How do "the Edge" passes work?

raynne

We are going on our first P&O cruise this December on Pacific Explorer. My husband and sons will be interested in these passes. Can someone please explain how they work? I think we would purchase the gold passes. Is there a limit to the number of activities that you can do? On a 10 day cruise do we select when the 7 day pass begins? Do you need to prebook activities? Are activities only available for short periods of time each day? (like rock wall and surf simulator on RCL) ?

Are activities very popular and difficult to access? Are the passes worth buying? Will 11 year old be happy with pools, waterslides and kids club instead?

thank you in advance.

We are going on our first P&O cruise this December on Pacific Explorer. My husband and sons will be interested in these passes. Can someone please explain how they work? I think we would purchase the gold passes. Is there a limit to the number of activities that you can do? On a 10 day cruise do we select when the 7 day pass begins? Do you need to prebook activities? Are activities only available for short periods of time each day? (like rock wall and surf simulator on RCL) ?

Are activities very popular and difficult to access? Are the passes worth buying? Will 11 year old be happy with pools, waterslides and kids club instead?

thank you in advance.

No limit. You do have to book though, and there are somewhat limited slots like RCL. It's not like just 2 hours a day, but probably around 6 per day per activity. Depends on the activity staff, which activities are onboard and their availability.

I've only seen them as whole cruise so not sure where 7 days come in, unless it's something new. Doesn't make much sense though to only be 7 days out of 10, as they couldn't sell two sets for the cruise.

Popularity depends on number wanting onboard so hard to say. If you book early you should be fine. Passes are definitely worth it over buying individually and being somewhat unique experiences, I'd say is worth it in any case. As for being happy with just slides, that depends on the person! If they prefer to hang out in the club with people they'd probably prefer that. If they prefer doing some different challenges and activities, more sporty, and or do stuff on their own (not that you will only be on your own, but if they're not the type that has to be always in a group) they'd probably prefer Edge.

It took us a day or two to get the hang of the booking system but it does work well. We were on a school holiday cruise but were still able to get on a good number of activities each day. Sometimes an activity would be full but then would be run again later in the cruise so everyone got a turn. My kids' faves were zip line, walk the plank, abseil and laser tag (in the main auditorium). This was on Eden. The segways are pretty lame so next time we might go for the silver pass. You can usually buy the passes in the terminal while waiting to board and they have 10% off. Not sure about 10 day cruises or what exactly is on Explorer, sorry.