Travel insurance

DCLCrazy

Hi. I'm trying to compare DCL trip insurance with a company that starts with A and ends with Z. (Not sure if I'm allowed to mention full names on here. I know you can't with TAs. Anyways, does anyone have any experience with either or both of the policies? It seems with "A" you get more bang for your buck. Thanks for any feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. I'm trying to compare DCL trip insurance with a company that starts with A and ends with Z. (Not sure if I'm allowed to mention full names on here. I know you can't with TAs. Anyways, does anyone have any experience with either or both of the policies? It seems with "A" you get more bang for your buck. Thanks for any feedback.

I use a couple of the various travel insurance comparison sites to look for policies. We always go with third party insurance. Typically cruise line insurance costs more for less coverage.

You put in the parameters of what you want covered, and they will show you many different company's policies.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/

https://www.squaremouth.com/

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

There's also an insurance forum here on cruise critic you can ask questions on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=635

I use a couple of the various travel insurance comparison sites to look for policies. We always go with third party insurance. Typically cruise line insurance costs more for less coverage.

You put in the parameters of what you want covered, and they will show you many different company's policies.

https://www.insuremytrip.com/

https://www.squaremouth.com/

https://tripinsurancestore.com/

There's also an insurance forum here on cruise critic you can ask questions on:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=365&f=635

Thanks!

Insuremytrip and USAA (if you can use it) are both far superior than anything any of the cruise lines offer period! Better coverage, cheaper, and far more flexible. I even have experience using USAA to cover a death 45 days before the cruise date. All money spent was refunded and a few options were offered to make the best out of a very unfortunate circumstance.

I've never found insurance thru a cruise line to be a good deal. First, of you buy insurance thru DCL, Disney is not insuring you. DCL simply buys a policy in your name. THey do add the feature that if the insurance company denies your claim, a portion of the cruise cost can be applied toward another DCL cruise by the same person within a time frame.

Private carriers give more coverage for less money. First, many include a "free" kid policy with a parent or grandparent policy. Secondly, the coverage itself is superior. People have told you where to look for a policy. One hint I was given--most companies offer several policy levels. THe intermediate one is typically only a few dollars more than the "bare bones" and offers a lot more coverage. Other point--from a cost standpoint, trip insurance is never a good deal. If it were, the companies would go broke. So think about why you are purchasing and what other coverage you might have. We buy because my health insurance specifically excludes anything outside the US. I'd be pretty grumpy with a big medical bill. I also have a credit card that provides travel insurance if I pay for the trip with the card but is quite restricted coverage without medical. You may have similar "hidden" coverages.

Cruise line insurance should be a last resort.

SHop the comparison sites but book directly with the travel insurance provider so you have a direct relationship established if you have to submit a claim.

Cruise line insurance CONS:

1. conflict of interest of the cruise line selling insurance to protect the trip/cruise they are offering

2. generally more expensive

3. generally lower coverages

4. if you have a claim, the cruise line wont help

5. often only covers the cruise leg of your trip or if you buy air from the cruise line (not if you buy your air, hotel, etc for pre or post cruise).

PROS:

Cruiseline will insure all ages--often at a great expense but you wont be turned away.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Again, depends on your demographics. I am a "young" older retired person, and for cancel for any reason can be very expensive independently purchased. I have found that for my needs that I may use the cruiseline's insurance and then I have purchased full 2 year's coverage with Medjet to cover the expensive exposure of flying home from overseas. With Medjet you can decide to fly home to where you want to go; it's not a medical dr. decision. So you just need to look at all options, not just say no to cruise line's insurance is all I am saying. But if you are young and just a couple, independent coverage is "usually" a less expensive option.

Pooh

You are correct that private insurance is based on the age of the insured as well as cost and location of the trip while the insurance sold by DCL is based only on a percentage of the cruise cost. As the insured gets older, cost of private insurance may be more than that thru the cruise line, and the insured may not be interested in things like a child's policy at no charge.

Bottom line is that each person needs to compare the policies as well as the cost to figure out what will work best for each individual. But there are lots of negatives to coverage thru the cruise line which may not be present in private policies.

Also, do not "under-insure" your trip. If you do need to make a claim related to the cruise itself rather than a medical issue, they will ask for proof of the cost of the cruise, air, and ground travel. If the figures don't add up to the amount you insured, they either will not pay or will pay a reduced amount. True, you can choose to insure the cruise only, but then you wouldn't be covered for anything relating to air travel to get there; it would be your responsibility to be at the port on time.

• 2 weeks later...

we tend to double insure....

we take out medical insurance (including medivac coverage) for our entire trip (always much longer than the cruise) as well as cruise line insurance for the cruise itself...

we've found that when we've encountered medical issues on board the ship, having the cruise line insurance made medical treatment immediate and free....don't know if that would have been true without the insurance...

e.g., our daughter's finger was nearly bitten off by a sea turtle in st thomas - she required tetanus antitoxin due to the high risk nature of the very deep wound - the ship's medical center handled the entire treatment without any requirements for payment of any kind - i assumed it was because we had the cruise line insurance coverage, but i might be wrong.

Beth, I think your are right that your treatment was free due to cruise line insurance. We had to see the ship's doc on a cruise when we had private insurance. The cost was about $200, which was quite reasonable considering that it included the antibiotic and another med. It was fully covered by our private insurance and we were provided with all the necessary paperwork at the time of the visit. But we did need to pay it (billed to shipboard account) and then submit to the private insurance for reimbursement.