Ever wondered what a crew cabin looks like?

Mynki

They sure are small, but he’s lucky to have a single berth, even with twin share bathroom (if you could call it that lol). Many are two share bunk style in a not much larger cabin space!

Certainly would force you to pack Light!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Note: the size depends also on the role of the crew. This man seems to be relatively high on status (but not being an official, I didn't notice uniforms), so a single cabin. I think he is a qualified mechanic (machine room or so), because of helmet with hear protection in ready ready to take position.

But nice to see that also crew needs to insert card several times, before getting the green light.

I did not think it looked bad. I been on behind the scene tours on several cruise lines and they always left that out.

My son was a college dormitory resident assistant (a hall monitor) a few years ago at a large SEC university. I recall crashing in his dorm room to catch a football game and the hall had a shared large shower room for the whole floor (maybe 40 male freshmen and sophomores). Did not change much from when I went to college a long time ago :)

Looks to be the same size our cabin was on our first cruise.

LOL I was thinking that too. Sitmar Fairwind in 1982. Our family of four shared an oceanview room with a little porthole. I was only 12 at the time but could touch both walls of the bathroom with my arms extended. And to think the Oasis class ships are more than 10x the size of the Fairwind. OP thank you for posting, very cool to see!

LOL I was thinking that too. Sitmar Fairwind in 1982. Our family of four shared an oceanview room with a little porthole. I was only 12 at the time but could touch both walls of the bathroom with my arms extended. And to think the Oasis class ships are more than 10x the size of the Fairwind. OP thank you for posting, very cool to see!

We were on American Hawaii Cruise Lines, SS Constitution, 1991. Your cabin sounds exactly what ours was like.:D

Not bad compared to navy ships.

Right on...and, I bet NO SALT water showers. ;p

Not to mention -- no worries about getting stuck in a berth located underneath the catapult!:eek: (Our DS once spent the better part of a year, on the USS Nimitz.;))

I am also a teenage veteran of the Fairwind. I remember 2 twins and 2 bunk beds and a tiny porthole. No recollection of the bathroom. However, there was a bathtub around the corner in a small room. My Mom bathed every night and we always booked the same room so she could use it. Doubt others even knew it existed 😀

As mentioned before, as a junior officer, I had a SR that had 6 bunks and two sinks, with a ‘head’ down the passageway. As a medium grade, I shared a SR with one other guy (two bunks) and again a sink. As a senior officer I got a single rack SR, but the same size as the other two-person SRs, and ‘head’ down the passageway. My sailors had three-tier rack bunks with minimal storage and shared the space with a large number all in one space. The most senior had more room, usually a bit more space for meetings, but not much.

That’s Life on a ship where space was premium, just as it is for the crew on any cruise ship; main or luxury. You learn how to give each other ‘space’ where little space exists.

I’ve got a kick out of listening to someone complain about their small SR or little storage in front of or even to crew......and the crew don’t fall down laughing, they just shake their heads agreeing how terrible it all is for the poor passenger.

Den

Our onboard internet doesn't do video, so I can't see the cabin, but from the descriptions, that sounds like a junior officer/supervisor level single (third engineer, third officer, deck supervisor for cabin stewards, head bartender, etc, basically your one-stripers). And, also as noted, this is a "perk" cabin. Cabin status is one of the few perks the crew get as they move up the hierarchy. By far, the majority of crew share a cabin about 9 x 12, that sleeps 4. Two sets of bunks separated by about 3 feet, with a tiny writing desk between, the bathroom smaller than a pax bathroom, 4 lockers, 4 under bed drawers, and a desk chair. There are even 6 person cabins. I've known third engineers to bring their wives to sail with them (another perk of rank), and two people have lived in one of those single cabins for 10 months. What I call a strong marriage. More senior officers get larger cabins, right up to the Captain, Chief Engineer, and Hotel Director, who have suites.

Problems come when you lock the connecting door in the shower/toilet, and forget to unlock it when done, your "neighbor" can get real agitated with you about not being able to use the facilities.

And, I agree with all of the former "gray funnel line" posters, all accommodations on cruise ships is better than naval vessels, for all levels.

Three thoughts.

First, guy is lucky to have own cabin. I thought that was reserved for officers, lead performers, and a few select others (he must be one of those).

Second, only slightly smaller than my first inside cabin on the SS Norway. Considering I shared it (upper/lower bunks), this crew member actually has more room per person, though we did have our own shower.

Third, a LOT more room than most US Navy enlisted have on ships and submarines. And more than many junior officers, some of whom must "hot bunk" (meaning you share the same bunk because you're on different watch sections so sleep at different times) and nearly all of whom share a stateroom

When you're working almost all of the time (true on cruise ships and USN ships), your cabin is really little more than a place to sleep and maybe do some work. Thus, having a place that's quiet is important. Having any space to yourself is a luxury!

Three thoughts.

First, guy is lucky to have own cabin. I thought that was reserved for officers, lead performers, and a few select others (he must be one of those).

I believe I've read somewhere that some of the performers (pianist in piano bar, comedian and the like, not the singers and dancers in the main theater shows) are booked in regular passenger cabins for their relatively short stints on board (compared to regular crew who work for months at a time). I'm sure it varies though.