Shore Excursions with a 1 year old and 4 year old

dteague82

We are going on Disney Fantasy in October for the Western Caribbean (now due to Irma): Cozumel, Fallmouth, Grand Cayman. There are 6 of us in our family with 2 kids a 1 year old and a 4 year old. My question is really about transportation outside of the Disney-booked excursions - taxis. We do not plan to rent a car or bring car seats for the ports; however in Cozumel, we would like to go to Chankanaab & 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman. Both of which, we will need to use taxis. How safe are the taxis in these ports? Will the taxis reject us as we have a baby and no restraint? I feel like the areas we are trying to visit in Cozumel and Grand Cayman are relatively close to the port, so I feel like it is something we can handle. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Car seats are not required in most ports. No, they won't reject you. In Cozumel, the cost is "per cab" (not per person) and is posted on a board at the port. For 6, just get a van-type cab. Grand Cayman is about the safest port you'll ever visit, and one of my favorites. There is also a public bus available to 7 mile beach should some in your group want to return before the rest or whatever.

I always bring my kid's car seats because that's one area of safety I am passionate about. I had to bring it BACK on the ship in Cozumel once because there were no seatbelts in the taxis. We passed on the first one because of it and every subsequent taxi was also missing them. So there would not have been a way to secure the seat anyway. We held our son as tightly as possible and hoped for the best. I don't always feel particularly safe in the taxis there. They tend to speed and brake hard. :o

We took the public bus (basically a large van) in Grand Cayman with our 2yr and 4yr olds. There were no seat belts so using car seats was not possible. If I remember right, the taxis look very similar to the buses so they may not have seat belts either. I made sure my kids sat straight up, their back against the seat back, etc.