conflicting data on dress code

I've spoken to 2 different people at RCI regarding recommended dress code for the main dining rooms and/or Chops/Giovanni's Table.

One person said... men can wear nice dress shorts with golf type shirts or collared shirts..no jeans, cut offs, tank tops. resort casual is recommended. Chops etc would be long pants with a sport jacket. Just nice dress shirts, no tie.

Then I was told today that even in the main dining room, they prefer sport jackets, dress pants, maybe a tie or suit if desired. NO shorts in any ship restaurant unless it's the buffet. Really??

I'm reaching out to previous passengers on the Adventure of the Seas. People that have been there and saw what fellow cruisers actually walk in wearing to the MDR and upscale dining venues.

Just wondering if they "bend the rules " as to what's acceptable especially on the first night because they know some passengers won't get their luggage by dinner time so they "let" you wear shorts in the MDR. They did this on NCL. Thoughts???

Thanks for any help on this matter!!!

No jackets needed. "Smart casual" is the suggested dress for the specialty restaurants. Long pants and collared shirt for men will do just fine.

As far as the MDR...some do wear shorts....not "sport" shorts or swim trunks, but real shorts.

1st night is always ultra-casual, because not everyone gets their luggage before dinner.

If you want to go with the majority, most men wear long pants in the main dining room. However, you will see longer shorts in there, too. Some ships stop passengers at the door and ask they return to their cabin and put on long pants, or eat in the buffet.

Bring a pair just in case, so you're prepared for either. Never saw a pair of shorts in Chops. Yes, 1st night is very casual.

If you want to go with the majority, most men wear long pants in the main dining room. However, you will see longer shorts in there, too. Some ships stop passengers at the door and ask they return to their cabin and put on long pants, or eat in the buffet.

Bring a pair just in case, so you're prepared for either. Never saw a pair of shorts in Chops. Yes, 1st night is very casual.

Wait.

Just today on another thread it was stated that shorts in the MDR was OK.

When was the last time you witnessed someone being turned away at the door and asked to return and put on long pants (not "elegant" nights).

Wait.

When was the last time you witnessed someone being turned away at the door and asked to return and put on long pants (not "elegant" nights).

It's been many years. Shorts are perfectly acceptable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Wait.

5 months ago on the Rhapsody.

I've spoken to 2 different people at RCI regarding recommended dress code for the main dining rooms and/or Chops/Giovanni's Table.

and if you called a third time you could have gotten a third different answer.

Wear what you want.

Wait.

In December on Serenade, only on Formal nite, witnessed multiple people turned away wearing shorts/tank tops. They returned wearing pants and collared shirts...

One person said... men can wear nice dress shorts with golf type shirts or collared shirts..no jeans, cut offs, tank tops. resort casual is recommended. Chops etc would be long pants with a sport jacket. Just nice dress shirts, no tie.

Then I was told today that even in the main dining room, they prefer sport jackets, dress pants, maybe a tie or suit if desired. NO shorts in any ship restaurant unless it's the buffet. Really??

I'm reaching out to previous passengers on the Adventure of the Seas. People that have been there and saw what fellow cruisers actually walk in wearing to the MDR and upscale dining venues.

Just wondering if they "bend the rules " as to what's acceptable especially on the first night because they know some passengers won't get their luggage by dinner time so they "let" you wear shorts in the MDR. They did this on NCL. Thoughts???

Thanks for any help on this matter!!!

Who are your RCI people?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh my would people get off the dress code there is none and wear what you want!!! Royal has suggestions they are not mandatory only suggestive guidelines, just off the Oasis and every night anything pretty much went in all the dining rooms, shorts, t-shirts, jeans, suits, as long as you wear clothes!!

By an overwhelming margin, sounds like dressy shorts with collared golf shirts will be fine in the mdrs.

Long pants and dress shirts in chops and Giovanni’s.

Thanks guys. Nice to know the “ accepted” attire. We’re not sailing on Cunard!! Lol

You can go slop the hogs and then immediately go into the dining room. And if you dare complain, you will be beaten down the "I don't care what others are wearing". You only care if the guy is drunk, wearing a Cozumel t-shirt advising you how to have adult activity with him in public, all the while using every foul word, in every combination, in front of your kids.

I have seen shorts in Chops MANY MANY times.

By an overwhelming margin, sounds like dressy shorts with collared golf shirts will be fine in the mdrs.

Long pants and dress shirts in chops and Giovanni’s.

Thanks guys. Nice to know the “ accepted” attire. We’re not sailing on Cunard!! Lol

The maitreD on Freedom told me they only enforce the dress code on formal night.

All the other nights people were very!! casual.

In the Speciality restaurants most people make more of an effort to dress nicer but as you are paying extra I have never seen anyone turned away for what they were wearing.

There are 2 parts to this which sadly are often conflated.

Suggested dress = the style royal suggests for the evening eg formal, casual, tropical theme etc. This is genuinely a suggestion only, completely up to you, not enforceable.

Dress code = these are actual rules, posted in the cruise compass and on a sign at the door of the MDR. Includes no bathing suits, flip flops or singlets in the MDR. It previously said no shorts in the MDR for the evenings (lunch ok) but they stopped enforcing this on most ships long ago and it seems to not even be listed in the rules some places now. It WAS listed as no shorts on Explorer in March when I last cruised, but wasn’t enforced.

Royal makes this complicated by being inconsistent.

Edited by BekkaW

There are 2 parts to this which sadly are often conflated.

Suggested dress = the style royal suggests for the img eg formal, casual, tropical theme etc. This is genuinely a suggestion only, completely up to you, not enforceable.

Dress code = these are actual rules, posted in the cruise compass and on a sign at the door of the MDR. Includes no bathing suits, flip flops or singlets in the MDR. It previously said no shorts in the MDR for the evenings (lunch ok) but they stopped enforcing this on most ships long ago and it seems to not even be listed in the rules some places now. It WAS listed as no shorts on Explorer in March when I last cruised, but wasn’t enforced.

Royal makes this complicated by being inconsistent.

Agree. About every other Cruise at least one Cruise Compass does say, "No Shorts allowed", always on a Formal nite, not as suggest dress code as other ones said. Then it's been about 2-3yrs but have seen signs outside Main Dining stating no Shorts...