new china for bread plates on the Voyage of the Vikings (Rotterdam)

sansterre

Last night tables were set with new bread plates - blue and white, heavily patterned all over. Within in the pattern is the HAL logo of a ship. Last night we had two different pattern plates. Tonight they were both the same. Just curious if these are appearing on all the HAL ships. And are only the bread plates being changed?:confused:

Thank you for the pictures. They are beautiful, HOWEVER, I think that for a full setting the pattern would be way too busy. Also, I do believe they would be very difficult to plate attractively many entrees dishes with that pattern. In fact, I shutter to even try to make a well composed meal on the plates. Great for bread plates, maybe salad plates, but not entrees. Just my opinion.

Thank you for the pictures. They are beautiful, HOWEVER, I think that for a full setting the pattern would be way too busy. Also, I do believe they would be very difficult to plate attractively many entrees dishes with that pattern. In fact, I shutter to even try to make a well composed meal on the plates. Great for bread plates, maybe salad plates, but not entrees. Just my opinion.

I agree. Works for bread/salad plates. Patterns can be very nice but plating a dinner attractively needs to have a neutral background (IMHO) so the different colors, textures, and shapes of the foods can be presented well.

I learned today that there are several designs - possibly 4 different designs. I believe the pictures posted earlier show two of them. All have the small HAL logo (sailing ship) somewhere in the design).

Personally, I prefer the white plates with the blue trim around the outside. However, these do work nicely with the more and more commonly used white dinner plates. And, I agree with some of the posters that a full set of these would be too busy, Food, other than bread, looks best on white or a solid background, not on a busy pattern.

• 11 months later...

Old thread but new question - I do know there are 4 different patterns for the salad/bread/dessert plates with the hidden HAL logo on each and am wondering if anyone has purchased them yet and if so, how much they cost and do you have to buy the set or can you just buy one?  Last year on the Zuidie the maître 'd told us they were for sale but I didn't want to schlep them home at the time.  

On 8/13/2018 at 10:14 AM, OlsSalt said:

Will they now need install ceramic detectors when leaving the ships, because these charming new plates seem imminently "collectable".

Ain't that the truth!

Thanks, KK, for posting the link. We'll see if they're on the Zaandam next week.

I still miss the beautiful original blue Delft motif on the Pinnacle Grill's base plates. Wish they'd bring them back.

Edited by jhannah