Venice Cunard Shuttles to San Marco

aussiebossyboots

I have read on old threads that Cunard provided a 'shuttle' from the ship to San Marco. Old costs quoted $20 for the 2 days (overnight stop).

1. Would anyone know if this is still offered? and the current cost?; and

2. If you paid the 'Cunard Fare' would this shuttle be complimentary?

Many thanks for your input.

Just returned from QE from the Med and Adriatic.. the boat transfer to San Marco was $24 pp r/t regardless of the fare paid. It is sold at the Purser's Office starting the evening before arrival. It might have been a day pass but honestly with the queues and the passage time, I cannot imagine wishing to do it more than once in each direction. The best part of the call at Venezia is the sailing in and out. The being there is mostly a concerted effort to run away from San Marco and selfie stick toting mobs. We managed quite nicely but had to really work on it.

Thanks for your insight kohl57. May I ask your opinion of using the People Mover. Was it close by? Not that walking is an issue for us, just wanted to get a clear idea of distance.

Also was it a cat fight to get a Vaporetto pass (48 hours) at Piazzale Roma?

Again, trying to get insight into possible delays to organize the logistics before actually embarking on our DYI Islands journey.

The reason I asked about the Cunard shuttle is that we are attending a concert that finishes late on the first day (9.30pm) which is about 10 minutes walk from San Marco square. I thought it might be easier to just catch the shuttle. But, following your comments, at $24pp we are better to just catch the Vaporetto - using our 48 hour pass.

The People Mover is pretty close.... we saw it whilst enjoying "we made it" post Venice day early cocktail in the Commodore Club. There is also another shuttle operating from the same pier as the Cunard shuttle and it was, I think, about EUR8 each way. Not sure how frequently it runs.

But my advice is to get up really early to see the arrival and enjoy a bottle of proper champagne on your balcony (if you have one) for the departure. We had our cabin on "the right side" for departure and the British Airways staff on the flight over provided me with a comp bottle of Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle which was enjoyed on sailaway.

San Marco and the immediate environs are a nightmare frankly but you really can escape the mobs if you work on it. And if you have an overnight, you will find they largely vanish after 5.00 pm.

You can buy Vaporetto passes online in advance. Try to figure out how much you'll use it, though. The Grand Canal may be worth two trips, and if you're going to Murano and/or Burano you'll need a boat to get there and back, but after that the best part of Venice is walking along the maze of little alleys and getting yourself un-lost. You may find that a one-day Vaporetto pass or even buying individual tickets is a better deal.

The people mover is easy to get to but for all the distance it travels you might as well walk it. If you cut through the car park across the road from it you can walk under a road kink right & left and within a few paces will be passing under the people mover. Once at that point finding your way through the alleyways & streets is lovely. We got to San Marco before the crowds but weren't inclined to queue for anything so after a quick wander and some photos went off exploring all the little shops. Even managed to find a supermarket to pick up some more water.

Thanks wenlyn - we were thinking the same thing. Decided to walk from the ship to the Jewish Ghetto for the first day.

Second day, we will go to the Islands. This will give us time on the first day to organize a Vaporetto pass after the crowds organize theirs earlier on the first day.

We have been to Venice before for 5 whole days so this time we are going to concentrate on the things we missed out the first time.

Thanks for your insight kohl57. May I ask your opinion of using the People Mover. Was it close by? Not that walking is an issue for us, just wanted to get a clear idea of distance.

Also was it a cat fight to get a Vaporetto pass (48 hours) at Piazzale Roma?

Again, trying to get insight into possible delays to organize the logistics before actually embarking on our DYI Islands journey.

The reason I asked about the Cunard shuttle is that we are attending a concert that finishes late on the first day (9.30pm) which is about 10 minutes walk from San Marco square. I thought it might be easier to just catch the shuttle. But, following your comments, at $24pp we are better to just catch the Vaporetto - using our 48 hour pass.

The people mover is 1.50 euro each way,well worth it.Murano and Burano in a day is a mission,mainly taken up travelling on the water.Do your homework,which I didn't do 3 weeks ago,and it will be a lot less strenuous,lol.

Thanks everyone for your input. We are currently planning on:

Day 1: Walk to Jewish Ghetto and then to San Marco - over to San Giorgio Maggiore. In the evening we have a concert booked at Church of the Pieta. Lots of stops all day for coffee/cake, lunch and an early dinner.

Day 2: Island Day - Torcello first, then Burano. If we have time we will pop into Murano.

We are still thinking about the People Mover. Depends how many people head in that direction. Walking is OK with us. It takes about 10 minutes (Google) to walk from the Passenger Terminal to Piazzale Roma. Plus the extra time from the actual dock to the Terminal building.

According to my research (may be wrong) the ship leaves late at night around 9pm. So if we get back a bit later that should be OK. But will change plans and delete Murano if we have to be back earlier.

Cheers and thanks again.