Stockholm 2016 information and advise

Need some help planning our very short port stop in Stockholm on Sunday, June 10th. We will be arriving on the Regal Princess, and one of the reasons we chose this cruise was so we would sail into Stockholm. I'm not sure which pier we will be docked at, but we do have a very short day from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm. Our priority is the Vasa Museum and perhaps walking through the Old Town and touring City Hall if it's open on Sunday. My question is what is the easiest way to get to the Vasa Museum? I believe it opens at 8:30 am, and I had hoped to take the HOHO boat to the museum, but from what I'm seeing, the HOHO boat doesn't start until 10:00 am, which would be much too late for us. We hope to go straight to the Vasa Museum and be there when it opens, and then go to the Old Town for a walking tour or just touring on our own. What do you recommend for as the best transportation to the museum. Will anything be open in Old Town--shops or City Hall for a tour on Sunday?

Many thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...
Need some help planning our very short port stop in Stockholm on Sunday, June 10th. We will be arriving on the Regal Princess, and one of the reasons we chose this cruise was so we would sail into Stockholm. I'm not sure which pier we will be docked at, but we do have a very short day from 7:00 am to 2:00 pm. Our priority is the Vasa Museum and perhaps walking through the Old Town and touring City Hall if it's open on Sunday. My question is what is the easiest way to get to the Vasa Museum? I believe it opens at 8:30 am, and I had hoped to take the HOHO boat to the museum, but from what I'm seeing, the HOHO boat doesn't start until 10:00 am, which would be much too late for us. We hope to go straight to the Vasa Museum and be there when it opens, and then go to the Old Town for a walking tour or just touring on our own. What do you recommend for as the best transportation to the museum. Will anything be open in Old Town--shops or City Hall for a tour on Sunday?

Many thanks for your help.

I took the regular bus from the pier, but it depends on where you dock. It does stop around the corner from the vasa museum. Your idea to go straight there is good— i was probably 10th in line when I got there about 15 minutes before they opened. Totally packed when I left.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I emailed the operator of the HOHO boat, Stromma, about their schedule next June since their regular schedule is usually 10:00 to 5:00. We dock early and want to be st the Vasa Museum when they open at 8:30. The Stromma rep confirmed that they will offer an early schedule to take people from their Stadsgarden dock to Vasa if a big ship is in port. Very happy to hear that as our port time is limited in Stockholm.:D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important!

There are some changed in the public transport from today.

Bus #53 will change it's routing through Gamla stan from the eastern side (Skeppsbron) to the western side Munkbron/Munkbroleden.

It will also have denser traffic during mornings and afternoons.

Something like this for the new routing through gamla stan.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Slottskajen,+111+30+Stockholm/59.3210106,18.0719585/@59.3244237,18.0695343,16z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m15!1m1!1s0x465f9d58f0d51c9b:0xeed79a89224f260a!2m2!1d18.0724605!2d59.3279393!3m4!1m2!1d18.0665343!2d59.3249817!3s0x465f77e2222d2c8d:0x1678f1afc9ecc1c0!3m4!1m2!1d18.0687675!2d59.3227401!3s0x465f77e3a8bf612d:0x5ae5628c2081a81c!1m0!3e2

Bus #76 will no longer stop at andra and tredje tvärvägen stops. Closest stop for them will be Värtahamens färjeterminal.

This does not affect Frihamnen stop. This bus line will also have extended traffic on weekends and it will now be in

service until 22.00 on weekend evenings.

Commuter train between Stocholm and Nynäshamn now have different numbering.

The new numbers are:

42X Märsta - Stockholm City - Västerhaninge - Nynäshamn https://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/V42X.pdf

43 Bålsta - Kungsängen - Stockholm City - Västerhaninge - Nynäshamn https://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/V43.pdf

43X Kallhäll - Stockholm City - Västerhaninge - Nynäshamn https://sl.se/ficktid/vinter/V43.pdf

There will still only be 2 departures/hour though.

Valid to June 21st 2018.

Info about the other changes for Stockholm's public transport.

https://sl.se/sv/info/nyheter/tidtabell-2017/sa-forandras-trafiken-i-december/?date=true

The cruise ship arrival list for 2018 is now available.

https://www.stockholmshamnar.se/fartygslista/ (Swedish)

http://www.portsofstockholm.com/vessel-calls/

You need to manually change the tab to cruise calls and you also need to change the time period.

If it says SEAW SEAWALK in the Berth column, it means that the ship will berth at Nynäshamn and not Stockholm.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! We arrive in Stockholm on the Brilliance of the Seas on Thursday, May 10 docking at Frihamnen638. We are in port from 8 am - 4 pm. Our plans are to head directly to the Vasa Museum and from there we will go to Gamla Stan for the remainder of our time before returning to the ship. What would be our best means of transportation for this itinerary? Thanks so much for the help!

Karen

Hello! We arrive in Stockholm on the Brilliance of the Seas on Thursday, May 10 docking at Frihamnen638. We are in port from 8 am - 4 pm. Our plans are to head directly to the Vasa Museum and from there we will go to Gamla Stan for the remainder of our time before returning to the ship. What would be our best means of transportation for this itinerary? Thanks so much for the help!

Karen

ship's transport, bus #76 or taxi. See first posts for more detailed information.

• 1 month later...
Hi.

Do you know of any discount codes for the Arlanda Express?

Thank you

ML

Only those that are listed on their website.

Early Bird 90-days advanced purchase - web only Single SEK 154

Early Bird 30-days advanced purchase - web only Single SEK 196

Early Bird 14-days advanced purchase - web only Single SEK 252

2 for SEK 350 Single SEK 350

3 for SEK 450 Single SEK 450

4 for SEK 550 Single SEK 550

https://www.arlandaexpress.com/fares.aspx

Thank you. Is that an easy berth to get to?

Sorry for the late response, I seems to have missed this one. It depends on where you are going from.

That area (Frihamnen/Värtahamnen) is served by red bus #76 and partially by blue bus #1 (Frihamnen only).

Overview of bus lines in central Stockholm, this map might a outdated for some lines but see my post

at December 10th, 2017 02:57 PM (CET) for more recent changes.

http://sl.se/resources/maps/geographics/2017/7510.Innerstan.2017.html

We are on NCL Breakaway docking, June 14, 2018 at Nynashamn. We are in port from 8:00 until 16:00, so only eight hours. By my calculaion with train times, wait times and need to be onboard earlier than 16:00, this will give us 4 hours or less actually in Stockholm. Can anyone tell me if they have had a similar experience? Also if that is really the case, are there other options near to the port that we should consider instead? We are a group of 11, including 6 kids, so not sure if the short time in Stockholm warrants all of the travel time.

:DWe had the same situation and decided on Alla Tours. We had our own bus and it was about an hour drive from the ship into town. The tour guide explained the sights to us and took us to the museum. She got us through all the lines and into the museum, on a fast pass.

We didn't want to venture out on our own. We saw the Vasa Museum and spent the rest of the time walking around Gamla Stan. The children in our group loved the Vasa Museum. At least we did get off the ship. This is no time to be cheap and venture out on our own. I'm glad we did the tour.

We did the "Stockholm On Your Own" aka the transportation only option through NCL. The bus ride was 1 hour to Stockholm and then we had several hours to explore the city. We're really glad we did this and were impressed with how much we were able to see during our day. You will want to have a sightseeing plan since you have limited time here.

We were dropped off near the Opera House which is within walking distance of The Royal Palace. The HOHO boat tours are in front of the palace and offer a nice way to see the city.

There are 2 different HOHO boat tours identified by either Red or Green boats. These are separate companies and you can't take a red boat if you bought tickets for the green boat. Many people were confused by this which is why I'm pointing this out. Boats arrive every 15-20 minutes.

We had a beautiful sunny day so we decided to take the HOHO boat to get around which ended up being really fun and a great way to see the city. You also get a set of earbuds so you can listen to the audio guide which is available in multiple languages.

Our first stop was Vasa. This was the one thing we didn't want to miss in Stockholm. We got there around 10am or so. We walked right in and just happened to catch the beginning of a tour with the English guide. We spent about 1.5-2 hours here before moving on.

Because we had such great weather, we decided to visit Skansen Open Air Museum for several hours. This was really cool and would be a great place for kids. After Skansen, we walked around this part of Stockholm for a bit, saw the outside of the Abba museum (it was too busy and we really didn't want to wait to get in) and hopped on a boat to the old town.

We spent the rest of afternoon walking around Gamla Stan and walking down the old streets and exploring shops.

We met the NCL bus where we were dropped off. It was a bit chaotic because everyone was pushing and shoving to get on one of 2 buses back to the ship. People didn't seem to understand that there were 15+ buses that brought everyone there, so there were 15+ buses to bring everyone back. Bus arrivals were staggered because there isn't enough room on the street for more than 2-3 buses to park. We had to show our NCL excursion ticket to get on the bus so keep it with you!

The ride back to the ship was pleasant and I think pretty much everyone on the bus took a nap!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app