Clearwater Beach/Coopers Nature Reserve Bermuda

tkleinvt

Has anyone recently (summer 2018) traveled to Clearwater Beach? What is the best method to go to and from St. George’s to the beach? I know we will ferry to St. George’s but can’t confirm if there is a mini bus to the beach? Or if we should take a taxi or the regular #6 bus.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we went 2 years ago. We are going again in a couple of weeks on our cruise.

Last year we took a taxi from the cruise terminal and arranged with the guy to come back and get us. There were seven of us - 4 adults and 3 kids - so it was a bit tight. But I sat in the front and the guy was really nice.

This year there are 14 of us so I arranged a minibus through this company to come get is at the cruise terminal.

https://aplustransportservices.com/

I gave the group the option of doing that or taking the free NCL ferry to St. George and getting cabs there, but nobody wanted to deal with the hassle of multiple cabs or waiting for the bus. We have used the bus many times in Bermuda, so our group isn't averse to it - we just wanted hassle free transportation given that we're such a big group.

We love Clearwater Beach and the Preserve and think it's totally worth the time it takes to get over there.

We took the ferry last week and then fought (yes fought) for a taxi at the square. We arranged for the taxi to come back and get us (party of 7) but he never showed! There were some shuttles running but were unmarked and until we asked one driver we were scrambling to get a ride back. We thought they were ship excursion transportation. The one driver we asked agreed to being us back as he was afraid we’d miss the ferry.

The bartender did call a taxi for us, but couldn’t get one because of the size of our party.

We made it back with an hour plus to spare (last public ferry at 5:45pm) but all the shops closed earlier than posted (5pm but were closed by 4) and we just sat around for an hour waiting.

We took the ferry last week and then fought (yes fought) for a taxi at the square. We arranged for the taxi to come back and get us (party of 7) but he never showed! There were some shuttles running but were unmarked and until we asked one driver we were scrambling to get a ride back. We thought they were ship excursion transportation. The one driver we asked agreed to being us back as he was afraid we’d miss the ferry.

The bartender did call a taxi for us, but couldn’t get one because of the size of our party.

We made it back with an hour plus to spare (last public ferry at 5:45pm) but all the shops closed earlier than posted (5pm but were closed by 4) and we just sat around for an hour waiting.

Thanks - this is helpful. And that is our main concern, the scramble to get a ride back to St. George’s. We will only be a party of 2 and hope we can arrange a taxi to come back and get us. I know there is a bus (runs every hour) that will be our last resort.

What was your impression of the beach/facilities/amenities? Did they have any rentals (chairs, paddle boards, umbrellas)?

Clearwater is beautiful and clean! There are no big waves so it’s a very relaxing.

There are 2 outfits renting chairs and umbrellas. We rented from the Bermuda Triangle Experience. It was $35 for two chairs and 1 umbrella. The nice young man dragged our chairs away from the very small crowd already there. There were less than 100 people on the whole beach including the 2 local daycamps. Once tourists arrived, the women running the camps actually moved their kids way down the beach away from us. There was no need to do so, but that’s kinda the Bermuda way.

The beach bar had amazing drinks and food. I couldn’t eat anything there (news gluten free food) but my fellow travelers LOVED everything.

There is a brand new bathhouse with toilets. Outside showers with good water pressure.

There is a large grassy park with a nice playground. You can walk across the park to Turtle Bay Beach (no turtles that day). Or down a bit further to access the Nature Reserve. We spent the whole day in the water and on the playground.

Clearwater is beautiful and clean! There are no big waves so it’s a very relaxing.

There are 2 outfits renting chairs and umbrellas. We rented from the Bermuda Triangle Experience. It was $35 for two chairs and 1 umbrella. The nice young man dragged our chairs away from the very small crowd already there. There were less than 100 people on the whole beach including the 2 local daycamps. Once tourists arrived, the women running the camps actually moved their kids way down the beach away from us. There was no need to do so, but that’s kinda the Bermuda way.

The beach bar had amazing drinks and food. I couldn’t eat anything there (news gluten free food) but my fellow travelers LOVED everything.

There is a brand new bathhouse with toilets. Outside showers with good water pressure.

There is a large grassy park with a nice playground. You can walk across the park to Turtle Bay Beach (no turtles that day). Or down a bit further to access the Nature Reserve. We spent the whole day in the water and on the playground.

Thanks this is all very helpful. I think a Clearwater Beach experience is worth any hassle in getting transport back to St. George’s. We’ll make a day of decision if we plan to go out to Clearwater (and get a taxi/ferry or bus/ferry back) or make alternative beach plans.