Koningsdam balcony cabin - need category help

Mary Ellen1

Hi there. I want to book a balcony cabin on the Koningsdam, and need some help, please, with deciphering the balcony categories. I want a non-obstructed view balcony. I've seen some mention of balcony railings that are metal, not clear plexiglass. Is that right? So if I want a non-obstructed balcony, with a clear balcony railing, what categories should I be looking at? I might be OK with a guarantee, as long as I knew it wasn't obstructed.

Thanks for your help. :)

• Like 1

The balconies with the steel railings are marked on the deck plans with a black diamond: 4001 to 4020. Everything else has plexiglas. The VH cabins from 4041 to 4167 are obstructed by lifeboats, and the downward view for V cabins from 5048 to 5171 is partially obstructed by the lifeboats. If you book a generic "balcony guarantee" you could be assigned any of these. We like to be up high, so usually choose a VE on deck 7 or 8.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 1

Thank you for the info! Very helpful. I think I'm going to take an assigned cabin, and not worry about a guarantee -- not just because of the railing, and the obstructed-view thing, but because we want to make sure we're in a nice quiet location.

catl331, that's very detailed, and very good, information! Thanks for taking the time to respond. That's exactly what I needed to know. Off to peruse the deck plans more closely...

Thanks y'all! :)

And check out the useful pictures on http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/

catl331, thanks AGAIN for posting that link. I especially appreciate the pictures of the (awfu!) Promenade deck. I had no idea! I love a nice, shady Promenade deck with lounge chairs. The fact that it doesn't exist on the K has me rethinking my cruise choice. Thanks for the heads-up. :*

We were ***** 5053 and loved it. We did not expect the window by the side (not head) of the bed PLUS a doorwall out the balcony. It was a longer room, and the small sofa was by the doorwall in a little nook. While we were above the top of the lifeboats, we don't often look straight down. The balcony was longer than most. The balcony for 5051 was not only longer than average, it was deeper on one end than usual, too.

I agree to stay away from a guarantee, book a specific cabin so you have no worries.

One thing I like to consider when I book a cabin is I like to have cabins above me and below me to help reduce any noise. I have done this on every cruise and have never been disappointed.

I am booked on the Koningsdam with my family and friends March 2019 and have chosen cabins on deck 6, port side, aft, this way we will have no obstructions, cabins above and below us and plexiglass on our balconies.

Enjoy your cruise.

Also on the Koningsdam [and the still building Nieuw Statendam] where the lifeboats are on the ship has them sticking out further than the previous ships. Regulations insist they be within a certain distance from the water. This puts them in a different location on the outside of the ship and causing them to stick out further. I think this is true of all the larger ships - not just HAL.

Even though I was not above the lifeboats [5023 - Gershwin deck] any water/gangway view toward the stern had lifeboats in the way.

We booked 4154 and 4156 and they don’t seem to look down on life boats, hope they have plexiglass, first Hal cruise for us

Great choice. Those two cabins have extra large verandahs and clear Plexiglass railings. They also don't look down on lifeboats.

• 1 year later...

Hi there. 

We have just booked 4154 for our wedding anniversary January  2020.  We got married in st Thomas 3 years ago whilst on a cruise with HAL (Oosterdam) and have been so disappointed with every other cruise line we have been on since. We can’t  wait to return, with our 2 year old son.  If you have any pictures of the large balcony would you be able to post them?? Many thanks in advance 

Matt & Lou

On 9/22/2017 at 12:39 AM, c-cruise said:

We loved our VB cabin aft on deck 4. Extra large (deep) balcony and they look directly down on the ocean with no lifeboats below.

yes all the VB aft cabins are deeper than other decks.

Also look at 4154 and 4156 which are double wide (due to crew work space)... normal  verandah cabin interior... but the balcony is twice as wide as other VB's and twice as deep as verandahs on other decks.

http://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4154-koningsdam/

I provided these pictures from my cruise a month ago.