Grand Harbour Hotel

castlewood

We've stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel many times, since back when it was associated with the Devere Group. The first few times it was very good; then we began to see a slow but steady decline in the physical condition of the hotel and also in its service. The last time we stayed there (July 2016), it was truly dismal -- so bad that I'm surprised local business and health authorities were allowing it to remain open. We resolved never to stay there again.

We will need stay in Southampton in a few months, and suddenly my wife is receiving Facebook postings from the Grand Harbour which imply that everything's changed, that the hotel has returned to its former glory, etc. Can anyone comment? It's not easy for me to personally apprise the situation, as I live roughly 3,000 miles away (near NYC). Thanks for any feedback!

You can stay at the Holiday Inn ! over the road for a fraction of the price. After all, 'if it's only a bed that you'll need, and only for a night before joining the luxury of a Cunard Queen',then take a look at this.

The Grand Harbour Hotel is so over rated (especially with our American cousins) and still living on it's laurels .

The new hotel is very good with thoroughly up to date facilities and good food. The rooms are lovely and all have marina views. It's design is like a cruise ship and you sort of feel that you are aboard ship already! If you don't want to eat in the hotel there are also many other restaurants nearby in Ocean Village.

It makes the Grand Harbour look more tired and run down than ever!

It is an easy walk or a very short cab ride to Ocean Terminal

The new hotel is very good with thoroughly up to date facilities and good food. The rooms are lovely and all have marina views. It's design is like a cruise ship and you sort of feel that you are aboard ship already! If you don't want to eat in the hotel there are also many other restaurants nearby in Ocean Village.

It makes the Grand Harbour look more tired and run down than ever!

It is an easy walk or a very short cab ride to Ocean Terminal

We are booked in for the night before our New Year cruise on QV. Looking forward to trying it.

When I stayed in the GHH two years ago it was very tired. Friends have been to an event there and it was so bad the company putting on the event will never go there again. They said the worst parts were the rooms, they just hadn't been maintained properly and the hotel had some sort of heating failure so my friends weren't even able to take a shower before their event. GHH staff didn't seem to care that such a basic thing wasn't working - and of course you worry about eating any food in a hotel when the hot water has been switched off!

We've stayed at the Grand Harbour Hotel many times, since back when it was associated with the Devere Group. The first few times it was very good; then we began to see a slow but steady decline in the physical condition of the hotel and also in its service. The last time we stayed there (July 2016), it was truly dismal -- so bad that I'm surprised local business and health authorities were allowing it to remain open. We resolved never to stay there again.

We will need stay in Southampton in a few months, and suddenly my wife is receiving Facebook postings from the Grand Harbour which imply that everything's changed, that the hotel has returned to its former glory, etc. Can anyone comment? It's not easy for me to personally apprise the situation, as I live roughly 3,000 miles away (near NYC). Thanks for any feedback!

Yes, we used to stay at the Grand Harbour too but moved to the Holiday Inn several years ago. We always have an Exec room on a high floor facing the City Terminal so that we can watch the ships, especially in the morning. We also usually take a bed, breakfast and evening meal deal which is pretty reasonably priced - not fantastic by any means but we continue to stay there so it must be ticking some boxes.

The Grand Harbour Hotel is independently owned since it was sold off By The De Vere Group and is no relation to the new Southampton Harbour Hotel, Ocean Village,

The Southampton Harbour Hotel, Ocean Village is Brand New and is owned by a company who have around another 13 similar 5 star venues around the country.

https://www.harbourhotels.co.uk/hotels/

https://www.southampton-harbour-hotel.co.uk/

Access presently is slightly difficult due to the building work still going on in Ocean Village,

Five star prices with a 10% service charge added.

We used to stay at the DeVere, but it grew so shabby & tired that we stopped. We have stayed in the Mecure Dolphin in the High St, but haven't been impressed by that either. A few years ago we finally tried Ennios. Love it! Only ten rooms, very nice & clean. The staff are lovely & helpful & the restaurant is very good, but does get booked up quickly. We always choose a front facing room so DH can watch the Red Funnel ferries sailing to & from the Isle of Wight from the terminal over the road. The only downside is that it doesn't have a lift, but the staff will help with luggage or will store it.

Had lunch at the Southampton Harbour Hotel yesterday in the Jetty restaurant, looking at the yachts. Lovely food, excellent service. Prices to suit most people. Also had a drink in HarBar(what a name,) on 6.They have food there, burgers, pizzas etc. They also have a lovely outdoor area.

I have stayed in the Grand Harbour Hotel more recently and it was good in my opinion. Decent restaurant and swimming pool. The Holiday Inn just opposite is more basic but cheaper. It depends on what you are seeking.

I have also had a top room at the Southampton Hilton at the Ageas Bowl, this is the Hampshire County cricket ground and the best rooms have balconies overlooking the pitch. Provided no cricket matches are on parking is easy but taxis are going to be more expensive due to it being out of town. See images on the website.

Regards John

Let us know what you think, I need somewhere for a night next March and as it's my birthday I would like it to be somewhere nice.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Forums mobile app

If you are looking for something absolutely special; what about the forts hotels, Spitbank Fort, No Man's Fort and Horse Sand Fort. Really nice hotels but not really sensible for a night pre-cruise.

Regards John

If you are looking for something absolutely special; what about the forts hotels, Spitbank Fort, No Man's Fort and Horse Sand Fort. Really nice hotels but not really sensible for a night pre-cruise.

Regards John

Interesting ....another time maybe ?

The Holiday Inn starts it's total room re-furbishment in November 2017. Don't know the time it will take, but there will without doubt, be disruptions, so may be better to check before booking.

Edited by yoj13
punctuation

• 2 weeks later...
The Holiday Inn starts it's total room re-furbishment in November 2017. Don't know the time it will take, but there will without doubt, be disruptions, so may be better to check before booking.

I stayed there a while back when infrastructure was being renovated and it was not too bad at all.They had completely screened off and shut the front restaurant and bar. A rear entrance was in play into a banqueting suite which was normally a functions room and meals were served in there and you could order drinks. I think room refurbishment will be even less of a problem to be honest.

Regards John