Transportation Options to San Pedro

Sammigar

:confused: We will be flying into LAX a few days before our cruise in 2018. The plan is to visit Disneyland and California Adventures, staying in a hotel along S. Harbor Dr (not a Disney Hotel). Since we've never been to California before, we plan to use the resort trolley bus instead of renting a car.

I don't really like the idea of having to go back to LAX to catch a shuttle to the port so, what are our options to get from our hotel in Anaheim to San Pedro and what type of cost are we looking at?

A Google search indicated a taxi ride would cost just over $100. That seems excessive. Looking for something a little more cost effective.

Any links and cost estimates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You want Anaheim, fine. NOT close to San Pedro, about 38 miles.

You already know what the cost will be for this decision. I would look into hotel that would provide transport in exchange for MULTI night stay

The two inexpensive but reasonably convenient options:

1) A rideshare service such as Uber or Lyft.

2) A shared shuttle service. Yes, they do pick up or go to places other than airports. I just went to the SuperShuttle site, for example. I made a dummy booking search for one-way ride "to airport" for two persons...scrolled down the airport list to "Los Angeles Harbor" (it's near the bottom). Plugged that in as the airport and, arbitrarily plugged in the pick-up spot as the Hyatt Regency Orange County (on Harbor just south of Disney--I stayed there myself a couple of weeks ago). Came up with a rate of $57 for a shared shuttle, $95 for an Execucar town car (not shared...better than a taxi since it's a set price and a nicer car).

Good luck.

:confused: We will be flying into LAX a few days before our cruise in 2018. The plan is to visit Disneyland and California Adventures, staying in a hotel along S. Harbor Dr (not a Disney Hotel). Since we've never been to California before, we plan to use the resort trolley bus instead of renting a car.

I don't really like the idea of having to go back to LAX to catch a shuttle to the port so, what are our options to get from our hotel in Anaheim to San Pedro and what type of cost are we looking at?

A Google search indicated a taxi ride would cost just over $100. That seems excessive. Looking for something a little more cost effective.

Any links and cost estimates would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We stayed at Disneyland before our recent June cruise.

As some have said Uber is a terrific option. Also Lyft.

If you want to firm up something in advance we also have used execucar. They are a subsidiary of super shuttle and their web site is http://www.execucar.com

Sometimes doing a google search you can find a small discount for them.

Also if you have not used Uber before you can get a discount pretty easy and normally they offer one for starting service with them.

The drive to the port will vary based on time of day and day of week. Figure about an hour but it could be a little shorter then that or slightly longer.

Have a great time. We visited Disneyland a few times in the 1980's and 1990's and then have been back there this year and also last year and had a great time. Always enjoyed the Magic Kingdom but also enjoyed California Adventure and all the other evening options that weren't in place when we went there in the early years.

Keith

Thanks everyone. We've never used Uber before and I had no idea it would save so much over a taxi. Are the cars typically midsize or bigger? Or can that be requested? If so, I think that's the way we'll go.

Cars are generally smaller with UberX...if you want to insure a larger vehicle, go with UberXL...which, of course, costs a bit more...

Also, know that the pricing can vary...like a taxi, it is dependent on traffic...If it is a time of high demand, you may find what they call “surge pricing” where the cost may be multiples of the usual cost...

So, the more accurate description is that it is GENERALLY cheaper...though not always. A couple of times, when disembarking a cruise ship or arriving at an airport, we’ve made a quick switch to a shuttle or taxi due to Uber unavailability or surge pricing. Some advise, when finding surge pricing to wait a while, then try again...but some of us lack the patience to do that...

• 2 weeks later...

We did this a couple of years ago. We were a family of 6 and we used a private van from Karmel Shuttle from The Carousel Inn in Anaheim to the port in San Pedro. It was cost effective and quite quick (well, as quick as traffic can be in L.A.) I believe they also do a shared shuttle but that would take longer, as they stop at multiple hotels. You can book them direct or through Expedia I believe.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in this area? We have never been to LA. We will be getting off Island Princess next September after doing coastal cruise. I think we disembark in San Pedro, but I need to confirm. Is Anaheim a good area to stay? We plan on staying 3 nights and maximizing the time we have after getting off of the ship. Would appreciate any insights or recommendations.

Can anyone recommend a hotel in this area? We have never been to LA. We will be getting off Island Princess next September after doing coastal cruise. I think we disembark in San Pedro, but I need to confirm. Is Anaheim a good area to stay? We plan on staying 3 nights and maximizing the time we have after getting off of the ship. Would appreciate any insights or recommendations.

All depends on what you want to do with your three days...

Anaheim is nowhere near most of the typical Los Angeles tourist sights... It is in "suburban" Orange County...Sort of the other direction from most of where many want to go. OTOH, if you want to spend your time here at Disneyland, that's where you are...

For most more adult LA tourists, I recommend staying on the "West Side"...the area of Los Angeles north of LAX and south of the Santa Monica Mountains--Santa Monica/Marina Del Rey/Beverly Hills/Century City/Westwood et al...The choice location, especially if you won't have a rental car at your disposal, is Santa Monica--lots to do right in the immediate area, a pick up point for all the tour companies and a hub for the HOHO bus tour, near the beach, great weather, upscale area, close to most tourist sights. Some find it a bit pricey, but, remember, LA is an expensive town...and, in hotels, you get what you pay for--a "bargain" hotel usually means a bad or inconvenient location, a substandard property...or worse.

A slightly more affordable area to look at would be Marina Del Rey...there are a few well placed hotels there--close to the Venice Beach Boardwalk.

Another alternative, if you wanted to concentrate on Hollywood, studio tours, Universal Studios and the like, is to stay in the Universal City area.

If you want to rent a car while here, you have some more alternatives...but beware parking charges in many areas.

Good luck...