Small Bottles for Beach Sand

bakersdozen12

So I am thinking of getting some tiny bottles with corks so that I can collect some beach sand from each of the beaches that I visit on my upcoming cruises. Can anyone tell me if this is allowed? Will they get confiscated when I'm getting back on the ship? I'm talking about very tiny bottles.

Thanks in advance.

Ah, this has taken me back to my childhood collecting different coloured sand at Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight!

Its a lovely thing to do. I doubt you will have any problems bring it back on board.

Edited by Canugess

Great! That's good to hear. I got the idea when I was talking to one of my coworkers about her recent cruise to Bermuda. She was telling my about how the sand there looks sort of pinkish, so I was thinking that it would be really cool to be able to compare the different sands from different beaches. Plus, I think it's a neat (and inexpensive) souvenir from each place we visit. A way to take back a little piece of our vacation with us.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Buy several single serving Gerber baby food jars. Pour the awful goop in them into the trash and then remove the paper labels. Spray paint the screw on lids and presto - you're collector ready.

Years ago a passenger on a Caribbean cruise was trying to collect the wonderful blue water she encountered on her cruise but was very disappointed to find that unless polluted, water is water. I think she changed to collecting sand before the cruise was done :D.

• 2 months later...

I know you've gotten alot of replies already, but here's another lol... I filled small bottles from all 3 of the islands in the Bahamas last year and had no problem at all. It was on Carnival, not NCL but I doubt there is a difference. I found little plastic bottles at the dollar store (dollar tree to be exact) that were different shapes! They had a screw on white cap (I was afraid a cork cap would come out in my suitcase, and with my luck i'm sure it would've!) Have fun with it :-)

• 2 weeks later...
I had a Ziploc bag of sand from St. Maarten and they wouldn't let it back on the ship. FYI this was sailing with RCL

We were on Carnival last fall with a stop in St. Maarten. I had a quart sized (sandwich) freezer zip-lock baggie with shells (all empty ones from up on the beach) and had another with a little sand, just enough to fill the bottom about 1/4 inch. Getting back on the ship, I was questioned by ship security about the shells (I guess they can see them in the scanner) and whether they were empty or had a living creature in them. I told them all were empties and had no problem. They never said anything about the sand, but maybe it was cause it was only a little - maybe enough to almost fill an old camera film canister case.

As for displaying it once back, a friend sent me pictures of what she did with the sand and shells I sent to her: She had beautiful little jars with corks and wooden tags...Hobby Lobby. The sand was in a small jar and the shells were in a larger jar, both with the neatest shapes and she wrote on the tags where the sand/shells were from.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

• 1 month later...

I've got several collections of sand and water, including water I gathered while hiking atop a glacier. :-)

Onboard, I use ziplock bags and bottled-water-bottles.

(EDITED TO ADD: it's not letting me put full URLs... these all come from tiny url dot com)

Once home, I use glass bottles like these:

http://*******.com/j29m6v4

http://*******.com/jlpfog5

http://*******.com/zf5ld9c

and seal the corks with this:

http://*******.com/z5wc9hw

If you're worried about getting sand confiscated, just don't put it in your bags. If you have no metal on you, your pockets won't get checked... and I've never had a half-drunk water bottle questioned by the ship.

Even better, I always seem to have an actual bottle of booze with me coming back onboard... it distracts the ship's crew.

Edited by brianlojeck

• 2 weeks later...

I use glass craft blocks to add sand and a pic (with added text of where and date) If you have Hobby Lobby, they are 50% off every other week or you can always get a digital 40% coupon. Or, Mason jars would work too!

2071340483_sandglassblocks.jpg.6b6165c59aa984402b0a4eb5758ef196.jpg

Edited by RogersRanch
  • Like 2

This really sounds like a very good idea. I might bring some corked bottles to my next cruise as well. It would make a nice souvenir for each beach that we will visit the next time! Thanks for this!

I would recommend bringing ziplock bags and then putting it in the corked bottle when you get home. Then you won't have to worry about the cork coming separated from the bottle and spilling sand in your bag.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I plan to fill the clear glass Christmas ornaments about 1/3-1/2 full of sand from the different beaches. With a cute little tag with the location on it.

I brought back a water bottle with sand and ocean water for my kinders to look as last year. I had several students who loved to shake the bottle and watch the sand settle. They loved hearing about the "big ship". I have already told this years students that I'm going in March!!

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

On our Carib and Bermuda cruises there has always been a note in the daily planner saying that bringing back sand, shells, and similar items is prohibited.

This thread seems to have been going along for years, but one thing we didn't see mentioned is that if everyone continues to remove sand from beaches there won't be any beaches anymore.

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2021 at 8:39 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

This thread seems to have been going along for years, but one thing we didn't see mentioned is that if everyone continues to remove sand from beaches there won't be any beaches anymore.

Because we all know it isn’t continually moved in and out by the waves, wind and rain; nor could it possibly gain more sand by the natural breakdown of corals/shells/rocks.  Oh wait…it IS and it DOES!!! 

People collecting sand has never caused the elimination of a beach.  

I would suggest a more worthwhile battle.  

Edited by Robin122

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

What about mini-bottles that hold liquor?  

The answer is still that your cruiseline will probably have a directive to not remove or bring aboard any sand, shells, etc. due to the risk of them containing contaminants.