Taxi at train station in Taormina??

mriehl

We are visiting Messina in 2 weeks (yes, late on the planning phase) and the only thing we care to see is Teatra Graco. I found that the train gets close, but then it says it is a 54 minute walk from the station... My mother cannot walk that far, so wondering if there would be a taxi at the train station? And then one at Teatra Graco to take back. I just wasn't sure if those are locations they would typically be able to be found. I hate to spend $100 each to just get there and back.

Thanks!

The train does get close as the crow flies. However, the train is at sea level and Taormina is up on a hill. So, it is 54 minutes up a steep, busy road with no sidewalks or up hiking trails.

Yes, you can get taxis at the station. Yes, there is a taxi stand at the small park located at the corner of Via Teatro Greco and Corso Umberto. Those two streets are flat and easy to walk.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/98039+Taormina,+Province+of+Messina,+Italy/@37.8535397,15.2897446,343m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x131411a191a0d9b5:0x74a19a34d616e949!8m2!3d37.8516366!4d15.2853127?hl=en

The taxi would be around 25 euros each way. You might want to consider the ship's tour or shuttle if there is one.

BTW - Taormina is a beautiful, if touristy, town. You may find that there is more that you would enjoy seeing there than just the Teatro.

Edited by marazul

Thanks! It would be about 25 euros each way from the train station in Taormina to the teatro?! I haven't been to Europe in years, and never Greece or Sicily, so that may be the norm and just sounds expensive to me!

Yes, and they are very inexpensive. We stayed in there for several days. Took a bus directly from the airport in Catania.

Took a local bus down to the water and back one day while we were there. Took another bus down and along to the next town to pick up a rental car. As I recall, the bus runs at least every hour.

• 4 weeks later...

There are buses from the train station at Taormina Giardini up to the town but when we arrived last week the buses didn't let any passengers board at the station as they were already full of cruise passengers from 2 ships in port.

We shared a taxi with another couple...15 Euros per car with 4 pax.

I just got back from a cruise stop in Messina and drove to Taormina and Castelmola. The highway drive to Taormina is very easy with little traffic. There were 2 ships in port. I drove to the top of Castelmola but would recommend the bus if you’re not comfortable driving in tight quarters. We parked at the Lumbi parking lot and took the free shuttle to Taormina. It was about a 10 minute walk to the theatre. The fully insured vehicle cost $68eu with another $14eu for gas. Avis has a rental front about 200 yards from the cruise port.

Very easy except for the drive from Taormina to Castelmola.