Can I change my insurance option?

BENHANDEL

Hi All-

I am sure if I read through all of these very helpful posts, I could find my answer, but as a newbie it is all a bit overwhelming. I am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

We are sailing the Horizon in December. We booked nearly 2 years prior, when the ship was long from sailing. I booked directly with Carnival and I must have agreed to their travel insurance at the time because I see it on my online page. With my final payment due at the end of September, this is becoming more real than when I put down the no-strings deposit.

And when thinking of travel insurance, I would probably want the entire trip covered, not just the cruise, right? We will be flying in the day before the cruise, and staying in Orlando following the cruise, flying home 6 days after leaving the ship.

It looks like I can still remove the carnival insurance...but I read something about travel insurance needing to be added within 12-14 days of booking a trip. Does that mean I will not be able to consider another travel insurance company at this time? In which case, I am likely better off keeping Carnival's. However, some of the posts on here make me worried it will not be sufficient (and I paid too much)...

It will be me, DH and 3 kids for a 6 day cruise and they are charging $525 total. I have posted the terms below if it matters.

I appreciate any feedback/guidance.

Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection

Carnival wants you to have the best vacation ever, with nothing to think about except how much FUN you're going to have. That's why we created Carnival's Cruise Vacation Protection - including our new "Cancel for Any Reason" feature - starting from prices as low as $49. Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection is available because unfortunately, the unexpected does sometimes occur.

Carnival's Cruise Vacation Protection Package of Benefits:

• Carnival Cancellation Fee Waiver Program waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise Ticket Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons). In addition, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise for "any other reason", you may be eligible for cruise credits up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost as long as the Cruise Vacation Protection is purchased prior to final payment. Brought to you by Carnival Cruise Lines*.
  • Carnival Travel Insurance Program (underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company) - reimburses losses for the following:

• Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses.
    • Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,500. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
    • Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses related to an illness, or up to $10,000 for expenses related to an injury. This coverage is secondary to your primary health insurance. Medical expenses incurred on board must be paid out-of-pocket and submitted for reimbursement.
    • Emergency Evacuation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $30,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport.

The Carnival Travel Insurance Program is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, Ohio; NAIC # 10952 (all states except as otherwise listed) under Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5000. In CA, HI, NE, NH, PA, TN and TX Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5100 and TAHC5200. In IL, IN, KS, LA, OH, OR, VT, WA and WY Policy Form #'s TAHC5100IPS and TAHC5200IPS. Certain coverages are under series TAHC6000 and TAHC7000.

• CareFree™ Worldwide Emergency Assistance Program provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance. Provided by On Call International.

This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker.Important: This is only a brief description of the program. For a summary of the terms, conditions and exclusions click here.

For a list of frequently asked questions regarding Carnival Cruise Vacation Protection, visit our FAQs.

Note: Cruise Vacation Protection is fully refundable if you are canceling outside Carnival's published penalty period. Prices are subject to change without notice.

Hi All-

I am sure if I read through all of these very helpful posts, I could find my answer, but as a newbie it is all a bit overwhelming. I am hoping someone can guide me in the right direction.

We are sailing the Horizon in December. We booked nearly 2 years prior, when the ship was long from sailing. I booked directly with Carnival and I must have agreed to their travel insurance at the time because I see it on my online page. With my final payment due at the end of September, this is becoming more real than when I put down the no-strings deposit.

And when thinking of travel insurance, I would probably want the entire trip covered, not just the cruise, right? We will be flying in the day before the cruise, and staying in Orlando following the cruise, flying home 6 days after leaving the ship.

It looks like I can still remove the carnival insurance...but I read something about travel insurance needing to be added within 12-14 days of booking a trip. Does that mean I will not be able to consider another travel insurance company at this time? In which case, I am likely better off keeping Carnival's. However, some of the posts on here make me worried it will not be sufficient (and I paid too much)...

It will be me, DH and 3 kids for a 6 day cruise and they are charging $525 total. I have posted the terms below if it matters.

I appreciate any feedback/guidance.

Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection

Carnival wants you to have the best vacation ever, with nothing to think about except how much FUN you're going to have. That's why we created Carnival's Cruise Vacation Protection - including our new "Cancel for Any Reason" feature - starting from prices as low as $49. Carnival’s Cruise Vacation Protection is available because unfortunately, the unexpected does sometimes occur.

Carnival's Cruise Vacation Protection Package of Benefits:

• Carnival Cancellation Fee Waiver Program waives the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise Ticket Contract and pays you the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation in the event that you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise vacation (for specified reasons). In addition, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel your cruise for "any other reason", you may be eligible for cruise credits up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost as long as the Cruise Vacation Protection is purchased prior to final payment. Brought to you by Carnival Cruise Lines*.
  • Carnival Travel Insurance Program (underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company) - reimburses losses for the following:
    • Trip Delay: If you miss the departure of your cruise due to carrier-caused delays or other specified reasons, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses.
    • Baggage Protection: If your baggage or personal property is lost or damaged, you will be reimbursed up to $1,500. If your bags are delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for more than 24 hours, you will be reimbursed up to $500 for the purchase of necessary personal effects.
    • Medical Expense Coverage: Should you become injured or sick during your vacation, you will be reimbursed up to $10,000 for medical expenses related to an illness, or up to $10,000 for expenses related to an injury. This coverage is secondary to your primary health insurance. Medical expenses incurred on board must be paid out-of-pocket and submitted for reimbursement.
    • Emergency Evacuation: In the event that serious illness or injury requires air or ground transportation to a specialized facility or to return home, you will be provided up to $30,000 in covered medical services and supplies (coordinated by our 24-hour assistance provider) to help ensure your safe transport.

The Carnival Travel Insurance Program is underwritten by Transamerica Casualty Insurance Company, Columbus, Ohio; NAIC # 10952 (all states except as otherwise listed) under Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5000. In CA, HI, NE, NH, PA, TN and TX Policy/Certificate Form series TAHC5100 and TAHC5200. In IL, IN, KS, LA, OH, OR, VT, WA and WY Policy Form #'s TAHC5100IPS and TAHC5200IPS. Certain coverages are under series TAHC6000 and TAHC7000.

• CareFree™ Worldwide Emergency Assistance Program provides 24-hour assistance services including: pre-cruise health, safety and weather information; assistance with travel changes; lost luggage assistance; emergency cash transfer assistance; emergency medical and dental assistance; lost travel document assistance; and emergency medical payment assistance. Provided by On Call International.

This plan provides insurance coverage that applies only during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home and automobile policies. If you have any questions about your current coverage, call your insurer, insurance agent or broker.Important: This is only a brief description of the program. For a summary of the terms, conditions and exclusions click here.

For a list of frequently asked questions regarding Carnival Cruise Vacation Protection, visit our FAQs.

Note: Cruise Vacation Protection is fully refundable if you are canceling outside Carnival's published penalty period. Prices are subject to change without notice.

We *always* recommend third party insurance.

Call

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

yes, CALL... ask them what you posted above, and they'll probably ask some additional questions about pre-existing conditions and when your final payment is, plus other questions to help you get the most appropriate policy available.

Yes, the 10-20 day window after *first* payment/deposit usually allows the most choice, but there is at least one insurer they work with who has *good* options up until 24 hours within final payment.

There are also many policies if one really doesn't need pre-existing condition coverage, but this can get tricky and some people have found this ends up a problem if there is an unexpected claim.

But for others, it's fine..

Call them, and they'll help you.

We've purchased our Travel Insured policies through them, and TI pays their claims promptly, which is very important!

GC

We *always* recommend third party insurance.

Call

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

yes, CALL... ask them what you posted above, and they'll probably ask some additional questions about pre-existing conditions and when your final payment is, plus other questions to help you get the most appropriate policy available.

Yes, the 10-20 day window after *first* payment/deposit usually allows the most choice, but there is at least one insurer they work with who has *good* options up until 24 hours within final payment.

There are also many policies if one really doesn't need pre-existing condition coverage, but this can get tricky and some people have found this ends up a problem if there is an unexpected claim.

But for others, it's fine..

Call them, and they'll help you.

We've purchased our Travel Insured policies through them, and TI pays their claims promptly, which is very important!

GC

Thank you for sharing!