Store luggage in Manhattan?

WVU_Neal

I’ll be arriving early in the morning on the NCL Gem with a flight from LGA that departs at 4pm. I’m planning on meeting a friend for lunch. I’ll have a large, rolling piece of luggage and a backpack type carryon, which could remain with me.

Where might I store the bag while I spend the day in The City.

Thanks

Neal in Cincinnati.

I’ll be arriving early in the morning on the NCL Gem with a flight from LGA that departs at 4pm. I’m planning on meeting a friend for lunch. I’ll have a large, rolling piece of luggage and a backpack type carryon, which could remain with me.

Thanks

Neal in Cincinnati.

Schwartz Travel on W 37th - http://schwartztravel.mynetworksolutions.mobi/

LGA can be a mess - you need advice about the drop dead time you have to be on your way to the airport. Please post your exact date so the New Yorkers can give you good advice.

Thanks

Neal in Cincinnati.

Some other options....

www.luggagehero.com

www.bagbnb.com

Schwartz Travel on W 37th - http://schwartztravel.mynetworksolutions.mobi/

LGA can be a mess - you need advice about the drop dead time you have to be on your way to the airport. Please post your exact date so the New Yorkers can give you good advice.

Thanks for your help, so far. [emoji41]

I’ll be returning on the Norwegian Gem, returning on Sat. Feb. 3. I should be off the ship by 10 am. My flight departs LGA at 4pm.

Neal from Cincinnati.

Thanks for your help, so far. [emoji41]

I’ll be returning on the Norwegian Gem, returning on Sat. Feb. 3. I should be off the ship by 10 am. My flight departs LGA at 4pm.

Neal from Cincinnati.

You don't have as much time as you think. The advice has been to allow a 3 hour lead time for LGA.

You don't have as much time as you think. The advice has been to allow a 3 hour lead time for LGA.

Thanks for that advice. Normally 3 hours is the recommended lead time for international flights (I suppose for many, a flight to Ohio might be travel to a foreign country.) [emoji4]

Why such a long time? I’m departing at 4pm on a Saturday.

Neal in Cincinnati.

Thanks for that advice. Normally 3 hours is the recommended lead time for international flights (I suppose for many, a flight to Ohio might be travel to a foreign country.) [emoji4]

Why such a long time? I’m departing at 4pm on a Saturday.

Neal in Cincinnati.

Construction at LGA has tied up traffic, traffic congestion on the roads, bridges, and tunnels going to the airport, weather, etc. Getting to LGA can have many points of failure.

I don’t think you have as much time as you think, maybe just keep your luggage with you, maybe just take a cab from the port to the restaurant.

A great suggestion. The op, doesn't have time to drop off and pick up baggage, or they'd have to start being on their way around noon if using street transit.

No comment on how they are getting to LGA? I find the least traffic/construction method is by subway to Roosevelt then the Q70 bus. Subways are more reliable- and I am NOT saying delays don't happen, jut less so. From the Manhattan port, I take the R train, getting on at 42nd street, elevator/escalator (with a couple steps)

Regular NCL cruising out of MCT, both her ships had a inconsistent arrival record lately, didn't sail up the Hudson last week till 8:30 am and dock after 9, and even with priority self disembark, won't get outside till 10 am.

By lunch time, you will need at least 60 to 90 minutes to get from midtown restaurant out to LGA, plus airport congestion to get inside the terminal, then clear TSA to reach the gate. 3+ hours is not excessive at all.

Go w the advice above.4f9572927e410fd5fa1f7dd8b4cf25b6.jpgd44de0f19b023474d15cab57f1c974e8.jpg410f32da32014bb338b162a1a7b1a5a0.jpg

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

A great suggestion. The op, doesn't have time to drop off and pick up baggage, or they'd have to start being on their way around noon if using street transit.

No comment on how they are getting to LGA? I find the least traffic/construction method is by subway to Roosevelt then the Q70 bus. Subways are more reliable- and I am NOT saying delays don't happen, jut less so. From the Manhattan port, I take the R train, getting on at 42nd street, elevator/escalator (with a couple steps)

Where on 42nd Street? Isn’t the subway on 8th Avenue? For you it’s doable because you pack right and know how to cross the streets without getting killed, but for the average newbie it’s not a good idea. It’s a hike with luggage from the MCT

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So far, thanks, everybody. I’m the OP.

My plans are to meet a friend for lunch or something after I disembark the Gem on Feb. 3. As I read it, I’ll likely not have the time nor need to store my large bag anywhere. Not a problem, my bag is a quality rolling bag, so it stays with me.

I’m not sure how I’ll be getting to LGA, subway is not out of the question. I’m comfortable with subway systems, having used them recently in London and DC. It’s been quite awhile since I’ve been to NYC, but should be able to get around.

I will attend to the 3 hour lead time to LGA.

If you all have more ideas or comments, they are, of course, appreciated.

Neal

Sent from my iPad using Forums

... plans are to meet a friend for lunch or something after I disembark the Gem on Feb. 3 ... not sure how I’ll be getting to LGA, subway is not out of the question ... will attend to the 3 hour lead time ...
Are you taking part in your sailing's Roll Call - Pat & Jim are on it (they are running Roll Call's sailing on the Gem later this Spring) & they know the Gem and NYC, inside out and can be a good onboard resources for you, with last minute stretegies on getting out to LGA, ship ran into an iceberg on the Hudson (just kidding), etc.

To maximize time with friend in NYC & a leisure lunch, it sounded like you are packing light enough to do the "Express" self walk-off, which is nice if the ships is running late or just in time. If it is back early like 7:30 or 8 AM - you don't need to rush off but if it's the oppoosite (you should have an idea the night before onboard) - join the big kettle for the rush to get off by 10 AM, allow 30 minutes from the gangway out to 12th Avenue - use the "secret" porter's fast track to get past CBP quicker. Putting you outside by 10:30 or earlier (if early - they will wish to "kick" everyone off the gangway by 10 AM even if you rather hangout in comfort inside ;p

Pax walking off will be leaving the terminal from W. 48th Street & 12th Avenue - if you decided to brave the weather & walk ... and make plans to meet your friend for lunch, depending on where & how s/he is coming from - driving, walking or mass transit ? Time Square North is one possibility - walk over to 7th. Ave/Broadway - around 48th Street and find a place for lunch, maybe one of the nicer hotel's cafe (and, you can leave the bag with the bellhop instead of dragging it around)

Finish off your lunch by 1 or 1:15 PM, 1:30 PM at the latest, walk over to W. 50th Street & 8th Avenue, downstairs into the "E" subway line, express out to Queens for LGA - 74th & Roosevelt Ave. underground station for the free transfer to the Q70 SBS service to the airport (luggage rack equipped) - you will need to use a Metro (fare) Card & get a valid SBS bus ticket printed at 74th & Roosevelt, before boarding the bus. Time Square to Q70 is less than 30 minutes, even on weekend & Q70 to terminal is 15 minutes on average. Cost - $2.75 for the fare + $1 for the MetroCard.

Or, you can hail a taxi (metered fare), Uber (just be mindful of unexpected surge pricing, winter weather being one) or book a car service (Dial 7 or Carmel) to meet & pickup outside the lunch stop - allow 1 hour, weather & road conditions cooperating. Hitting LGA's terminal curbside by 2 PM is good, certainly not later than 2:30 for planning purposes - once you get checked in & beyond TSA to your gate area, you can sit back & relax ... airports are free WiFi enabled these days (Q70 SBS also + subway station's platforms/concourses)

• 1 month later...
Not meaning to hijack this post, but this question is similar in nature. If I land in JFK at 12:40 from an International flight, can I make it to a 5:55 pm flight at Laguardia?

I'd be able to, (and have done it). :) I'd take the Airtrain, to Jamaica Station, E subway to Jackson Hts, then the Q 70 bus.

Not meaning to ... If I land in JFK at 12:40 from an International flight, can I make it to a 5:55 pm flight at Laguardia?
Well, don't know if you have global entry or not and which airline/terminal @JFK, typical time is 90 minutes to 2 hours after a/c taxied to the gate, doors disarmed & pax start to deplane ... automated passport kiosk, then - often a wait for luggage, before proceeding to exit. Midday is a very busy time for oversea arrivals into many JFK terminals.

That would put your transfer to LGA's start time around 3 PM - car service is a flat rate, taxi is metered rate ... in the busy afternoon rush hour (is this a weekend or weekday, roads/traffic is, worst) to LGA, plan trip time is 45 to 60 minutes, that should get you to the terminal for dropoff about 4 PM - do luggage drop, get thru TSA and short walk to the plane's gate.

Is this booked on a single ticket in transit or 2 totally different PNR, etc. in case of delays or whatever ?? As it is, within airline's acceptable cutoff for the transfer - with under 1 hour for delays ... weather is a big unknown.

• 1 month later...
Well, don't know if you have global entry or not and which airline/terminal @JFK, typical time is 90 minutes to 2 hours after a/c taxied to the gate, doors disarmed & pax start to deplane ... automated passport kiosk, then - often a wait for luggage, before proceeding to exit. Midday is a very busy time for oversea arrivals into many JFK terminals.

That would put your transfer to LGA's start time around 3 PM - car service is a flat rate, taxi is metered rate ... in the busy afternoon rush hour (is this a weekend or weekday, roads/traffic is, worst) to LGA, plan trip time is 45 to 60 minutes, that should get you to the terminal for dropoff about 4 PM - do luggage drop, get thru TSA and short walk to the plane's gate.

Is this booked on a single ticket in transit or 2 totally different PNR, etc. in case of delays or whatever ?? As it is, within airline's acceptable cutoff for the transfer - with under 1 hour for delays ... weather is a big unknown.

Thanks for your response. We are on a nonstop flight into JFK from Barcelona on FinnAir operated by American. The flight from LaGuardia is booked separately on Southwest. I can still change the southwest section if I need to, would just prefer to get home that night as opposed to the next day. Figure I will be wiped from jet lag. 🙃

If necessary, I can do the subway or Uber or whatever works best to get to LaGuardia.

Thanks for your input!

One more thought, I did allow two hours to make it through customs and immigration. Was hoping that since it was in the middle of the day they might have all of the immigration booths working. We just came through Houston's immigration this week at 7 pm and they had ONE agent working for all of the US citizens. It was infuriating.

One more thought, I did allow two hours to make it through ... in the middle of the day they might have all of the immigration booths working ... Houston's immigration this week at 7 pm and they had ONE agent working for all of the US citizens ...
Well, how long did it take you to get out of HOU airport.

From your post above, AA & other airlines at JFK's T-8 are busy with int'l arrivals & departures all day, evening & into the night; and, as the largest terminal with 2 "banks" of gates - they will have more than 1 or 2 CBP agents working, airport ops quoting the capacity to process 1,600 pax per hour ... sounds good, but that's about 5 or 6 jumbo wide-body jets landing hourly and not that difficult to overwhelm the systems.

Anyway, the connection is supposed to be fine with a 4 hour window and you have about 5 hours in total ... assuming the flight is on time and not significantly delayed. You SHOULD be able to deplane, get thru APC area under CBP, wait & retrieve your luggage (unless doing just carry-on) and then, proceed past custom inspection area out to ground transportation ... in 2 hours, I would add extra 30 minutes for walking, taxi lines & luggage & gate delays, and possible FAA ground stops, etc. Your flight looked to be a 777 and if you are in the back section of the bird, deplaning could take + 10 or 15 minutes, while those in F & J/B get to walk off ahead of those in coach.

The drive from JFK to LGA - Southwest is Central Terminal or T-B - should be 45 to 60 minutes for the afternoon rush hour ... (unless there is an afternoon NY Mets baseball game nearby, causing more delays) putting you, hopefully, curbside at LGA no later than 4:30 PM, run inside - get your luggage dropped off, go thru TSA & then a short walk to the gate.

Unless weather is a factor or there's a major traffic incident on the highways between the airports - for simplicity, I would stick with yellow taxi (fares/tips, should run $45 to $55 at most) and they will be outside with a dispatcher working the taxi line, keeping things moving along nicely.

AirTrain to Jamaica Station, transfer to the E subway line, and then the SBS Q70 bus from Woodside/Jackson Heights in Queens to LGA is best for someone familiar NY's mass transit & done it before, and comfortable doing all that with luggage in tow, using escalators & elevators - last thing to worry about "how to" in getting a receipt before boarding the SBS bus ... as that last mile before LGA is where the traffic/airport congestion is most unpredictable (lately, it seemed fine) - folks have been known to get out of their taxis, car services & walk/run to the terminals to avoid possibly missing their flights.

Google Maps/Navigation & Waze on a smart/iPhone will give you a good estimate of your connecting options and best ETA as you land - and plot alternative plans if warranted - check that before you deplane & enter the CBP area, or, you will have to wait until you get beyond the secured area to get an update.

Good luck & feel free to ask and do come back & share your success story, hopefully, a smooth trip getting home.

Well, how long did it take you to get out of HOU airport.

From your post above, AA & other airlines at JFK's T-8 are busy with int'l arrivals & departures all day, evening & into the night; and, as the largest terminal with 2 "banks" of gates - they will have more than 1 or 2 CBP agents working, airport ops quoting the capacity to process 1,600 pax per hour ... sounds good, but that's about 5 or 6 jumbo wide-body jets landing hourly and not that difficult to overwhelm the systems.

Anyway, the connection is supposed to be fine with a 4 hour window and you have about 5 hours in total ... assuming the flight is on time and not significantly delayed. You SHOULD be able to deplane, get thru APC area under CBP, wait & retrieve your luggage (unless doing just carry-on) and then, proceed past custom inspection area out to ground transportation ... in 2 hours, I would add extra 30 minutes for walking, taxi lines & luggage & gate delays, and possible FAA ground stops, etc. Your flight looked to be a 777 and if you are in the back section of the bird, deplaning could take + 10 or 15 minutes, while those in F & J/B get to walk off ahead of those in coach.

The drive from JFK to LGA - Southwest is Central Terminal or T-B - should be 45 to 60 minutes for the afternoon rush hour ... (unless there is an afternoon NY Mets baseball game nearby, causing more delays) putting you, hopefully, curbside at LGA no later than 4:30 PM, run inside - get your luggage dropped off, go thru TSA & then a short walk to the gate.

Unless weather is a factor or there's a major traffic incident on the highways between the airports - for simplicity, I would stick with yellow taxi (fares/tips, should run $45 to $55 at most) and they will be outside with a dispatcher working the taxi line, keeping things moving along nicely.

AirTrain to Jamaica Station, transfer to the E subway line, and then the SBS Q70 bus from Woodside/Jackson Heights in Queens to LGA is best for someone familiar NY's mass transit & done it before, and comfortable doing all that with luggage in tow, using escalators & elevators - last thing to worry about "how to" in getting a receipt before boarding the SBS bus ... as that last mile before LGA is where the traffic/airport congestion is most unpredictable (lately, it seemed fine) - folks have been known to get out of their taxis, car services & walk/run to the terminals to avoid possibly missing their flights.

Google Maps/Navigation & Waze on a smart/iPhone will give you a good estimate of your connecting options and best ETA as you land - and plot alternative plans if warranted - check that before you deplane & enter the CBP area, or, you will have to wait until you get beyond the secured area to get an update.

Good luck & feel free to ask and do come back & share your success story, hopefully, a smooth trip getting home.

Thanks again for the input. Sounds like it should be okay. Will take your advice and do a cab to LGA, since I will have my 74 year old mother and 14 year old daughter in tow. 😜

We had 1 1/2 hours from landing time to end of boarding time in Houston and made it with 5 minutes to spare. After enough people complained in immigrations. They finally opened another booth, and we were close to the front of the line. 😊