Packing Tips

Maz85

So we sail very shortly! :)

I think I know what to pack, but is there anything that anyone can suggest that I may not have thought about! (Particularly any useful tricks or cheats) For example, shall I take extra coat hangers - there will be three of us sharing a cabin.

I know many of you have been on many cruises and must have picked up some useful packing knowledge.

In addition, is there any restrictions to taking a hairdryer on board. I have very thick hair and usually any hairdryer supplied is useless.

Thanks.

I always take my trousers and skirts on their hangers (2 clips, one at either end). I also take strappy / lightweight dresses and tops on their hangers. The P&O ones are clunky wooden or wire and IMO not suitable for what us girls wear. You can take all the hooks for the wooden hangers off the rail too and store them in your luggage under the bed. You'll understand that when you see it!

Hi definitely extra coat hangers/clip pant hangers....in fact I take all of my own coat hangers....just don't like the clunky wooden ones provided. Also a couple of small diffusers....one in the room & one in the bathroom....

I agree, always take everything on hangers, then dispose of the clunky wooden ones in one of our suitcases and put under the bed, then return them to the wardrobe at the end of the cruise. It saves so much time transferring clothes to the wardrobe than having to put hangers on them. We always take an extension lead, partly so we can charge more than one thing at a time but also because on occasions the plug for our phone charger is quite large and if the socket is over a desk/worktop the larger plug won't fit in.

I always take my own hairdryer as although there's one provided in the cabin I have thick hair and I need a more powerful dryer.

I stuff small items like socks, belts, little bags with DH's cufflinks, ties, etc. into little bags and then inside shoes that have been previously wiped out with an antiseptic wipe. Take large clips to peg beach towels to recliners and fridge magnets to hold Horizon newsletter, excursion tickets and other bits of paper on the cabin walls and free up dressing table space.

I take a torch which has a magnet on the back so stays on the wall , very handy for inside cabins if lights go out , air freshener for toilet and room , bed side clock that glows at night so I always know the time , high lighters for marking your daily newsletter , you can always ask your cabin steward for more hangers which will be normal ones and not the big wooden ones , I put my husband's bow ties in side his shoes

I have a tiny sewing kit, and also a repair kit for glasses with little screws- probably out of Christmas crackers!- and have used both on board. In fact, the screw came out of someone's glasses and was lost on autumn's cruise, and the poor man was so dejected... until I opened my magic pouch! :)

• 2 months later...
Hi definitely extra coat hangers/clip pant hangers....in fact I take all of my own coat hangers....just don't like the clunky wooden ones provided. Also a couple of small diffusers....one in the room & one in the bathroom....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CASCADING-HANGER-several-together-wardrobe/dp/B0055HFEXQ

If you take extra hangers I find these hooks can be helpful. Some ships like Azura have plenty of hanging space but other ships have quite narrow, limited hanging space especially if you are going on a longer trip. These cascading hooks make it less of a squeeze trying to get clothes to hang properly. I use them at home too.

Pack of Anti bacterial wipes - especially for the places that don’t get cleaned well between guests eg. TV remote, door handles, telephone.

Insurance details - just in case.

Passports.

At least 2 phone chargers and extension plug lead.

Patience, sense of humour and tolerance - you never know when these will be needed.

Have a great cruise

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As for Hair-Dryers, Yes, they are prohibited to bring on board, along with any electrical and household appliances.

Hairdriers may be prohibited on some lines but are NOT prohibited on P&O, Cunard, Princess or Celebrity, I have done over 40 cruises on these lines and have never been stopped. I usually carry it in my hand luggage because we usually stay overnight in Southampton but when we used to do fly cruises it went in our checked luggage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Someone told us to take our 'thin' clothes, our middle of the cruise cloths and our 'fat clothes' for the end. Sounds daft, but there is nothing like a slack fitting dress / trousers and some elastic to make you feel more 'comfortable' by the end of a cruise ;)

Someone told us to take our 'thin' clothes, our middle of the cruise cloths and our 'fat clothes' for the end. Sounds daft, but there is nothing like a slack fitting dress / trousers and some elastic to make you feel more 'comfortable' by the end of a cruise ;)

We have week 1 and week 2 clothes!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAUNDRY-BAG-POP-UP-MESH-WASHING-FOLDABLE-LAUNDRY-BASKET-BAG-BIN-HAMPER-STORAGE/171247366617?hash=item27df2371d9:m:mtswRX5NwbloYMW2jf413-Q

I always pop 2 or 3 of these in suitcase. They sit under the wardrobe space on Azura and Ventura. I tend to use one for beach bags. Sarongs and swimming costumes /swim shorts Sun hats etc. never enough drawer space I have one for dirty laundry and if using laundrette works well. Always comments of isn’t that a good idea.

Blimey, what a fuss - LOL. I pack everything in my suitcase and a carry bag for bits. I usually lose a couple of pounds on the cruise. I met someone who reckons they put on a stone? I simply cannot believe that. You would have to stuff yourself like mad to gain that kind of weight in 18 days.