Luxury Cruise Line Silversea to Enhance Ships Through Royal Caribbean Partnership

LauraS

Thanks, Laura for posting this. Do you or anyone know when the mentioned upgrades to the Wind are scheduled to take place? It seems that there is an upcoming dry dock so I wonder if they will take place during that time? We're booked in the Spring & I'm hoping all will be completed by then.

I have to wonder if this all isn’t going to translate into higher cruise fares. When looking at Azamara and Silversea for comparable itineraries Azamara is at the same or even slightly higher fares for the same relative cabin category.

I have to wonder if this all isn’t going to translate into higher cruise fares. When looking at Azamara and Silversea for comparable itineraries Azamara is at the same or even slightly higher fares for the same relative cabin category.

I must say, I've had the same depressing thought. Being as poor as church mice we scour the newly-released itineraries on the day of release and have generally booked by the end of that day and tend to pay hugely less than waiting until later - our hope is that this early booking process (lower fares plus 10% early booking discount) continues. If not I fear that we won't find SS as attractive as it currently is.

I fear you may be correct in this assumption. Azamara prices have increased dramatically over the past few years and they have now hit upon the idea of charging even higher prices for a new class of balcony cabins - just the same cabins but with "enhancements" such as some free laundry etc.

Don't get me wrong - Azamara is a good product but is now priced at a level above where it actually is. Just an example. Earlier this year we noticed that Azamara were offering a round Japan cruise in April 2019 and then saw that the Silver Muse was also doing a similar cruise. The cruises are the same length but with a slightly different itinerary.

We looked at the Azamara price for a balcony cabin (16.3sq m plus 3.8sq m balcony) and flights and thought it ridiculously high. We then looked at the Silver Muse price for a Vista Suite (31sq m) which came in at a little less. This includes flights, pre- and post-cruise hotel, excursions as well as a much better drinks selection, more choice of restaurants etc.

We are happy sailing on either cruise line, and have done so on both, but for Azamara to be priced above Silversea is a bit strange. Silversea is a better and different product.

Of course, Azamara have been part of Royal Caribbean for some time and I think it must remain a concern as to how this takeover will affect Silversea.

I believe RCI was trying to position AZ in the luxury level however the ship can never be because of the size of the rooms, thus in comes SS. I would not be surprised to see AZ go away at some point. Oceania has the same problem. Some of their trips are priced at a higher rate than SS while SS is a more inclusive product.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Appreciate these great questions and follow-ups. From our experienced travel agent and other info, my sense and readings document that the continuing economic recovery is driving the market up . . . and UP!! More upscale cruisers (especially Baby Boomers) have the money resources and want better and more interesting sailings in unique areas on ships that are not massive 2500-5000 passenger sized. Many of us Boomers have already done the "usual" in the Caribbean, Med, etc. Higher demand for "better cruises" drives up prices, including for Silversea.

BUT, most all of the above-average cruise lines, including Silversea are adding new and larger ships. More capacity to sell and fill!! These factors might counter-balance out the demand and economic recovery aspects that are or could drive up prices. Lots of Economics 101 factors are at work and play. We are getting ready in about 100 days to do an Oceania Nautica sailing from Athens to Dubai. Great itinerary, but it is on an older ship with many of the rooms being somewhat smaller and limited in size and features. Lots of factors are at work as cruise lines consider their future options and offerings. As Keith has noted, it is good to have choices and options. We are not locked in with Silversea and consider what works best for our needs, interests and budget.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,121 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I believe RCI was trying to position AZ in the luxury level however the ship can never be because of the size of the rooms, thus in comes SS. I would not be surprised to see AZ go away at some point. Oceania has the same problem. Some of their trips are priced at a higher rate than SS while SS is a more inclusive product.

Azamara has never been attractive to me because of the small cabins and the price. When I pay extra, I want more room, yet the cabins seems to be nothing larger than what you'd find on a regular Celebrity Veranda cabin. We've found some good deals on Silversea and love the extra cabin size (and smaller ship) than anything else.

Azamara has never been attractive to me because of the small cabins and the price. When I pay extra, I want more room, yet the cabins seems to be nothing larger than what you'd find on a regular Celebrity Veranda cabin. We've found some good deals on Silversea and love the extra cabin size (and smaller ship) than anything else.

We were booked on an Azamara cruise years and years ago in their inaugural year. In fact I think it would have been the Quest second or third revenue cruise after being renovated. At the time they were running great specials and we really wanted to give a smaller ship a try. Unfortunately they kept messy with the itinerary and actually cut the number of days from 14 to 12. Then they switched from sailing from Ft Lauderdale to San Juan, PR. Made us a bit uneasy so we cancelled the cruise. We’ve always thought that was a good decision as early reviews of Azamara were not good and we’ve never been tempted to try them again.

Terry, You will love Nautica. We have sailed her twice and yes the cabins reflect the size of the ship. We bid, however, on one cruise for anOS and were accepted at quite a discount. What fun!

You do not need an OS, though, to love N. The atmosphere is classic and all the requirements; food etc. are luxury class.

As you like to say,

Enjoy

Terry, You will love Nautica. We have sailed her twice and yes the cabins reflect the size of the ship. We bid, however, on one cruise for anOS and were accepted at quite a discount. What fun! You do not need an OS, though, to love N. The atmosphere is classic and all the requirements; food etc. are luxury class. As you like to say, Enjoy

Super excellent comments and follow-up from newlondon. Great news and experiences from your sailings on the Nautica. Wonderful luck in getting an Owners Suite at a major discount. No such luck, for us, yet!! We can always hope. Our cruise is totally sold-out and do think we will be so blessed on this cruise. Will do a live/blog for this upcoming sailing/adventure. I look forward on the Oceania boards for confirming that you were 100% accurate with your analysis/prediction.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,502 views for these postings.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

RCI may have been trying to position Azamara as luxury, however Quest and Journey are old R ships, 694 guests in a tonnage not dissimilar to the Whisper and Shadow with 380. The cabins are really small and the public areas really crowded in comparison. The crew to guest ratio is much lower. They are like comparing chalk and cheese.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, Laura for posting this. Do you or anyone know when the mentioned upgrades to the Wind are scheduled to take place? It seems that there is an upcoming dry dock so I wonder if they will take place during that time? We're booked in the Spring & I'm hoping all will be completed by then.

I was also going to ask the same question as Nowornever did above. It would be appreciated if anyone can share any further information re the Wind refurb. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums