Marseille-Cassis & Calanques Hiking

depwife

We arrive in Marseille on a Saturday. We want to to go Cassis for a short time and then venture over to the Calanques to see a couple of the bays. We like to hike so we aren't opposed to doing some hiking if needed.

We want to make the most of our time there as we are only in port from 9am-6pm. Which of the following would you recommend as being the most efficient and economical way to accomplish this? There are 4 of us - me & DH, DD (19) and DS (17).

• Train to Cassis then boat tour to Calanques?
  • Car rental in Marseille and a day of DIY?
  • Cruise shore excursion?
  • Pre-arranged tour such as with Viator (electric bike)?

Thank you all in advance!!!!

When are you going? I looked into doing this for my trip a few weeks ago and just couldn't make the train/bus schedule work. But maybe the train runs more frequently when you will be there.

We will be in port on Saturday June 3rd from 9am to 6pm.

Did you look at the train and bus schedule? If they work, that will be likely the cheapest. I wanted to hike to the 3rd calanques and did not think I had time with the bus and train combo offered. But if you go in June and are ok with a boat tour and not hiking which takes much longer, that will likely work.

Cruise or other tours will likely be more expensive.

A car might be good for your group if you are comfortable driving in France. Though I think you have to get to town as no rentals at the cruise port I don't think.

Edited by chinita415

Did you look at the train and bus schedule? If they work, that will be likely the cheapest. I wanted to hike to the 3rd calanques and did not think I had time with the bus and train combo offered. But if you go in June and are ok with a boat tour and not hiking which takes much longer, that will likely work.

Cruise or other tours will likely be more expensive.

A car might be good for your group if you are comfortable driving in France. Though I think you have to get to town as no rentals at the cruise port I don't think.

Thanks!

I hope it works out for you! I was on the mobile app and did not see your sig with your upcoming cruise when I asked when you are going.

Anyway, this was helpful:

http://mikestravelguide.com/the-easiest-way-to-get-from-marseille-to-cassis/

The bus was not running often in January but should be ok in the summer. Also, my understanding is that it is easy to get a boat when you get to Cassis in the summer.

It looks beautiful. Reminds me a lot of a park here locally in Central California that I love: Pt Lobos. http://www.pelicannetwork.net/pointlobos1.html

edited to add - the Marseille port is very far from town. Our cruise line ran an expensive shuttle to town. Not sure if RCI will do the same. But look into a taxi to get to the train station.

Edited by chinita415

The Marseille Train Station is quite far from the Marseille Cruise Port. It's also a long walk between the Cassis Train Station and the town of Cassis, where you board the Calanques tour boats.

I believe that some Calangue boats leave directly from the Port of Marseilles, but I'm not sure about that. Perhaps others can comment.

http://travel-europe.ca/france/cassis.html

The Marseille Train Station is quite far from the Marseille Cruise Port. It's also a long walk between the Cassis Train Station and the town of Cassis, where you board the Calanques tour boats.

I believe that some Calangue boats leave directly from the Port of Marseilles, but I'm not sure about that. Perhaps others can comment.

http://travel-europe.ca/france/cassis.html

There are! I looked and they were not running in January. But yes in the summer.

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/travel-trade/tourist-offers/boat-excursions/

Thanks for everyone's input! I think we have decided to do an electric bike tour. Picks up at the cruise port and tours around Cassis & the Calanques (Port Pin & Port Miou) with time to shop, eat and swim! :) Booking through Viator.

• 8 months later...
Thanks for everyone's input! I think we have decided to do an electric bike tour. Picks up at the cruise port and tours around Cassis & the Calanques (Port Pin & Port Miou) with time to shop, eat and swim! :) Booking through Viator.

How was the bike tour?

• 9 months later...

How did you like the electric bikes? I've been looking at these tours but have no idea what the bikes are like. Were you able to get near the water and swim? I'm looking into renting a car as I'd like to do something similar and don't want to tie up the entire day in port with a tour. Thanks for any info you can share!