Balcony door open

JimJ54

So, if I leave the balcony door open when the outside temperature is 40 degrees, it will have no effect on the AC system?

How about if it is 50 degrees? or 60 degrees? or 65 degrees?

My point is that sometimes having the balcony door open HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER ON THE AC SYSTEM.

Yes, it does. The HVAC system doesn't just cool/heat the air, it also provides fresh air circulation to the staterooms. That's why the balcony doors cause problems, they reduce the air flowing into other rooms.

My understanding of AC systems is that if you have the thermostat set to 70 degrees, and the outside temperature is less than 70 degrees, the AC system will remain OFF.

No, the AC system will then work to bring the temperature up to 70. Then, aside from temperature control (which works in both directions), the ventilation effect (keeping internal air pressure slightly above that outside) will also be impacted.

But, do not trust us -read the instructions which most likely are on, or next to, your balcony door; or check with the shipboard guest services people when on board.

My work here is done. My Padawan apprentices have learned the lesson of ship's AC systems well.

Thank for teaching all (OK, maybe MOST) of us so much about so many aspects of cruising. Your posts are always informative and often entertaining as well.

My understanding of AC systems is that if you have the thermostat set to 70 degrees, and the outside temperature is less than 70 degrees, the AC system will remain OFF.

As others have suggested, please read the information carefully on the link in post #4. It is more complex then a matter of degrees of temperature. And to your earlier post, why would you keep a balcony door open when it is only 40 degrees outside? And if you did, then it would affect the heat that would come from the air exchangers with the same result.

No offense intended - as I do read a number of your posts and find them to be mostly on point - as you suggest yourself, maybe in this case you do lack common sense. :)

There have been the random posts where this has happened and someone comes in and replies contrary to the majority, not bothering to have read the responses between the OP's question and the last reply. Those can either be humorous or makes you scratch your head......
And sometimes you start at the beginning and answer and someone comes on to say that has been answered read the other posts before replying.

No, the AC system will then work to bring the temperature up to 70. Then, aside from temperature control (which works in both directions), the ventilation effect (keeping internal air pressure slightly above that outside) will also be impacted.

But, do not trust us -read the instructions which most likely are on, or next to, your balcony door; or check with the shipboard guest services people when on board.

Not with most systems.

1) An AC system may be cooling only. So no capacity to heat.

2). Many systems require you to manually set heating or cooling. This is to avoid the system bouncing between heating and cooling and fighting itself.

3) Many systems are either only heating or cooling depending on the season. Only cooling during hot weather and only heating during cold weather

If it is 40 degrees outside, how will leaving the balcony door open affect the AC system?

I can see it if it is 100 degrees outside.

Maybe I just lack common sense?

No. You don't lack common sense . You are just ignorant about this topic.

Air conditioning is a term that encompasses not just cooling but heating as well. If it is 40 outside, the AC system will be on but the brain of the system , the thermostat, will be calling for heat rather than cooling. Now you know.

No. You don't lack common sense . You are just ignorant about this topic.

Air conditioning is a term that encompasses not just cooling but heating as well. If it is 40 outside, the AC system will be on but the brain of the system , the thermostat, will be calling for heat rather than cooling. Now you know.

No, the correct term is HVAC, Heating Ventilation and Cooling.

Air Conditioning typically means cooling only.

If you install and air conditioning system in your home, it will be cooling only. If you install a heat pump, you will get both heating and cooling.

If you install and air conditioning system in your home, it will be cooling only. If you install a heat pump, you will get both heating and cooling.

You are obvious having fun being a troll on this issue. Accordingly, whatever you say is absolutely true :):)

Hank

It appears our Jedi Master was premature in assuming his work was done. The Dark Side hair splitters are still hard at work. Tell us Master - do the cabin thermostat controls have separate controls for heating and cooling, or is it simply done by setting the desired temperature? Help us Obi Wan, you are our only hope.

It appears our Jedi Master was premature in assuming his work was done. The Dark Side hair splitters are still hard at work. Tell us Master - do the cabin thermostat controls have separate controls for heating and cooling, or is it simply done by setting the desired temperature? Help us Obi Wan, you are our only hope.

Again, two systems, two controls, though both controls will operate heating and cooling. The cabin thermostat controls, when set to a set point below the measured cabin temperature (cooling), controls when chilled water is allowed to flow through the heat exchanger to cool off the air. When the cabin thermostat is set to a temperature above the measured cabin temperature, the chilled water flow is stopped, and a small electric resistance heater is activated. But this system has nothing to do with the balcony door, other than on many ships it will be shut off for both cooling and heating when the door is open, remember this well.

The fresh air supply system uses a pre-set temperature setpoint, and when the air is too warm, it allows chilled water through the heat exchanger, and when too cold, it sends steam through another heat exchanger. Affected by the air imbalance set up by an open balcony door, this system is.

And if you install a split system you are getting both heating and cooling. I almost typed in HVAC but was not expecting this clarification, I stand corrected.

Air Conditioning is a generalization when used to indicate cooling only.

Conditioning refers to making an area to a state that is comfortable.That is a zone where one can sense no heat or cool. Just comfort and that of course is subjective.eThermostats contain 2 switches in the same box. One for heating and one for cooling. If you want to call each switch a separate thermostat, I suppose you can.

Just because one cabin has its door opened does not affect other temperatures in rooms that have their own thermostat. I'm sure the company wants passengers to think that though.

Edited by JMorris271

And if you install a split system you are getting both heating and cooling. I almost typed in HVAC but was not expecting this clarification, I stand corrected.

Air Conditioning is a generalization when used to indicate cooling only.

Conditioning refers to making an area to a state that is comfortable.That is a zone where one can sense no heat or cool. Just comfort and that of course is subjective.eThermostats contain 2 switches in the same box. One for heating and one for cooling. If you want to call each switch a separate thermostat, I suppose you can.

Just because one cabin has its door opened does not affect other temperatures in rooms that have their own thermostat. I'm sure the company wants passengers to think that though.

Actually, you can get mini-split systems that are air conditioning (cooling) only, or that are heat pumps (heating and cooling). It all depends on what you pay for. The split refers to the separation between the evaporator (inside unit) and the compressor/condenser (outside unit), not a split between heating and cooling.

And all of my posts regarding leaving the balcony door open affecting other cabins (search for them, or look at the one linked earlier in the thread), explain how doing this actually does affect the temperature in other cabins. It is because unlike your mini-split AC system, there are two systems in each cabin. A "mini-split" (if you will) that is controlled by the thermostat, and a "central system" that supplies an entire bank of cabins, to use home system equivalents.