Ever wondered what a crew cabin looks like?

Mynki

And Celebrity has a very strict policy regarding alcohol. No second chances!

Most of the lines (if not all), are that way, since the alcohol limits are set by international conventions and must be a part of the company's ISM code.

Most of the lines (if not all), are that way, since the alcohol limits are set by international conventions and must be a part of the company's ISM code.

The offender is brought before the Captain (usually the next day) with another crew member in attendance (manager/supervisor). The incident is logged and the offender dismissed instantly, no matter where in the world. They then have to pay their way back home!

Then again, you are not subject to random alcohol testing, with a 0.04 limit, 24 hours a day, every day.

Is that 40 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres?

The English drink drive limit is only 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres. If you're over that you'll lose your driving license. One of the cocktails served in the Martini bar could in theory put you over this limit so the crew don't have much chance...

Is that 40 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres?

The English drink drive limit is only 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres. If you're over that you'll lose your driving license. One of the cocktails served in the Martini bar could in theory put you over this limit so the crew don't have much chance...

I think you may mean 80mg per 1000 ml, or 0.08%. You would be totally sloshed at 80mg per 100 ml. We measure in %, so, yes that is 40mg per liter. And, in the US, driving impaired is typically 0.08%, so mariners have half the allowance. Fairly comforting when you think they are responsible for your safety. Typically, crew bar only sells beer and wine, not cocktails, though I can't see the youtube to see what pricing is linked. Be a bit surprised if Celebrity sold hard liquor in crew bar, but they may. In the US, if crew measures over 0.04%, they can lose their merchant mariner credential, and any chance of a shipboard job until rehab is completed. Many lines also restrict the top officers (Captain, Staff Captain, Chief, Staff Chief, and Hotel Director) to 0% alcohol at all times.

I think you may mean 80mg per 1000 ml, or 0.08%. You would be totally sloshed at 80mg per 100 ml. We measure in %, so, yes that is 40mg per liter. And, in the US, driving impaired is typically 0.08%, so mariners have half the allowance. Fairly comforting when you think they are responsible for your safety. Typically, crew bar only sells beer and wine, not cocktails, though I can't see the youtube to see what pricing is linked. Be a bit surprised if Celebrity sold hard liquor in crew bar, but they may. In the US, if crew measures over 0.04%, they can lose their merchant mariner credential, and any chance of a shipboard job until rehab is completed. Many lines also restrict the top officers (Captain, Staff Captain, Chief, Staff Chief, and Hotel Director) to 0% alcohol at all times.

It depends on whether we’re measuring alcohol in blood or breath. Drinkaware says: “In England and Wales, the alcohol limit for drivers is 80 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath or 107 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine.”

Maybe it is just an urban legend, but I think I remember stories of the staff partying pretty hard (at least some of the time)...enough that they would easily be over the limits mentioned here...I would bet as long as things don't get out of hand mgmt lets them be adults and doesn't go out of their way to look for reasons to test them.

Maybe it is just an urban legend, but I think I remember stories of the staff partying pretty hard (at least some of the time)...enough that they would easily be over the limits mentioned here...I would bet as long as things don't get out of hand mgmt lets them be adults and doesn't go out of their way to look for reasons to test them.

Lots of that was from Breun's book, which took a lot of liberties with the truth, and was a composite of many individuals. And, yes, prior to 1990, there were no limits on alcohol. The cruise lines, just like all shipping companies, are required to randomly test 10% of the crew per month. The crew "numbers" (your emergency station list number) is generated ashore by third party companies using random number generators, and those numbers are sent to the ship, and the crew are notified to report to medical at a given time for testing (one tour, I was chosen for testing 3 times). Also, if things get a little rowdy in crew bar, or for a crew party, there will almost always be a testing of selected individuals (testing can be done for "reasonable suspicion"). What a lot of folks don't realize is that the Surveillance Dept., which mans the monitors that all those cameras feed, are an independent reporting department outside of the Captain's authority, reporting directly to corporate, and in many cases, these folks have the authority to require drug and alcohol screening and issue disciplinary actions without approval of the crew's normal supervisory chain of command. Also, failure to maintain the random drug and alcohol testing process, or failure to address problems with substance abuse onboard the ship can get supervisors into hot water with corporate, as the international conventions on this are very clear and strict, and if an officer or supervisor onboard fails to follow corporate ISM policy, then the company can have all kinds of problems entering ports with a notation on their ISM certificate, including extra attention from DEA and USCG for failure to maintain the ISM.

I think you may mean 80mg per 1000 ml, or 0.08%. You would be totally sloshed at 80mg per 100 ml. We measure in %, so, yes that is 40mg per liter. And, in the US, driving impaired is typically 0.08%, so mariners have half the allowance.

I tried a BAC calculator to see what would happen if a a male, 150 lbs, crew member, who spent the last two hours on a wild crew party drinking just 3 cans of beer got tested. 49ml/100ml, too much. :rolleyes:

How many crew cabins are on a typical Celebrity ship and what deck?

That crew cabin is small.

Depends on the ship as the crew count varies. Went with the Millie, about 950 crew. Figure two thirds are in 4 person cabins, so that is about 160 quads, one quarter in doubles (120 cabins), and the rest in singles (maybe 80 cabins). There will be cabins behind the bridge for the deck officers (5 doubles or 10 singles), and the senior officers (Captain, Staff Captain, Chief Engineer, Staff Chief Engineer, Hotel Director, all in singles). The rest of the crew will be in deck 2 (forward part) and deck 1. Don't know how Celebrity numbers their decks, but I would suspect there are about 2 or more decks below deck 1, the highest one being mostly crew cabins, then places like the main laundry, and engineering spaces.

I tried a BAC calculator to see what would happen if a a male, 150 lbs, crew member, who spent the last two hours on a wild crew party drinking just 3 cans of beer got tested. 49ml/100ml, too much. :rolleyes:

The limit works out to less than a beer an hour. And that is for traditionally weak US mass market beers. Craft beers (though you couldn't get those in crew bar if you wanted) at 8-10% alcohol will put you over for a few hours after just one. One reason I don't drive after I've had even one drink, as getting stopped for DUI, even when home on vacation, can jeopardize my engineer's license and my livelihood.

The limit works out to less than a beer an hour. And that is for traditionally weak US mass market beers. Craft beers (though you couldn't get those in crew bar if you wanted) at 8-10% alcohol will put you over for a few hours after just one. One reason I don't drive after I've had even one drink, as getting stopped for DUI, even when home on vacation, can jeopardize my engineer's license and my livelihood.

I applaud you for not driving under any influence. Zero is a better norm than, "well, two maybe three, but it was 2 hours, so .." even when you're not a mariner. Then again, I must admit that once in a while I do make such calculations.

How would your employer know that you got a DUI? Does every contract start with a check for you to be an outstanding citizen?

I can hardly believe that not a single member of the crew or (junior) officers ever gets drunk once during their contract with a penalty of being fired the next day. I hope the inherent need to party hard when you're 25 is respected by not conducting the 24/7 tests between between midnight and 10 am.

I applaud you for not driving under any influence. Zero is a better norm than, "well, two maybe three, but it was 2 hours, so .." even when you're not a mariner. Then again, I must admit that once in a while I do make such calculations.

How would your employer know that you got a DUI? Does every contract start with a check for you to be an outstanding citizen?

I can hardly believe that not a single member of the crew or (junior) officers ever gets drunk once during their contract with a penalty of being fired the next day. I hope the inherent need to party hard when you're 25 is respected by not conducting the 24/7 tests between between midnight and 10 am.

It's not my employer that would know, it is the USCG, who issues my merchant mariner's documentation. Every 5 years, I have to renew these, and that includes a criminal background check, including DUI arrests.

While the random testing would not be done during night hours, the results of hard partying would still be in a person's system hours later. And, as I've said, the line can do testing based on "reasonable suspicion", in other words, if reports came back from someone about a particular group partying hard in crew bar, or even ashore, they could call that group down at any time, even when coming back up the gangway from the party, to submit to a test. It is taken very seriously, and the company can find itself in trouble for not following the requirements and administering the policy fully. Now, does that mean the company goes after everyone who may be a little above the limit? No, but if you make it obvious, that you are impaired, the company's hands are tied, and they really have to show that they administered the policy fully. Do crew get drunk and fired? All the time.

It's not my employer that would know, it is the USCG, who issues my merchant mariner's documentation. Every 5 years, I have to renew these, and that includes a criminal background check, including DUI arrests.

While the random testing would not be done during night hours, the results of hard partying would still be in a person's system hours later. And, as I've said, the line can do testing based on "reasonable suspicion", in other words, if reports came back from someone about a particular group partying hard in crew bar, or even ashore, they could call that group down at any time, even when coming back up the gangway from the party, to submit to a test. It is taken very seriously, and the company can find itself in trouble for not following the requirements and administering the policy fully. Now, does that mean the company goes after everyone who may be a little above the limit? No, but if you make it obvious, that you are impaired, the company's hands are tied, and they really have to show that they administered the policy fully. Do crew get drunk and fired? All the time.

Why would anyone report that? Does it happen? While policy may say that the impaired crew member, whose job won't start in 5 hours, long enough to be able to clean cabins, should be fired, I'd fire the snitch and try to find a way to keep the best crew who, in order to keep sane, needs to go wild a few times during their 6 or 9 month contract.