New itineraries 2019-2020. NCL will NOT be sailing from Southampton anymore?

ace2542

I’ve not seen anything to suggest that the Spirit 2019 itineraries from Southampton are affected.

It’s too early to say about 2020 yet.

Coincidently, as I was typing that I got an email from NCL pushing their 2019 Southampton departures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve not seen anything to suggest that the Spirit 2019 itineraries from Southampton are affected.

It’s too early to say about 2020 yet.

Coincidently, as I was typing that I got an email from NCL pushing their 2019 Southampton departures.

6 ships in Europe for 2020 Jade moving away nothing has been mentioned about UK departures as yet but they are in trouble in western europe they can't fill the jade how are they going to fill anything bigger.

6 ships in Europe for 2020 Jade moving away nothing has been mentioned about UK departures as yet but they are in trouble in western europe they can't fill the jade how are they going to fill anything bigger.

I keep on getting told that they can’t fill the Jade.

So, when it looked like we may have to cancel our trip to Hawaii this Summer, I thought that’s OK, at least we will be able to jump on the Jade from Southampton.

Except we can’t because it is full.

The only evidence I have seen of how much NCL are struggling in Europe is from unsubstantiated comments on this message board. Every single bit of actual evidence I see suggests completely the opposite.

I keep on getting told that they can’t fill the Jade.

So, when it looked like we may have to cancel our trip to Hawaii this Summer, I thought that’s OK, at least we will be able to jump on the Jade from Southampton.

Except we can’t because it is full.

The only evidence I have seen of how much NCL are struggling in Europe is from unsubstantiated comments on this message board. Every single bit of actual evidence I see suggests completely the opposite.

The Jade and the Gem are same size ships to within 20 people or so. Was on the Jade in May and Gem at Christmas. You couldn't move on the Gem at Christmas but the Jade was quieter and one speciality restaurant was closed and we still had no problems getting in anywhere for food or drink or a table at the buffett. I reckon that jade sailing was about 100 to 150 people short of being full.

And why is the spirit doing Southampton next year? That is smaller than the Jade. And it seems like they can't fill the Joy though maybe that is because you have to speak chinese to book it in the first place.

The Jade and the Gem are same size ships to within 20 people or so. Was on the Jade in May and Gem at Christmas. You couldn't move on the Gem at Christmas but the Jade was quieter and one speciality restaurant was closed and we still had no problems getting in anywhere for food or drink or a table at the buffett. I reckon that jade sailing was about 100 to 150 people short of being full.

And why is the spirit doing Southampton next year? That is smaller than the Jade. And it seems like they can't fill the Joy though maybe that is because you have to speak chinese to book it in the first place.

I have no inside knowledge about why the Spirit is doing the Southampton routes now, although I suspect that it may get better reports from the more traditional UK cruise customers (who tend to sail out of Southampton) than other NCL ships. Remember that the Pearl is now also going to be running some of these routes, so capacity will not be too far different in total.

However, my point is that I keep on reading speculation on here that seems to go totally against what evidence we do have.

I have been assured on these boards over the past few months that NCL are struggling to fill the ships for these northern European routes, that the Spirit will be sold, that they are going to pull out of running these itineraries, and various other unsubstantiated claims.

In fact, what has actually happened is:

The Spirit is being refurbished and retained.

The Jade itinerary we were on last Summer was sailing full.

An additional ship is being moved into the region for next year.

The Getaway has had an Iceland itinerary added.

The prices for 2019 which I was confidently told were far too high have increased a bit.

We couldn't get a room for three people on the Jade at any point for the remainder of this Summer.

I have always had a more positive opinion of how NCL will do with these itineraries than many other people on these boards (and I may be wrong), but the points that I have raised here suggest to me that I may not quite have been positive enough in my opinion. I see absolutely no evidence that they are struggling.

I note your point about the relative business on your cruises. I'm not convinced that comparing to Christmas is valid as those itineraries are always very popular, whereas May in Northern Europe isn't peak time by any means. 100-150 people short doesn't sound too bad to me for that month. I always avoid using restaurant availability as a guide, as this can vary hugely dependent on the demographic. I once did a B2B which were both at capacity and the restaurants were completely full for the first week and almost empty for the second. I still can't come up with even a theory as to why that was.

This is like comparing apples and pomegranates, not even close in comparison. Totally different demographic.

May is a shoulder month, spring is in the air people are getting their gardens and pools ready for the summer and kids are still in school.

Opposite is true of Christmas, no school, everyone is ready for a party and many love to take a cruise to celebrate the holidays.

Not worthy of a comparison IMO.

My TA on Jade in April technically was not "full" because of so many singles onboard. NCL wasn't hurt at all since the singles get dinged with paying full price for the cabin.

I don't know whether the Jades' reputation is affecting its bookings. I usually have at least two cruises on my calendar, but after that sailing, I've lost my enthusiasm for cruising. I usually come home with great experiences to relate to my friends. Most of the crew was great, except for the officers (where were they?) and my room attendant- the first time we ever got stuck with a surly, incompetent one. The ship experience was just blah and I think that comes from the top down. I had a good time with the nice folks I hung out with, but cutbacks from corporate really showed. We made our own fun.

Early info at port registrations suggest that the following ships will be in Europe for the Summer 2020 period:

Northern Europe

1) Norwegian Star (https://www.ptamsterdam.nl/nl/cruises-portal)

2) Norwegian Jade (https://www.ptamsterdam.nl/nl/cruises-portal)

3) Norwegian Getaway (http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/previsiones?inicio=2020-04-30&fin=2021-12-31)

Norwegian Star & Norwegian Jade are both registered in the port of Amsterdam in May 2020 so they will probably replace Norwegian Pearl & Norwegian Spirit from 2019. Norwegian Getaway is listed in Palma in May 2020 indicating that it will be again in Europe and I suspect it will do the same itineraries as 2019.

West Mediterranean

1) Norwegian Epic (http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/previsiones?inicio=2020-04-30&fin=2021-12-31)

Norwegian Epic is registered again at Palma port for the 2020 period indicating it will repeat the same cruises as 2019.

Eastern Mediterranean

1) Norwegian Dawn (http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/previsiones?inicio=2020-03-01&fin=2021-12-31)

2) Norwegian Pearl?

It seems that Norwegian Dawn is registered at Palma's port in May 2020 indicating it will be replacing Norwegian Star which is going North. Probably its absence will be covered by Norwegian Encore in USA. No news on Norwegian Pearl but it will be possibly take Norwegian Jade's place as the latter is going North too.

The problem with the Joy was you couldn't book unless you spoke Chinese. A big mistake in my opinion.
Majestic Princess was able to be booked by North Americans, and didn't have near the amount of customization for the Chinese, but Princess moved it out of China, too. It seems like the issue was a lack of demand on the Chinese side.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.havre-port.com/fr/liste/2077/escales-croisieres

in May the Jade has some stops in le Havre coming from Dublin and go to Tilbury. Round Great Britain cruise?? Maybe like Peal 2019? Embarking in Amsterdam?

last Jade stop in le Havre

NORWEGIAN CRUISE JADE 22/07/2020 05:00mer.22/07/2020 20:00 from SOUTHAMPTON to HAMBOURG

found someone something where she is going then? wonder if a cruise from hamburg is possible?

what ship is doing the Baltic 2020? think away ship because it looks like they sell them good.

do someone know if the Escape is coming for dry dock to Europe? could they go into dry dock in the us with the escape? 5 years from end of 2015

Hi, anymore news on summer 2020 Northern Europe?

Does anyone know when schedules may be released?

Based on previous years, I wouldn’t expect 2020 Northern Europe itineraries to be released until late this year or early next.

2019 itinerary were actually made available for sale this Spring, and in the case of the Pearl, a couple of weeks ago.

I’m hoping they do more 7 days out of Southampton... ideally a newer ship but I can hang on a few more years... there is demand in the UK but we dont have many large cruise ports so for many of us it’s easier to jump on a plane and board the newer ships elsewhere and for less cost than going to Southampton [emoji51]

Based on previous years, I wouldn’t expect 2020 Northern Europe itineraries to be released until late this year or early next.

2019 itinerary were actually made available for sale this Spring, and in the case of the Pearl, a couple of weeks ago.

Keith the Pearl was only a few weeks ago as it is being displaced by the Joy in Alsaka following NCL decision to pull out of it apparent disaster over there. Looking forward to going on it next year

My Jade cruise next week is completely sold out and has been for weeks. Having tried to book the same cruise last year, it was also full then. Anyone who says they can't fill her is just plain wrong.

Which is why I think there is scope to add another ship near the UK. [emoji846]

They show only until May 2020.I need a cruise in June.wonder when will they be available

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

Perhaps NCL is shuffling the deck and getting ready to post a schedule beyond that point.

Normally about a year and half ahead is all that is available for viewing except on permanent

cruise routes like the POA in Hawaii.

It is really interesting to hear the talk about how badly NCL is doing, yet when you look the prices they are able to charge tells another story..I think I paid $ 1200.00 pp on the Spirit for an OV room in 2015 for almost the same itinerary I am doing next June for WAY more (Triple for a balcony). You cannot tell me that if a cruise was going to sale with inventory of rooms unsold that they would not decrease the prices. Course wave season has not started...maybe that is their plan. It will be interesting to see what happens and if the unsold rooms are discounted.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for when Spirit is being refurbed? Love the size of that ship, I hope they redo her and put her back into service. IN EUROPE.

Nancy

Early info at port registrations suggest that the following ships will be in Europe for the Summer 2020 period:

Northern Europe

1) Norwegian Star (https://www.ptamsterdam.nl/nl/cruises-portal)

2) Norwegian Jade (https://www.ptamsterdam.nl/nl/cruises-portal)

3) Norwegian Getaway (http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/previsiones?inicio=2020-04-30&fin=2021-12-31)

Norwegian Star & Norwegian Jade are both registered in the port of Amsterdam in May 2020 so they will probably replace Norwegian Pearl & Norwegian Spirit from 2019. Norwegian Getaway is listed in Palma in May 2020 indicating that it will be again in Europe and I suspect it will do the same itineraries as 2019.

West Mediterranean

1) Norwegian Epic (http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/previsiones?inicio=2020-04-30&fin=2021-12-31)

Norwegian Epic is registered again at Palma port for the 2020 period indicating it will repeat the same cruises as 2019.

Eastern Mediterranean

1) Norwegian Dawn (http://www.portsdebalears.com/es/previsiones?inicio=2020-03-01&fin=2021-12-31)

2) Norwegian Pearl?

It seems that Norwegian Dawn is registered at Palma's port in May 2020 indicating it will be replacing Norwegian Star which is going North. Probably its absence will be covered by Norwegian Encore in USA. No news on Norwegian Pearl but it will be possibly take Norwegian Jade's place as the latter is going North too.

in cannes

http://www.riviera-ports.com/nos-services/croisiere/planning-escale

is getaway listed at:

06 / 05 / 2020

07 / 08 / 2020

07 / 29 / 2020

08 / 19 / 2020

09 / 09 / 2020

and Epic is there too, the whole summer. Looks like Getaway is not doing the baltics. Two big ships in the mediterranean. Possible that the Getaway sail out of southampton like RCCL is doing with Anthem and Independence? i would like that. Or with Epic out of Barcelona/Civitavecchia?

Excited about what ship is doing the baltics and what homeport the getaway will has?

Edited by Steff79

• 4 weeks later...

NCL Star is listed in Reykjavik in 2020 several times, and once at North Cape, more or less the same pattern as Spirit's itineraries in 2019.

So NCL Star should be the candidate to sail from Southampton in 2020.

http://www.faxafloahafnir.is/cruiseships/index.php?pid=1&csyear=2020 - it's best to switch to "List of visits" to have the best overview.

Further NCL Jade is listed in Amsterdam several times in May/June 2020, and once in Le Havre in July 2020, with destination Hamburg. Seems she will offer a full Northern Europe season in 2020 again.