Help Me to Understand....International Travel Questions

Roz

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the Global Entry machines. Stick in your passport, put your fingers on the scanner, smile, answer 'no to all' on the question page – and you get a receipt that powers you right through to your luggage. Easy peasy.

I’ve never had a problem with the Global Entry machines either. But isn’t the first question “Did you arrive on [airline][flight #]?” Not sure you want to answer “no” to that.

After making a preliminary application on line and paying it can be a long time until an opening for your in-person interview is available for scheduling. What they don’t tell you is that pretty regularly they will take walk-ins. In Tampa there was a 2 month delay for the first available interview slot but they took walk-ins with maybe a 10 minute wait time. YMMV but if you are traveling anyway give yourself a little extra time and see if they will interview you as a walk-in.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with the Global Entry machines. Stick in your passport, put your fingers on the scanner, smile, answer 'no to all' on the question page – and you get a receipt that powers you right through to your luggage. Easy peasy.

I always have to put my fingers on the screen three or four times because the sensitivity is never right. We have had machines not work after entering all the info, too. Attendant had to shut the machine off and move us to another.

Peregrina, thank you for the info on Global Entry. I'd heard of it, but didn't know any of the details. I may look into it. Right now I only travel oversees once a year or every other year, but that may change when I (hopefully) retire in a few years.

Roz

I always have to put my fingers on the screen three or four times because the sensitivity is never right. We have had machines not work after entering all the info, too. Attendant had to shut the machine off and move us to another.

Fingerprints: At the end of our interview for Global Entry, the agent looked at my fingers (and fingerprints), sighed, and said to use hand cream before using the machines or I'd be rejected (that is, my prints wouldn't take). The first time I actually entered the USA using the Global Entry machines (Phila), I forgot to do so- rejected! The Customs Officer who reviewed that entry said to use hand cream the next time I used the machines.

I thought it was just an excuse for faulty machines- but ever since then, I've rubbed on hand cream right beforehand- and have not had any trouble with the machines accepting my fingerprints. I have no idea why, but it works for me!

It's the oil in your skin that leaves a fingerprint, so if you're not "greasy" enough, it makes sense that putting on hand cream would work. Good tip.

Roz

Okay, at the risk of being thought a pest, please let me know what to expect on our journey a couple of weeks from now!

DH and I both have Global Entry (and agree it's well worth the price, even if just for TSA Pre-Check when flying domestically!). We're booked on Air France nonstop from Houston IAH to Paris CDG, connecting there to an Air France flight to Amsterdam. Per the AF website, it appears that our bags will be checked through to AMS. Our cruise ends in Basel, and we're booked to fly HOP (an AF subsidiary) to CDG, connecting there to AF nonstop to IAH. Again per the AF website, it appears our bags will be checked from Basel through to IAH.

So on the way to, will we go through immigration in Paris and customs in Amsterdam? And on the way home, does CDG have US preclearance?

TIA!

To add to the discussion, Schengen is immigration, not customs. Customs (the stuff you bring with you) is what gets your bagged checked. Given that some countries are variations of who is in Schengen, who is in EU, and the intersection of both where your bags get checked may vary. For instance the UK, though (for now) a member of the EU is not in Schengen, they maintain their own immigration. Your baggage is color tagged on check in to indicate if it should be checked or not at the final destination. Though the EU info on this says 'generally will not be checked' at the layover, it still might happen. I guess that depends on what the customs team is doing that day in terms of enforcement. Here is EU page describing some scenarios. https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/business/customs-controls/travelling-air_en

Peregrina, thank you for the info on Global Entry. I'd heard of it, but didn't know any of the details. I may look into it. Right now I only travel oversees once a year or every other year, but that may change when I (hopefully) retire in a few years.

Roz

It is good for 5 years. We had our interview in DC- open Saturdays, and we were visiting our son down there.

It's the oil in your skin that leaves a fingerprint, so if you're not "greasy" enough, it makes sense that putting on hand cream would work. Good tip.

Roz

Roz:

Unless the prices have changed, the 5 year fee for TSA Precheck is $85, and the 5 year fee for Global Entry (which includes TSA Precheck) is $100. You need an interview at the airport either way. Some higher end credit cards like Amex Platinum will reimburse you for either TSA Precheck or Global Entry fees once every 4 or 5 years. The price is definitely worth it; the only pain is arranging for the airport interview. They have a website that allows you to book a time, or you can try walk-in.

Tom & Judy

I thought I understood until I read this document. There is the European Union and there is the European Union Customs Union - they are NOT identical. When the cited document refers to the European Union shouldn’t that be European Union Customs Union ?

Roz:

Unless the prices have changed, the 5 year fee for TSA Precheck is $85, and the 5 year fee for Global Entry (which includes TSA Precheck) is $100. You need an interview at the airport either way. Some higher end credit cards like Amex Platinum will reimburse you for either TSA Precheck or Global Entry fees once every 4 or 5 years. The price is definitely worth it; the only pain is arranging for the airport interview. They have a website that allows you to book a time, or you can try walk-in.

Tom & Judy

That is pretty bizarre. The 5 year fee for Nexus (trusted traveller in Canada and US) is US$50, and it includes TSA PreCheck and Global Entry. It also gets you special lines at many Canada/US border crossing points.

That is pretty bizarre. The 5 year fee for Nexus (trusted traveller in Canada and US) is US$50, and it includes TSA PreCheck and Global Entry. It also gets you special lines at many Canada/US border crossing points.

But Nexus only works at border crossings between the US and Canada. Global Entry is ... global. Here's the page that shows all the trusted traveler programs, and helps you decide which is appropriate for your travel needs:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

But Nexus only works at border crossings between the US and Canada. Global Entry is ... global. Here's the page that shows all the trusted traveler programs, and helps you decide which is appropriate for your travel needs:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

Although the CBP web site is needlessly confusing on this point, the actuality is that NEXUS is not limited to US/Canada border crossings. As shown on https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/benefits-nexus, NEXUS effectively includes Global Entry: "using Global Entry kioks (sic) when entering the United States." And it also includes TSA Pre-Check. I imagine CBP doesn't highlight this because NEXUS costs less than Global Entry, and they'd prefer people pay more. As far as I can tell, there are only three drawbacks to NEXUS compared to Global Entry:

1) lesser eligibility--persons must be US/Canadian citizens, versus GE's allowance of citizens of some other countries

2) fewer places to do NEXUS interviews--you essentially need to be close to the Canadian border

3) the NEXUS fee is not reimbursed by credit cards that offer reimbursement for GE.

Although the CBP web site is needlessly confusing on this point, the actuality is that NEXUS is not limited to US/Canada border crossings. As shown on https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus/benefits-nexus, NEXUS effectively includes Global Entry: "using Global Entry kioks (sic) when entering the United States." And it also includes TSA Pre-Check. I imagine CBP doesn't highlight this because NEXUS costs less than Global Entry, and they'd prefer people pay more. As far as I can tell, there are only three drawbacks to NEXUS compared to Global Entry:

1) lesser eligibility--persons must be US/Canadian citizens, versus GE's allowance of citizens of some other countries

2) fewer places to do NEXUS interviews--you essentially need to be close to the Canadian border

3) the NEXUS fee is not reimbursed by credit cards that offer reimbursement for GE.

I will add one more to your list; you do have to be approved by both Canadian and US border authorities.

I will also add a few more pluses; if flying out of Canadian airports there is usually a separate (usually shorter) security line for NEXUS holders. And if you fly into a Canadian airport there are NEXUS kiosks that I'm pretty sure can be used by non-Canadians (our version of Global Entry).

I just returned from Europe in May. I used the app Mobile Pass. Set it up before you leave with easy to follow instructions. You have to take a picture of your passport....When you are landing back in the USA fill in the flight info and answer the questions. Hit submit. You will receive a confirmation and you are prescreened and do not have to even use the kiosks. Show the confirmation to the immigration agent and go.....

I just returned from Europe in May. I used the app Mobile Pass. Set it up before you leave with easy to follow instructions. You have to take a picture of your passport....When you are landing back in the USA fill in the flight info and answer the questions. Hit submit. You will receive a confirmation and you are prescreened and do not have to even use the kiosks. Show the confirmation to the immigration agent and go.....

Please excuse my ignorance but I am flying for the first time overseas in over 10 years. I have Global Entry and my mother does not. We are traveling in a few weeks. How will this app help us as one has Global Entry and one does noe? When we land would we get on Logan airport WiFi pull up the app and then put the last information in and agree to the terms? I hope I can put my mom and I passport information on just one account.

Thanks for this information.

HOW IT WORKS

STEP 1:

SET UP YOUR PROFILE

Enter your profile information as it appears on your valid, official passport. You can set up profiles for your entire family. Your information will be encrypted and shared only with CBP.

STEP 2:

ANSWER A FEW QUESTIONS

Answer CBP’s five brief questions about your trip. Then carefully review ALL of your information for the trip.

STEP 3:

SUBMIT TO CBP

Once you are at your port of entry (airport or sea port), connect to wireless or wi-fi and submit your data to CBP. Remember: when you submit, you are confirming under penalty of law that your information is correct. Within a few seconds, you will receive a CBP receipt with an encrypted barcode. Your receipt will be valid for 4 hours.

STEP 4:

BREEZE THROUGH CUSTOMS & SAVE TIME!

Follow the Mobile Passport Control signs to the designated Mobile Passport Control line. Show your passport to the CBP officer and scan the barcode on the CBP receipt. And that’s it!

Please excuse my ignorance but I am flying for the first time overseas in over 10 years. I have Global Entry and my mother does not. We are traveling in a few weeks. How will this app help us as one has Global Entry and one does noe? When we land would we get on Logan airport WiFi pull up the app and then put the last information in and agree to the terms? I hope I can put my mom and I passport information on just one account.

Thanks for this information.

HOW IT WORKS

STEP 1:

SET UP YOUR PROFILE

Enter your profile information as it appears on your valid, official passport. You can set up profiles for your entire family. Your information will be encrypted and shared only with CBP.

STEP 2:

ANSWER A FEW QUESTIONS

Answer CBP’s five brief questions about your trip. Then carefully review ALL of your information for the trip.

STEP 3:

SUBMIT TO CBP

Once you are at your port of entry (airport or sea port), connect to wireless or wi-fi and submit your data to CBP. Remember: when you submit, you are confirming under penalty of law that your information is correct. Within a few seconds, you will receive a CBP receipt with an encrypted barcode. Your receipt will be valid for 4 hours.

STEP 4:

BREEZE THROUGH CUSTOMS & SAVE TIME!

Follow the Mobile Passport Control signs to the designated Mobile Passport Control line. Show your passport to the CBP officer and scan the barcode on the CBP receipt. And that’s it!

I think that you are talking about the Mobile Passport App, not Global Entry, which is a trusted traveler program that you must apply and be approved for. I'm not sure that your mother could go through with you, because it looks like the family group has to reside in a single household.

Okay, at the risk of being thought a pest, please let me know what to expect on our journey a couple of weeks from now!

DH and I both have Global Entry (and agree it's well worth the price, even if just for TSA Pre-Check when flying domestically!). We're booked on Air France nonstop from Houston IAH to Paris CDG, connecting there to an Air France flight to Amsterdam. Per the AF website, it appears that our bags will be checked through to AMS. Our cruise ends in Basel, and we're booked to fly HOP (an AF subsidiary) to CDG, connecting there to AF nonstop to IAH. Again per the AF website, it appears our bags will be checked from Basel through to IAH.

So on the way to, will we go through immigration in Paris and customs in Amsterdam? And on the way home, does CDG have US preclearance?

TIA!

Important: International flights will arrive/leave CDG using Terminal 2E, but that's divided into Hall K, L, and M. Coming in, this is not terribly important but leaving CDG, it will be. Read on.

You will land in Paris at 2E (either Hall K, L, or M), and you will have to pass through immigration to enter the Schengen Zone. You will then have to change terminals, as your Schengen flight from CDG-AMS will probably depart from 2F. This will likely involve a bus from whichever hall of 2E to 2F though from 2E hall L you can sometimes walk to 2F. It depends on which hall you're starting from in 2E. Just follow the signs. You may clear security again but IME this is not usually the case.

You will pick up your bag in Amsterdam and walk through customs (basically follow the green lines out of the baggage claim area). Nothing to that.

Leaving Basel, you will land in CDG at either 2F or 2G, then take a bus/walk to the correct hall of 2E (follow the signs and they will tell you where to go). BUT, you have to find out which Hall in 2E, and get on the right bus. You can easily see which Hall to go to by checking the monitors, but do be aware of the need to do this. They probably won't let you through security in the wrong one, but you will waste time backtracking.

Once in the right part of 2E, you will clear immigration, and usually you will have to clear security again. Then go to your gate for the Houston flight.

There is no US preclearance in CDG. You will clear US immigration and customs in Houston.

You will not need to touch your checked bag at CDG either coming or going; it will be transferred to your final destination.

At least in Business Class, I know that AF has some videos in their seatback entertainment system that explain how you navigate CDG. Also if you are flying business class, look for the No. 1 Priority lanes which are usually shorter and you can access with your business class ticket, or Gold Medallion or higher Delta SkyMiles card.

Unlike most of the other posters on this board, I actually like flying through CDG and I prefer it over flying through AMS these days. But that's because I go through there enough to know what to expect. I know that I am in the minority in this regard...

Oh, Jazz, I wish I could say the same. First time we used it, no trouble at all--out of the airport in no time flat. Second time we used, we had to use three different machines and still ended up with an invalid print out. Still, we were the only ones in the line at 6am and the agent did what needed to be done without trying to tell us that it was our fault.

Would someone please explain Schengen and non-Schengen?

How/where did the rest of you find out about these things? Is there a travel primer somewhere that explains how to navigate foreign airports or what to do when returning back to the US?

I have another river cruise coming up in October, and as much as I enjoy the cruise and port tours, the flights before and after fill me with dread. Any help or guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Roz

Hi Roz, we travel a lot (from Australia). My advice would be to ask the cabin crew what you have to do while you are still on the plane. If they are not clear and you are worried, ask the first ground crew you can find.

I tend to treat the Schengen area as the equivalent of travelling domestically - ie. once you are inside a country within the Schengen area, travelling to another country within the Schengen area is about the same as being inside the US and travelling to another place within the US. Travelling to or from non-Schengen countries (including US, Australia....) to Schengen areas, is the equivalent of travelling internationally.

You are not alone to find it confusing. I wouldn't worry about other passengers reactions - they can just wait or help!

We once helped an elderly couple travelling from Warsaw to Hong Kong find their way through Helsinki airport (the connecting airport). At check-in in Warsaw their children were very worried about them finding their way as they spoke only Cantonese. After helping them through the Schengen border to the gate, the father rang his son and motioned me to talk to him on the phone. His son was very relieved that they were in the right place to catch their plane home. As soon as they reached the gate the couple were also relieved because there were other Cantonese speakers there. Every time the couple saw us after that they waved, smiled and bowed. :)

Don't let it stress you out :)

I had not heard of Schengen until I saw this thread. We've been home (Australia) a week now after flying into Europe via Tokyo>Helsinki>Budapest. Then Amsterdam>Edinburgh and two weeks later Edinburgh>Helsinki>Tokyo. Ignorance is bliss perhaps?

Every time I have arrived in CDG from the US I have been REQUIRED to go through security to make a connecting flight within Europe. Be sure to allow time for this. The best thing about CDG is the shops that sell macaroons.

The comment that you would go through customs in Munich (as well as immigration). As TravelerThom has pointed out, your passport would be stamped in Munich, but you actually go through customs in Basel.

To further clarify, immigration is about people, customs is about the stuff you are bringing into the country with you. You, as a person, clear immigration to enter a country. You luggage clears customs. In the US, you clear both at your first arrival point, then recheck your bags to your final destination. Within the Schengen zone, you clear immigration at your first point of entry, and customs at your final destination.

There are exceptions, as has been pointed out, such as if you are traveling on two separate tickets and your bags have not been checked all the way through to your final destination. In that case, you'll clear immigration and customs at your mid-point, and then go to your second airline's check-in desk to check in and check your bags to your final destination, as though you were just beginning your travels.

And on the way home, does CDG have US preclearance?

No. Airports with US preclearance include Dublin and Shannon in Ireland, most (all?) major international airports in Canada, and a few random island countries ones such as the Bahamas, and I think Abu Dhabi. Other than the Irish airports, no other airports in Europe that I'm aware of have it.