Only Two?

Calliope

I just checked the "voyage personaliser" for the November crossing which I am on, and it says that there are only two formal nights on this trip. Has Cunard now decreased the number of formal nights on board down to two per week?

The second night out from New York, the evening of "the black and white ball", is listed as being informal. I hope that this is just a mistake on the personaliser, but, if not, it is truly frightening to think that Cunard is further dumbing the experience down. Removing what makes Cunard a stand out in the cruise industry today and becoming more like any other cruise line just doesn't make sense to me.

I just checked the "voyage personaliser" for the November crossing which I am on, and it says that there are only two formal nights on this trip. Has Cunard now decreased the number of formal nights on board down to two per week?

The second night out from New York, the evening of "the black and white ball", is listed as being informal. I hope that this is just a mistake on the personaliser, but, if not, it is truly frightening to think that Cunard is further dumbing the experience down. Removing what makes Cunard a stand out in the cruise industry today and becoming more like any other cruise line just doesn't make sense to me.

I also hope that's a mistake in voyage personaliser. In case it helps, the following dress code schedule document for QM2 found on "ask.cunard.com" is still showing three formal nights and four informal nights for every crossing included in that document, including the crossings coming up in November.

https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/life-on-board/qm_dresscodes.pdf

Regards, John

Perhaps it is going to be an Informal/Formal night, Although could be a mistake. Perhaps You will have to wait till the 13th, although in my experience when this happens most go formal.

IMG_0901.jpg.e10f97bdf40af5a4e25125e62f72a219.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

Hello Calliope, Take no notice of it. This sounds typical of those part time agents working in IT at Cunard 'North American brand'.

The second evening on QM2 , i.e. the evening of the 'first full day at sea' is the Grills & Britannia Club, Captains reception. Common sense suggests this would be a formal evening, not forgetting a 'Black & White Ball'.

Not necessary, We were surprised when on occasions that notice appeared. The only Guarantee is the night before reading the daily rag on the following days dress code, . I Certainly would not just brush it off! Blaming someone else. Unless you are an employee of the company and know otherwise. As I said, Its probably a mistake, however, most when this occurs will dress formally, how ever some of us have experienced the Formal/Informal nights. Remember only a lower percentage of the Whole ship are Grills and Club Class . Also its really not worth mentioning the very minimal amount of deck space is dedicated to Grills passengers on QM2. One Hot tub, small Grills bar and very small dining area, plus a Concierge small lounge . Thats it. So just because its Grills and Club Welcome Party does not mean is defo formal for the rest of the ship. Having said that it is could be a mistake.

Edited by Pennbank

The OP mentioned it is also listed as a Themed Ball i.e. The Black & White Ball. In my experience having completed three round trip crossings this year (2017), the first evening of the first full day at sea on a Transatlantic Crossing has been the first the two themed Balls. Common sense tells us (unless on a world cruise) a themed Ball in the Queens Room ( especially the B&B Ball) is always paired with a formal evening .

Pennbank, you know as well I do, 'Formal/Informal' evenings on Cunard Line are 'very few and far between'. As far as I remember, it has been known once on a Jazz Cruise (QM2 a couple of years ago) and Q.Victoria (in port at Amsterdam New Years evening) On both of these evenings the dress code was only changed at the last minute, and only after guests onboard petitioned the hotel department for an addition formal evening .

The OP mentioned it is also listed as a Themed Ball i.e. The Black & White Ball. In my experience having completed three round trip crossings this year (2017), the first evening of the first full day at sea on a Transatlantic Crossing has been the first the two themed Balls. Common sense tells us (unless on a world cruise) a themed Ball in the Queens Room ( especially the B&B Ball) is always paired with a formal evening .

Pennbank, you know as well I do, 'Formal/Informal' evenings on Cunard Line are 'very few and far between'. As far as I remember, it has been known once on a Jazz Cruise (QM2 a couple of years ago) and Q.Victoria (in port at Amsterdam New Years evening) On both of these evenings the dress code was only changed at the last minute, and only after guests onboard petitioned the hotel department for an addition formal evening .

Bell Boy As I have already said its probably a mistake, although It can not just be dismissed as a mistake, unless notified by the company, The Last Informal/Formal I recall was January on QE. Although it really does not matter as most always dress formal anyway. We all know that on board life is fun and bears little resemblance to whats said in these forums with regards to ones attire.

IMG_0901.jpg.9c60ff2392323969a1c9e42b5a9d18ce.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

I would think it's a mistake but please let us know what happens on board.

Have a great trip.

I am on this crossing. I called Cunard about the Black and White Ball being held when the Voyage Personalizer describes the dress as informal. The representative I spoke with was pleasant but not very helpful: she told me that it “probably “ was a mistake, as it is customary to have formal wear for the balls. Not a terrifically reassuring answer, but based on past experience, I will just assume it’s a formal night and dress as such!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Common sense suggests this would be a formal evening, not forgetting a 'Black & White Ball'.

I'm not too sure that in both of Cunard's offices on either side of the Atlantic common sense runs rampant!;);)

• 4 weeks later...
Hello Calliope, Take no notice of it. This sounds typical of those part time agents working in IT at Cunard 'North American brand'.

The second evening on QM2 , i.e. the evening of the 'first full day at sea' is the Grills & Britannia Club, Captains reception. Common sense suggests this would be a formal evening, not forgetting a 'Black & White Ball'.

The Grills and Britannia Club, Captains Cocktail party was held on the Second full Sea Day, being the Second Formal Night. The Three Captains Cocktail Party's were held on the same Night on the last Two voyages. Early Britannia guests, followed by Grills/Britannia Club followed by Britannia Late dining. The Cunard World Club and the Senior Officers Party were informal. With the latter being held Late Morning.