Bermuda (Horseshoe, Elbow Beach, Hair Braiding)

tantine

We are just off the Escape (7/22-7/29). This was our 6th time in Bermuda and we love it.

Here is some info based on what we did which I hope someone will find helpful!

Bermuda

Horseshoe Beach

We took a taxi ($32 each way) to Horseshoe Beach as soon as the ship was cleared. We were at the beach by 8:20am. Beach was completely empty except for a few people walking. Guys were there for chair rentals but we didn't realized that chair rentals didn't start until 9:30. We tried swimming but it was very, very rough. We finally got our chairs and umbrellas at 9:30ish. There is a line that builds up very quickly once people start arriving on the beach. Even though the staff is there they don't start putting chairs out until exactly 9:30.

$45 for one umbrella and 2 chairs. Additional chairs: $18, Additional umbrella: $15. So we did 4 chairs and 2 umbrellas for $90. It got extremely crowded by 11:30. Tried swimming on and off but the waves stayed rough and lifeguards were in and out warning people about undercurrents and trying to keep people safe. We enjoyed our day and this is still one of my favorite beaches, but I've never seen Horseshoe so rough. We couldn't even walk through the coves like we usually do because the water was slamming against the rocks.

Elbow Beach

We got day passes to Elbow Beach Resort ($276 for 4 people). Took taxi to and from the resort (I think $44 each way). We signed in an got chairs and umbrellas. There is bar service to the lounge chairs. The beach was amazing and we spent most of the day in the water. I love this beach!

The desk where you check in with the day pass has noodles, pool floaties to use in the ocean. They also have books to borrow and read for the day. With the day pass there is no access to the pool. I knew this but one couple next to us go very annoyed when they found out they couldn't use the pool.

Hair Braiding

My daughter really wanted to get her hair braided and our plan was to return to Horseshoe Bay our last day in Bermuda. DH and I got so sunburned the day before at Elbow Beach that we were in no shape for a beach. I remembered that there was a tent in the dockyard not far from the ship on our last trip, but we couldn't find it. We asked onboard and were told that there was someone who used to do them in the salon, but she was not currently on the ship. Then someone mentioned that they do the hair braids in Snorkel Park. So we tried that. You have to pay the entry fee for Snorkel Park ($5 each) even if you are only going for hair braiding.

There were 6 people in front of us. There is a list to put your name on and then you can go do other things and check back to see how many people are in front of you if they are busy. Cost is $8/braid or there was a special 5 braids for $25. It took us about an hour and a half total to wait and get them done. Not my favorite way to spend a morning but DD was very happy.

Did you see anyone doing beach massages?

We've been to different islands that either have a place set up or people walking the beach offering to do them.

Will be there in a week and it would be awesome to find one.

Did you see anyone doing beach massages?

We've been to different islands that either have a place set up or people walking the beach offering to do them.

Will be there in a week and it would be awesome to find one.

I have never seen any place set up on any of the beaches in Bermuda offering beach messages. People don’t walk beaches in Bermuda offering to sell anything. That is a feature of Bermuda that many of us like and appreciate.

You could arrange a massage at one of the private resorts. Grotto Bay has a spa.

Thank you for all the info. Had you arranged for the Elbow Beach day passes in advance (if so, how?), or were you able to just show up and purchase? Also, if we have time for one beach day, which would you recommend -- Elbow or Horseshoe? Thx!

Thank you for all the info. Had you arranged for the Elbow Beach day passes in advance (if so, how?), or were you able to just show up and purchase? Also, if we have time for one beach day, which would you recommend -- Elbow or Horseshoe? Thx!

Day passes can be purchased for these resorts, Coco Reef and Elbow Beach, The day passes are offered by Resorts for a Day. Both beaches are on the South Shore and are close to each other.

Both resorts only offer a limited number of day passes, and do sell out.

SBtS

So if they are sold out online for our dates (yes, they already are), does anyone know how likely it is that they may still sell some of those day passes on the spot?

I would not trek out to either resort with much expectation they will sell on the spot. I have not read any reports from this years season where that happened.

You might check your cruise line shore excursions. I have seen Elbow Beach resort sold as an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515