides insurance coverage for trip delays and interruptions, medical expenses and much more. In addition, CPP Platinum includes 24-hour worldwide emergency assistance services.

CPP Platinum is comprised of the following:

SECTION I

Cancel for Any Reason Waiver

Provided by Holland America Line

You may cancel for any reason prior to the start of your scheduled travel (sea, land and/or air) arrangements made by Holland America Line and receive reimbursement equal to 90% of the eligible amounts paid to Holland America Line. Note: CPP Platinum does not protect double-triple-quad occupancy rates should one or more members of your party cancel prior to departure.

Notice to New York Residents: The Holland America Cancel For Any Reason Waiver under the Platinum Plan may be purchased separately from the Travel Insurance Program. Contact 1-877-538-3815 for details.

SECTION II

TRAVEL INSURANCE PROGRAM

Underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company

• Trip Interruption: Enables you to cancel or interrupt your cruise vacation for illness, injury or death to you, an immediate family member or a traveling companion, as well as certain other non-medical reasons affecting you or your traveling companion, and receive up to 150% of your cruise vacation cost.
  • Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and “catch-up” transportation expenses.
  • Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,000. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
  • Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses.
  • Emergency Evacuation/Repatriation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $50,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport. Repatriation coverage provides for shipment of remains in the event of death during the cruise vacation.

This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker."

Thanks everyone for your kind d thoughts. Only 201 days until we leave for a TA from Athens to FLL on the Prinsendam!:)

We we're able to get a no cost voucher from American Airlines for our non-refundable DFW to FLL flight. Took a little searching around the AA website but they will consider a medical reason among others for a refund. Will use voucher for FLL to DFW after the Prinsendam cruise.

Dan

I am beyond envious that you are doing a reprise of that wonderful Prinsendam TA. I hope whatever the medical problem may be and, whichever one of you is affected, that it will quickly be resolved Take care, my friends, I think of you often.

I am beyond envious that you are doing a reprise of that wonderful Prinsendam TA. I hope whatever the medical problem may be and, whichever one of you is affected, that it will quickly be resolved Take care, my friends, I think of you often.

Hi Jane,

Thanks. Barb is recovering well and the tests for spreading were negative!! You should join us on the Princendam. We are trying to get Suzanne and Woody to come along. With you and Helen it would be a 9 year reunion cruise.

Dan and Barb

• 5 months later...