Does Harmony offer scooters for anyone?

just wondering, been having some walking issues and checking to see if available on ship? Thanks :)

The cruise line does not supply scooters or wheelchairs. You must arrange for these items on your own.

just wondering, been having some walking issues and checking to see if available on ship? Thanks :)

There are two main companies that rent them and deliver to the ship, Special Needs at Sea — as mentioned by Tee & Chilli — and Scootaround (they go by another name too that I can’t remember right now). If you check out the special needs cruising boards here you will find more info. If you use a travel agent, they can book it for you.

You can arrange for the cruise line to give you a wheelchair transport on and off the ship on the first and last day — but be prepared to wait... and wait... and wait. You can often also get assistance down the long piers in some ports, but this isn’t guaranteed. In both cases, be prepared with tip money. As Host Clarea noted, they aren’t going to give you a scooter or chair to use on board.

Also, if you rent a scooter, remember it needs to be stored INSIDE your room. If they have space they *might* let you store it at guest services, but you cannot, under ANY circumstances, leave it in the hallway. So you need to make sure it can fit through the door (using one of the companies above helps resolve this) and that you will have room in your cabin. If you are planning to share an interior cabin with three other people, for example, you won’t have room for a scooter. We always get a junior suite to make sure we have room — wider doors and more “parking” space. ;)

Brooke sent this from her iPad using Tapatalk

Direct from Royal Caribbean's website:

Q: Does Royal Caribbean provide wheelchairs or scooters on or off the ship?

A: We provide complimentary wheelchairs for getting on and off the ship. If you would like to have a wheelchair or scooter during the cruise, you are welcome to bring your own or rent one from a company that provides wheelchairs and scooter rentals for cruises:

• Scootaround (formerly Care Vacations): 1-888-441-7575 or 1-204-982-0657
  • Special Needs at Sea: 1-800-513-4515 or 1-954-585-0575

If you rent a scooter you might consider getting an accessible room. Or at least check with the cruiseline as to how wide the door in your room is. On a regular stateroom you may or may not be able to get a scooter inside and there probably won't be much extra room for the scooter in the room. You could ask your room attendant to remove the coffee table. Otherwise, you will have to store the scooter in another area (your room attendant will let you know where).

Ships are huge and there is lots of walking, not to mention all the walking at ports. A scooter can be a life saver.

Also, if you rent a scooter, remember it needs to be stored INSIDE your room.

I think this might be the policy, but, the reality is that people often place these outside their room. In fact, we knew one woman who had her wheel chair stolen from the hallway. (They found the culprits)

Personally I'd like to see this policy enforced. I think it could be dangerous in the event of an evacuation. Hopefully none of us will have to find out.

I think this might be the policy, but, the reality is that people often place these outside their room. In fact, we knew one woman who had her wheel chair stolen from the hallway. (They found the culprits)

Personally I'd like to see this policy enforced. I think it could be dangerous in the event of an evacuation. Hopefully none of us will have to find out.

I might be wrong but I believe it is a SOLAS regulation.

It definitely is dangerous. Hopefully, if you see it you report it to security.

It would be nice. But seeing as the majority of the time the room stewards have all variety of carts and vacuums in the hall, it's kinda hard to argue that the scooter is a hazard if those aren't....

I totally get that it's dangerous, but, I don't have the heart to report somebody who has mobility issues. I'm a softy that way. ;-)

As someone with mobility issues, I am not entitled to disregard policy and SOLAS regs and leave my chair in the hallway. Call security. Don’t treat me with kid gloves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be nice. But seeing as the majority of the time the room stewards have all variety of carts and vacuums in the hall, it's kinda hard to argue that the scooter is a hazard if those aren't....

But the stewards would be in a nearby cabin with the door open if anyone needs the carts moved immediately.

But the stewards would be in a nearby cabin with the door open if anyone needs the carts moved immediately.

And the owner of the scooter would also be in a nearby cabin.....It has already been determined on the ships that leaving scooters in the hallway provided that they don't block the hallway for others with carts or scooters. It is not in itself illegal to have a scooter in the hallway. Just False news. Too many CNN reporters on the ships these days.

And the owner of the scooter would also be in a nearby cabin.....It has already been determined on the ships that leaving scooters in the hallway provided that they don't block the hallway for others with carts or scooters. It is not in itself illegal to have a scooter in the hallway. Just False news. Too many CNN reporters on the ships these days.

There was a thread on this a while back. Numerous people confirmed it is not allowed and published the appropriate SOLAS regulation. Hallways have to be kept clear - steward is close by and can move cart if asked. Numerous scooter and wheelchair users commented on how they could not pass a scooter, or stroller or anything else parked in the hallway.

Calling security is the appropriate thing to do.

Carts can be easily moved scooters cannot. Wheelchairs can get pass carts easier because carts are normally narrow than scooters.

I totally get that it's dangerous, but, I don't have the heart to report somebody who has mobility issues. I'm a softy that way. ;-)

But it's ok for wheelchair bound passengers to struggle to get pass a scooter that belongs to someone who can walk short distances?

They probably got tired of going around it. :D

As someone who rents a scooter on board for times I’m not using a Rollator, I either find an area nearby where the scooter can be parked without impeding traffic such as some extra wide hallway sections on Quantum class ships or other areas as directed by crew. Housekeeping will also pick up the scooters at night and take them somewhere to be charged and return them to you in the morning when you call for it. I have more difficulty getting my Rollator past all the housekeeping carts then the scooter, some of those carts are there all hours day and night.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

But it's ok for wheelchair bound passengers to struggle to get pass a scooter that belongs to someone who can walk short distances?

This is the problem. Those that can’t walk don’t leave them in the hall. It is those that use them for convenience that leave them in the hall.

I have mobility issues and say "report them!" I follow the rules and park my scooter in my stateroom. When others don't, I cannot always get past them in the hallways. I have three choices:

1. Find them and ask them to move it.
  2. Move it myself.
  3. Go all the way around the other direction.

Unfortunately, a lot of people who rent scooters for cruises have never driven them before. They struggle to get them into their cabins. But, "practice makes perfect." It's time to practice!