hello.

questhunter

Hello Cruisers!!

First time ever cruiser here. I've yet to schedule one on the calendar. How crazy would I be to set one up for 2 months from now, say October 15-ish to ... 7 day-ish?

Since I'm on the west coast, I would like to attempt the Florida port launch. From reading around here, it seems the best move is to get a flight with a nightly hotel. I've seen the roll call forums, I'm now aware of the check-in with fellow cruisers.

What about prices for solo people? Can I expect to get run over just like Uncle Sam loves me during tax season?

Excursions. Ship ones or DIY ones?

With October season, have most cruisers noticed the Miami route area more prone to Tsunamis?

These are just simple first questions while I continue to read posts on the board.

thanks!

Hello Cruisers!!

First time ever cruiser here. I've yet to schedule one on the calendar. How crazy would I be to set one up for 2 months from now, say October 15-ish to ... 7 day-ish?

Depending on how the cruise is selling you and you are flexible you MIGHT be able to pick up a good price last minute. Cabin selection might be limited so if you're not picky where you are located you could score a great price,

Since I'm on the west coast, I would like to attempt the Florida port launch. From reading around here, it seems the best move is to get a flight with a nightly hotel. I've seen the roll call forums, I'm now aware of the check-in with fellow cruisers.

Fly in at least one day prior to sail date, no telling what kind of weather might be affecting flights.

What about prices for solo people? Can I expect to get run over just like Uncle Sam loves me during tax season?

Solos will usually get the pleasure of paying 200% -- sometimes you can find cruises with less than double but you really have to look.

DIY will most always be cheaper, private operators will offer smaller groups for less and you'll see a lot more. It all depends on the port, and what your interests are. Cruise Critic has a wonderful forum for PORTS OF CALL where you can find amazing tours and places to see.

With October season, have most cruisers noticed the Miami route area more prone to Tsunamis?

No tsunamis..... more likely hurricanes. Hurricane season is June through October but this year has been fairly quiet. No worries though, the captain will reroute if needed. Your cruise contract states that no port is guaranteed and the line has the right to change itinerary at any time.

These are just simple first questions while I continue to read posts on the board.

thanks!

Cruising is great! I just wish I had available capital to do it more often. :D

Hello Cruisers!!

thanks!

Since you live on the West coast ... why not take a cruise to Mexico? It would be a great first time cruise ... depending on where you live ... easy to the departure port. Just some thoughts.

A 7 day cruise would be a good 1st time cruise. My first cruise was a 7 day Bermuda cruise out of Boston and I lived 1 hour from the port.

Are you young .... meaning younger than 21 years old? If your are 18 -20, you can't cruise alone. Just FYI.

Welcome.

Late October thru December is a great time to do the Caribbean and you don't have to fly all the way to Florida. Galveston and New Orleans has some good 7-nighters to the western Caribbean. You can pick from: Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize or Honduras. We have done all of them and they are all good.

Some of the new mega ships have studios for solo cruisers. I know that Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean do, but you can expect to pay 125% or more. Holland America caters to solo's but not many 7-night sailings to the Carib and HA is pricey to begin with.

Cabin prices are DOUBLE the "per person" price...so if you're alone, you will pay what 2 would pay. That's how cruises work.

Yes, you should fly in the day prior, and stay at a hotel....try to get near your port for an easy trip in the morning.

"DIY will most always be cheaper, private operators will offer smaller groups for less and you'll see a lot more. It all depends on the port, and what your interests are. Cruise Critic has a wonderful forum for PORTS OF CALL where you can find amazing tours and places to see."

The risks are higher with DIY. Do I have to plan those before hand, before leaving? Can I just sign up when I'm there?

"Cruising is great! I just wish I had available capital to do it more often. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677"

Same here. :)

"Since you live on the West coast ... why not take a cruise to Mexico? It would be a great first time cruise ... depending on where you live ... easy to the departure port. Just some thoughts. "

I might just do that, not a bad idea.

"Are you young .... meaning younger than 21 years old? If your are 18 -20, you can't cruise alone. Just FYI."

I'm older than 21

"Late October thru December is a great time to do the Caribbean and you don't have to fly all the way to Florida. Galveston and New Orleans has some good 7-nighters to the western Caribbean. You can pick from: Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize or Honduras. We have done all of them and they are all good."

I will certainly consider those ports as well and including the mega ships.

I'm aware now that DOUBLE the "per person" price is the thing with cruises. Thanks.

The Mexican cruise out of Long Beach seems more manageable from the West Coast side, then maybe later I'll try the East Coast(Florida) ports.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas.

"DIY will most always be cheaper, private operators will offer smaller groups for less and you'll see a lot more. It all depends on the port, and what your interests are. Cruise Critic has a wonderful forum for PORTS OF CALL where you can find amazing tours and places to see."

The risks are higher with DIY. Do I have to plan those before hand, before leaving? Can I just sign up when I'm there?

"Cruising is great! I just wish I had available capital to do it more often. :D"

Same here. :)

"Since you live on the West coast ... why not take a cruise to Mexico? It would be a great first time cruise ... depending on where you live ... easy to the departure port. Just some thoughts. "

I might just do that, not a bad idea.

"Are you young .... meaning younger than 21 years old? If your are 18 -20, you can't cruise alone. Just FYI."

I'm older than 21

"Late October thru December is a great time to do the Caribbean and you don't have to fly all the way to Florida. Galveston and New Orleans has some good 7-nighters to the western Caribbean. You can pick from: Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize or Honduras. We have done all of them and they are all good."

I will certainly consider those ports as well and including the mega ships.

I'm aware now that DOUBLE the "per person" price is the thing with cruises. Thanks.

The Mexican cruise out of Long Beach seems more manageable from the West Coast side, then maybe later I'll try the East Coast(Florida) ports.

Thanks again everyone for the ideas.

Here's one going to Cabo 10/1/2018. Price has come down a little recently for the interior cabin. IF you are seriously considering THIS October, I wouldn't wait too much longer. I don't think these prices will come down any more. The cruise I am on, 10/22 has increased CRAZY amounts in the past week.

https://www.princess.com/find/searchResults.do

Ok, thanks.

As far as DIY excursions: Is it safer to buy those before launch or on site?

I haven't bought any excursions for Mexico. Have you ever visited Mexico, seeing that you live in CA? Me, personally, I would only pay for a private excursion in person. You can buy a cruise line excursion safely before departure, but I would NOT pay a 'private tour' in advance. Just me being cynical/cautious.

I haven't bought any excursions for Mexico. Have you ever visited Mexico, seeing that you live in CA? Me, personally, I would only pay for a private excursion in person. You can buy a cruise line excursion safely before departure, but I would NOT pay a 'private tour' in advance. Just me being cynical/cautious.

Never visited Mexico before, perhaps I'll consider a private excursion. Are these risky or can they be done with a group for safety?

This page has a nice way of showing excursions based on cruise time. Shore excursion group has a nice zip-lining bundle for $93, which is called Canopy tour.

I'm curious if anyone has just showed up and paid on the spot for these similar excursions. Anyone?

thanks again.

If you feel strongly about flying to FL for a cruise, check the costs of flights before you book the cruise. Might not be worth the lower cruise fare. Norwegian cruise line has some solo cabins on a few of their ships; they are still more than if you cruise with a buddy in a regular cabin, but not double.

Otherwise, booking so close to sailing is totally doable. maybe a bit overwhelming, also you'll likely have to pay the entire cost the day you book it. Everything I can tell you about cruising can be found on in a few blog posts on my blog: http://laurenofalltrades.blogspot.com/p/cruise-tips.html

This page has a nice way of showing excursions based on cruise time. Shore excursion group has a nice zip-lining bundle for $93, which is called Canopy tour.

I'm curious if anyone has just showed up and paid on the spot for these similar excursions. Anyone?

thanks again.

At many ports, when you depart the terminal building you have to walk past a mass of locals hawking tours that you can take.

In Mexico, if visiting Acapulco, personally I would stick to the ship tours in that port these days.

If you feel strongly about flying to FL for a cruise, check the costs of flights before you book the cruise. Might not be worth the lower cruise fare. Norwegian cruise line has some solo cabins on a few of their ships; they are still more than if you cruise with a buddy in a regular cabin, but not double.

Otherwise, booking so close to sailing is totally doable. maybe a bit overwhelming, also you'll likely have to pay the entire cost the day you book it. Everything I can tell you about cruising can be found on in a few blog posts on my blog: http://laurenofalltrades.blogspot.com/p/cruise-tips.html

I just read your new cruisers page. I'm more leaning towards ship excursions just because the ship will wait for you if the excursion was running late.

When you buy an excursion through shore excursion group is that considered a ship excursion or do I need to buy them directly from the cruise's website?

At many ports, when you depart the terminal building you have to walk past a mass of locals hawking tours that you can take.

Thanks Lauren and Heidi.

I just read your new cruisers page. I'm more leaning towards ship excursions just because the ship will wait for you if the excursion was running late.

When you buy an excursion through shore excursion group is that considered a ship excursion or do I need to buy them directly from the cruise's website?

[/u][/i][/b]

Thanks Lauren and Heidi.

Only shore excursions purchased through the cruise line, either on website or onboard the ship, are cruise ship excursions.

Anyone you meet on the street and pay cash to is a completely independent/private tour operator.

Cabin prices are DOUBLE the "per person" price...so if you're alone, you will pay what 2 would pay. That's how cruises work.

Yes, you should fly in the day prior, and stay at a hotel....try to get near your port for an easy trip in the morning.

But you wont pay double the port fees and taxes, that really is based per person.