Oslo and Visby

spf

Love Oslo. Easy DIY port. For something unusual walk over the roof of the Opera House but top tip imo is to visit Vigeland Park. We got there by catching the Metro from the central square. It was about a quarter mile walk from the nearest stop to the park. We came back to the centre using the tram which runs right past the entrance. I think it does a circular route. The Park is free but the sculptures are amazing. How anyone can create figures showing so much emotion from lumps of granite is staggering. Best of all it's free!

https://www.visitoslo.com/en/product/?TLp=181601#product-info1

An Oslo must for people of a certain vintage is the three ‘ship’ museums, especially the one that has Thor Heyerdhal’s (sorry if the spelling is wrong) ‘vessels’ Kon Tiki and Ra on display. There is also one showcasing Viking longboats. All three museums are on the same site.

Visby is super easy to do...the ship docks very near the small town and there are ample shuttles to and fro all day ( I think Visby provides the buses for free, can't remember exactly) They drop you right at the town gates. Just go in an wander about. This is a gorgeous town. Just inside the gates and up the road a bit is a fantastic museum with loads of Viking artifacts and history of the town...well worth a visit and only takes up about an hour..there is also a nice cafe there where you can sit outside if weather is nice.

http://www.gotlandsmuseum.se/

An Oslo must for people of a certain vintage is the three ‘ship’ museums, especially the one that has Thor Heyerdhal’s (sorry if the spelling is wrong) ‘vessels’ Kon Tiki and Ra on display. There is also one showcasing Viking longboats. All three museums are on the same site.

Do you mind if I add on that the Viking ship museum is easy to DIY...just walk down the pier to the end where the town hall is...you will see the ferry ticket offices there...buy a ticket for the 10 minute ferry across the bay, hop out on other side, walk up the hill and the museum is there at the top.

Last time I visited Oslo, I got the HOHO Bus at the side of the ship and first went to Vigeland Sculpture Park, where the Bus stops immediately outside. I agree with Kruzseeka - the sculptures are stunning. I am rarely moved by a piece of art but there was one there that almost brought me to tears. There are lots of really lovely pieces.

I then got back on the bus and it took me to the Ship Museums and afterwards brought me back to the ship. It may not be the cheapest way to do it but was very convenient. I also found it interesting to be driven through residential suburbs which were so clean and lovely, with lots of cafe-life. I must admit I fell a little bit in love with Oslo on that trip - and it hadn't been my first visit there either.