Costa wine/Vino policy and prices

Serengeti228

I am a wine drinker and I plan to take my first Costa cruise in the near future.

Except for the "lunch and dinner (Pranzo & Cena) package and the "All inclusive (Brindiamo)" package which I am aware of, I want to know:

1. The price of a glass of house pour white/red wine.

2. The starting price (Euro 20, 25???) of a bottle of red/white wine from the menu.

3. Does Costa offer a special package price when purchasing a few bottles of wine at the same time, just like what NCL's Vina VIno package ( 4 bottles for the price of US$88, 98, etc...)?

4. Can I bring along a bottle or two and I pay for the corkage fee, as NCL or HAL?

Thanks.

I'll try and help with some answers:

1. Glass of wine €5.99 plus 15% service charge.

2. Bottles of wine start from about €22.00, there will be recommended wines on the dinner menu. All bottles of wine will also incur the 15% service charge.

3. Costa has various wine packages that can be bought onboard, e.g. „Pacchetto Classico“ with 3 red, 3 whand7 bottles of mineral water for €124.99 plus 15 % service charge. Once onboard check to see if there are any special offers on wine packages.

4. Costa's policy is no food / drink allowed onboard, either during embarcation of port visits., so no corkage fee. Some people do smuggel, if caught the drinks will be returned at the end of the cruise.

PS. Prices can vary a little depending on the ship, season and region.

PPS. Some ships and a wine and cheese bar with their own sommelier.

Edited by G.M.T.

One other point on the Pacifica last year when we purchased bottles of wine not on the Brindiamo package because friends we had met joined us for a drink a couple of evenings, we got 50% discount on full bottles, now this may have been because we knew the Sommelier from previous cruises, but worth asking.

On the Intendore/suite package you have a greater choice of classic wines, and the mini-bar in cabin is stocked to your choice at no extra charge.

2. Bottles of wine start from about €22.00, there will be recommended wines on the dinner menu. All bottles of wine will also incur the 15% service charge.

3. Costa has various wine packages that can be bought onboard, e.g. „Pacchetto Classico“ with 3 red, 3 whand7 bottles of mineral water for €124.99 plus 15 % service charge. Once onboard check to see if there are any special offers on wine packages.

4. Costa's policy is no food / drink allowed onboard, either during embarcation of port visits., so no corkage fee. Some people do smuggel, if caught the drinks will be returned at the end of the cruise.

Thank you GMT and you scored perfect 10. For A.3, I presume the waiter can cork up the unfinished bottle for the next meal.

Thank you GMT and you scored perfect 10. For A.3, I presume the waiter can cork up the unfinished bottle for the next meal.

Thank you. Your dining room waiter will corkup the wine bottle (will write your name on it) for the next meal.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this advice.....

1. Yikes, that's R100 for us .... I can buy 2 bottles of good local (South African) red wine for that! Or 3 bottles of plonk. :eek: Tough having such a weak currency :(

4. when you say "if caught, drinks will be returned"... how actively do they look for smuggled drinks at excursion ports? I ask because on the MSC Sinfonia, we saw bottles of wine/spirits clearly shown on the luggage scanner in other people's bags after excursions, but nothing was ever confiscated. They turned a blind eye. It made me feel like it was a rule that they didn't really enforce, but I was too scared to try myself!

PS. are Costa ships always charged in Euros? Does a repositioning cruise use the currency of the country of embarkation? The Costa ships in Asia Pacific.... what is the onboard currency? We are doing Singapore - Saverno, so will that be Euros or an Asian currency?

Costa is very similar to MSC. With regards to taking alcohol onboard, try it, it's pot luck if you get caught. If you are caught, you are not made to walk the plank these days, the confiscated drinks will be returned to you on the last day.

The onboard currency for Costa ships (except for departures from North and South America Ports where it is US $) is Euro.