Viking Spirit to become Viking Orion

MMDown Under

We are booked on the Spirit/Orion for 2019. We've twice sailed on a different ship named Orion. The first was with an Australian company named "Orion Expedition Cruises" and later that same ship after it was purchased by National Geographic. Our first two Orion experiences were fantastic, so I assume the 2019 one will be as well! It's just confusing when telling people what ship we're sailing on as they will think we are back with National Geographic! I think I'll just say we are sailing with Viking Ocean cruises. I did receive an updated reservation form yesterday.

I just watched the float out video on YouTube. It looked to me like a big chunk of paint fell off the side of the ship where the champagne bottle hit the hull. Did anyone else notice that?

Or was it just the sun reflecting off the liquid champagne as the bottle broke?

I looked at a still of that frame and it sure looks like paint has flaked away. I can see bare metal. It looks to be about a foot square.

I did notice that.

Also, at 1:44 (of the YouTube version) one can see workers sitting on what appears to be blocks for the next ship, ready to start the assembly.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for being "late to the party" but I was one who was rooting for Saga but I think Orion is a good name. Star, Sea, Sky, Sun, Orion. The only "down side" is that it breaks the pattern of ship names starting with an "S". But it also keeps things somewhat elemental and celestial. Which "Spirit" was not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry for being "late to the party" but I was one who was rooting for Saga but I think Orion is a good name. Star, Sea, Sky, Sun, Orion. The only "down side" is that it breaks the pattern of ship names starting with an "S". But it also keeps things somewhat elemental and celestial. Which "Spirit" was not.

Char, don't worry. There are still a few more ship's to name and we may get our Saga yet. But agreed, Spirit never really did it for me either.

I looked at a still of that frame and it sure looks like paint has flaked away. I can see bare metal. It looks to be about a foot square.

Did the same. Could it be ink from the bottle label? Regardless, we can be sure they will deal with whatever damage was caused by that bottle. It will look like new.

We have just booked the Orion 10/21/18 Beijing-Hong Kong. This will be our first experience with Viking after cruising for many years with Windstar, Oceania and Silverseas.

I'm hoping that Cruise Critic will add a separate Roll Call for the Orion very soon.

We have just booked the Orion 10/21/18 Beijing-Hong Kong. This will be our first experience with Viking after cruising for many years with Windstar, Oceania and Silverseas.

I'm hoping that Cruise Critic will add a separate Roll Call for the Orion very soon.

There already is Main Call for the Spirit so if you want a roll call for your sailing it is up to people cruising on that date to start one.

I would agree. Just use the existing roll call forum for Spirit until CC catches up with the name change. People are already addressing it there. Viking Spirit Roll Calls:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?1087https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?1087

Just checked btw - there are a number of roll calls underway but none for yours (@roomiec - referring to the October Beijing-Hong Kong cruise). So go forth - start one! Be brave! It's quite painless. [emoji2]

Jumping in to say that we just changed the name over on http://www.cruisecritic.com, but that changing the rolls calls is a manual process. Our community team is aware and will make the change soon. Please continue to use the Spirit roll calls until we can make that update. (We just rolled out a massive site redesign, so there are a lot of fixes going on right now, which could delay the specific fix you're looking for!)

Jumping in to say that we just changed the name over on http://www.cruisecritic.com, but that changing the rolls calls is a manual process. Our community team is aware and will make the change soon. Please continue to use the Spirit roll calls until we can make that update. (We just rolled out a massive site redesign, so there are a lot of fixes going on right now, which could delay the specific fix you're looking for!)

But I think what I read is that the basic nature of the forum app will remain unaffected? And the change is only for Android platforms.

Did the same. Could it be ink from the bottle label? Regardless, we can be sure they will deal with whatever damage was caused by that bottle. It will look like new.

What we are seeing is probably a bed of nails (board with nails sticking out) that was glued on to the hull to make sure the bottle shattered when it hit. Didn't want any embarrassing you tubes to live on forever.

Reason for name of ship is that is what Torstein wants it to be called and when we own our ships we can name it Saga, Spirit Titanic or anything else we want.

Project Orion is an exciting NASA venture (https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/orion/index.html) that in my opinion reflects a lot of the Viking spirit

What we are seeing is probably a bed of nails (board with nails sticking out) that was glued on to the hull to make sure the bottle shattered when it hit. Didn't want any embarrassing you tubes to live on forever.

Reason for name of ship is that is what Torstein wants it to be called and when we own our ships we can name it Saga, Spirit Titanic or anything else we want.

Project Orion is an exciting NASA venture (https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/orion/index.html) that in my opinion reflects a lot of the Viking spirit

Thanks on 2 counts. The nail board (makes sense) and the link for Project Orion.