Not again! Another media beat-up plus possible court case.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/02/06/11/46/cruise-ship-gastro-victims-to-win-thousands-of-dollars-over-nightmare-voyages?ocid=Social-9News%3Focid%3DSocial-9News

It will be interesting to see how far this progresses. It seem a bit unethical to me for media organization lawyers to be pursuing court cases after the issue has been heavily publicised by that organization.

Shine stand to make a lot of money!! Even when they say “no win -no pay” they send bills for - phone calls, emails, post, paper, misc, stamps, ink, the list goes on. Even $20 x 16000 is a lot of small change - win or lose; of course Shine Lawyers are encouraging a court case.

Truly sorry for the people affected on these cruises, don’t think $$ is the answer.

Watching too [emoji102]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How about they sue the halfwit passengers who do not bother to wash their hands etc and cause all this in the first place. To say the cruise lines do not take adequate action to maintain cleanliness on a ship is total crap. (typical of a Channel Nine publicity seeking "exclusive breaking news " stunt.

I don't like it either. I reckon it's up to the passengers. RCl has had a much great emphisis on Hygiene with Washy -Washy when going in & out of WindJammer & other eateries. But they have had a few problems in the last year. Carnival don't go as far & have had none. So the cruise line can do so much. But it's up to the passangers..

How about they sue the halfwit passengers who do not bother to wash their hands etc and cause all this in the first place. To say the cruise lines do not take adequate action to maintain cleanliness on a ship is total crap. (typical of a Channel Nine publicity seeking "exclusive breaking news " stunt.

And the winner is [emoji471]🥇Good one!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure what effect placing a ship in drydock would have on its ability to be "properly" sanitized. And I'm sure I would like to know what industry has "best practices" of "being put in drydock for up to 48 to 72 hours"? The US CDC is recognized as a world leader in infectious disease epidemiology and prevention, and I can definitely say that they have never advocated putting a ship in drydock, and almost never require a ship to be removed from service, even after repeated cruises with high incidences of noro.

And "2 hours" of turnaround? They absolutely have no idea how a cruise ship operates.

Anyone have a link to the Oz ticket contract, with regards to class action suits, or what the applicable laws are down under?

Anyone have a link to the Oz ticket contract, with regards to class action suits, or what the applicable laws are down under?

This is the passage contract for our region. Your expert comments would be appreciated, Chengkp. :)

Not sure what effect placing a ship in drydock would have on its ability to be "properly" sanitized. And I'm sure I would like to know what industry has "best practices" of "being put in drydock for up to 48 to 72 hours"? The US CDC is recognized as a world leader in infectious disease epidemiology and prevention, and I can definitely say that they have never advocated putting a ship in drydock, and almost never require a ship to be removed from service, even after repeated cruises with high incidences of noro.

And "2 hours" of turnaround? They absolutely have no idea how a cruise ship operates.

I agree with your comments about the drydock to sanitize a ship (crazy - the virus isn't found on the hull) and also the 'two hour turnaround'. When we have been on a B2B cruises where noro was present, the ship was thoroughly sanitized between the cruises and also the cruise terminal was sanitised after the disembarking passengers left. New passengers were asked to delay their arrival into the terminal. On board, all the staff (with the exception of senior officers and the Cruise Director etc) were busy cleaning every surface multiple times.

Reports on Facebook that the Sun Princess is heading back from Fiji. Boarding is delayed tomorrow due to a sanitisation for another outbreak of norovirus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh dear. :o:( The salt and pepper shakers are off the table and restroom doors left open, washy, washy !! they say.

Has Norovirus been confirmed as being on the current cruise? I wondered if they've decided to do a sanitization just in case, after all the publicity last week.

Yes. It’s been confirmed by a passenger

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I disagree and find those views wrong. There are plenty of just as guilty crew members who do not take hygiene properly. Over my 16 years of cruising I have witnessed plenty of crew members who do not take hygiene seriously. Examples include lack of gloves in food serving areas, picking up empty drinking glasses by placing their fingers inside the glass and picking up multiple glasses and then collecting fresh drinks from the bar to serve passengers, placing pens between their ear and their hair, recycling pens that have been touched by multiple passengers. It happens on a daily basis. It is called complacency and with all people being human beings and susceptible to mistakes, the crew are no more superhuman, super clean or better in hygiene in any way than the next person. With the advent of social media and also having seen the debauchery that goes on at their crew parties with all the lewd photos really makes you wonder what bacteria, bugs and other germs the crew could be carrying. Trust me I am ex-Navy and like the military navy and the "girl in every port" phrase the same can be said of the crew on cruise ships who are away from family for up to 6 months of a time and may get lonely.

You might think it sounds cool to jump on the bandwagon and blame the passengers, but let me assure you most people are clean tidy and take their health seriously. The cruise line will always inevitably blame the passengers because it is more financially and legally sound for them to accept no liability for the spread of this virus.

Furthermore when the virus is spreading cruise after cruise it is more clear that the crew have not done their job properly disinfecting the ship otherwise the virus would have been eradicated.

Further still on turn-around day the crew have limited time to refresh the cabins and make them ready for the next passengers. Do you honestly think that the crew have cleaned every surface in that cabin to clear all the germs so that it is 100% clean for the next passengers? I do not think so.

I think it is very rude and offensive to blame it on the passengers when the crew can be equally if not more to blame.

I don't know if or who collects data on this for cruises from Oz, but one of the importans ways that epidemiologists in the US (the CDC) track the transmission vectors and probable patient zero for outbreaks like this is to track the trend of the reported cases during the cruise (the number of reported cases, day by day), rather than the total raw numbers. If the numbers tend to spike after the start of a cruise, and then taper off, but then spike again soon after the next cruise starts, they understand that the most likely scenario is passenger re-contamination. If the number spikes and then remains high throughout the cruise, and starts the next cruise at a high level, then the likely scenario is a crewmember.

Remember, noro is spread by someone having poor personal hand hygiene (not washing after going to the restroom). If it were a crewmember, why would their hand hygiene change at any time during their 10 month contract, or would they continue to contaminate surfaces continually? Also, in most cases, the reported percentages of ill crew are lower than the percentages of ill passengers, so which demographic is showing better hygiene?

These, at least, are the findings of the CDC epidemiologists as explained to me during their training seminars and in their studies.

Thanks, Chengkp75, you always provide interesting insights into issues.:) BTW do you mind if I copy and post that info elsewhere?

The first cruise I went on had a Noro outbreak, which started being reported about three days into the cruise I think. The numbers rose during the next few days. On our port stop in Suva they did a complete sanitization of the ship. The numbers started dropping, then all of a sudden climbed again during the last few days of the cruise. I was fairly certain it was passenger recontamination but it's great to have that confirmed.

Now if only they could come up with a way of combating the dreaded cruise cough. :confused: