No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

I was on Royal a few months ago and some ads came as a message on the TV. I don't remember if that cut down on paper but if it did it's a great idea. I hope HAL and others move in that direction. I was very surprised at how advanced HAL had moved in the last 2.5 years since my last cruise with them. Menu's, account, itinerary and more available via the TV and the ship website.

I was very surprised at how advanced HAL had moved in the last 2.5 years since my last cruise with them. Menu's, account, itinerary and more available via the TV and the ship website.

Agree.. Recently off Oosterdam and their app 'Navigator' was really nice. Included personalized daily itineraries, activities, opening/closing times of venues, MDR menus and a lot more. Very handy, and no extra charge..

They could add a 'show my cruise log' option to the Navigator, like the 'show my shipboard account'. Then you could save it to your tablet/phone/cloud. They could add a page that lists all the ship's officers and senior staff. They could add a page that names the musicians and entertainers. They could add a lot of nice features, to compensate for having to carry a cellphone around instead of a folded-up page from the daily program.

I concur with both of the last two posts. I prefer carrying around my phone with the app and always ready for photo ops and to share my photos with onboard friends. We did get a cruise log on our last night on the Westerdam last month. I'm going to miss it on future cruises.

The bean counters know that the cruise log doesn't bring in any revenue like they are counting on with all the spa and jewelry trash they give us daily.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

If the bean counters have completely taken over the marketing department then charge us a buck for the darn cruise log if that is what it takes to get the CEO onboard. Or perhaps they can sell the rights to the cruise log "brand" to some corporation and let them put an ad on the cruise log....Absurd that Holland America can't figure out something other than just do away with something that millions of your clients have likely saved and shown to friends (it's called free advertising).

If the bean counters have completely taken over the marketing department then charge us a buck for the darn cruise log if that is what it takes to get the CEO onboard. Or perhaps they can sell the rights to the cruise log "brand" to some corporation and let them put an ad on the cruise log....Absurd that Holland America can't figure out something other than just do away with something that millions of your clients have likely saved and shown to friends (it's called free advertising).
Amen

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

I was on Royal a few months ago and some ads came as a message on the TV. I don't remember if that cut down on paper but if it did it's a great idea. I hope HAL and others move in that direction. I was very surprised at how advanced HAL had moved in the last 2.5 years since my last cruise with them. Menu's, account, itinerary and more available via the TV and the ship website.

Same here. Was just on Liberty of The Seas last month. I like how Royal has the interactive displays around the ship, like Norwegian. I found myself rarely looking at the daily planner and looking at the displays as I do on Norwegian. I basically kept the dailies as a souvenir. I have a TON of them at this point, so no idea why I still do this [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here. Was just on Liberty of The Seas last month. I like how Royal has the interactive displays around the ship, like Norwegian. I found myself rarely looking at the daily planner and looking at the displays as I do on Norwegian. I basically kept the dailies as a souvenir. I have a TON of them at this point, so no idea why I still do this [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WHAT reason do most of you think is why HAL stopped distributing the cruise log? A ream of paper is not a huge investment. Is nothing that we enjoy safe from imminnent or eventual discontinuation?

WHAT reason do most of you think is why HAL stopped distributing the cruise log? A ream of paper is not a huge investment. Is nothing that we enjoy safe from imminnent or eventual discontinuation?

I’m assuming someone figured that if only a select group of cruisers cared about them, HAL is wasting time and manpower to print them. Just a theory. I did enjoy the logs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Someone should bring it up and ask during a Q and A session. I’m not going to be on a HAL ship for several years, or I would do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If a Q & A was with C D, I might ask but certainly not a Captain's 'chat.

I wouldn’t mind packing a ream or 2 for HAL to use to print the thing out next time I’m onboard.

A ream of paper is not a huge cost, but distributing cruise logs to all the cabins on all the ships on all the cruises cost HAL thousands of dollars per year in paper alone. Composing, printing, and distributing the log added to the expense. HAL did not seem to spend much on editing the log, three of mine had glaring errors. I tossed all mine out a while ago and wondered why I had ever kept them.

I doubt that HAL will lose any customers over its discontinuance. No, nothing you enjoy is safe from eventual discontinuation.

A ream of paper is not a huge cost, but distributing cruise logs to all the cabins on all the ships on all the cruises cost HAL thousands of dollars per year in paper alone.
Back when HAL decided to stop delivering the daily NY Times summary paper to all cabins we barely heard a whimper from anybody, because they were and still are readily available in the Lido and at the front desk ... and they will print an on-demand copy for you if they have run out at the front desk. The same approach should have been used for the cruise logs - print a couple of hundred at have them available at the front desk. If a couple of hundred turns out to be too many, cut the number ... and over time the demand will most likely die a natural death.

A ream of paper is not a huge cost, but distributing cruise logs to all the cabins on all the ships on all the cruises cost HAL thousands of dollars per year in paper alone. Composing, printing, and distributing the log added to the expense. HAL did not seem to spend much on editing the log, three of mine had glaring errors. I tossed all mine out a while ago and wondered why I had ever kept them.

I doubt that HAL will lose any customers over its discontinuance. Howev er, the cutbacks are cumulative. Perhaps no single one would cause a loyal cruiser to stop booking HAL but when all totaled and taken into consideration, they ALL could turn off someone who misses many of those things. No, nothing you enjoy is safe from eventual discontinuation.

If a Q & A was with C D, I might ask but certainly not a Captain's 'chat.

When there has been a Q &A session on any HAL ship on which I have sailed, the Captain, the Hotel Director, and usually the Chief Engineer is present with the Cruise Director serving as M.C.

The Cruise Director is subordinate to the Hotel Director, if I understand HAL's organizational chart. If the HD says: "produce a Cruise Log". It would be done. Disappointment that Cruise Logs are on the endangered species list, if not extinct, needs to be addressed to the HD and not just to the CD, in my opinion.

I still am of the opinion that direct, snail mail communication to Mr. Ashford is important for this issue or any other about which one feels strongly. And, if one is a CCL Shareholder, one has the option of contacting CCL's Lead Director to express one's views.

according to many biz experts it cost approx FIVE TIMES as much to get a NEW customer as it does to keep an existing customer....

I am surprised that HAL doesn't see the cruise logs as a cheap way to keep old customers ....granted they won't get mass cancellations due to no cruise logs BUT in my opinion it is yet another missed marketing/free advertising opportunity that costs very little and helps retain loyal customers who may well keep the cruise logs for decades and show them to many friends who are potential customers....penny wise, pound foolish for something that can be provided via PDF file for very very small cost....seems to me that HAL marketing department needs to assert itself more .

Back when HAL decided to stop delivering the daily NY Times summary paper to all cabins we barely heard a whimper from anybody, because they were and still are readily available in the Lido and at the front desk ... and they will print an on-demand copy for you if they have run out at the front desk. The same approach should have been used for the cruise logs - print a couple of hundred at have them available at the front desk. If a couple of hundred turns out to be too many, cut the number ... and over time the demand will most likely die a natural death.

That's an excellent idea and a nice half way point so that only those that want them, get them. No waste.

That's an excellent idea and a nice half way point so that only those that want them, get them. No waste.
Well, there would be a little waste at least at first. But as I said in post #200, if they modify the Front Lobby statement-printing kiosks to enable us to print our own logs there would be zero waste.

I would prefer that they just email everyone a PDF version. It would save paper and provide a permanent record that could be easily accessed if needed. If someone wants a hard copy, they can print it when they get home.
But there may be some people who want one that don't have a home computer and printer ... but that would save the problem of remembering and going down to the front desk to get one on the last night or debarkation morning, so how about BOTH ways of providing it? :)