Tipping in Norway

doglover3

I have seen a few other postings about tipping while in Norway, but I'm still unclear. Is one expected to tip tour guides and drivers, both on ship excursions and private? If Norway is primarily a cash-free culture, can you somehow tip with a credit card? I would love to not have to get another foreign currency that we may not need or use up. On a related note, do you need kroner coins for the restrooms?

Like in many european countries tipping is less common then in the USA. However I know guides, drivers and others will be very happy if you tip a small amount as appreciation. Local currency or US$ will be welcome. If not in local currency then please no coins.

Thank you all for your feedback. There seems to be a consensus opinion!:) Sounds like we don't need kroner and we will have a debit card in addition to our credit cards, just in case we need to find an ATM.

As mentioned by allentownahoy, most public toilets require coins. The only pay toilets I saw that would accept credit cards were in the Bergen train station.

I brought fifty dollars worth of Norwegian kroner just to be safe. I found there was a small discount for paying for the hop on hop off bus in cash. I didn't need coins for the toilet but only used museum and restaurant toilets.

• 2 weeks later...
Like in many european countries tipping is less common then in the USA. However I know guides, drivers and others will be very happy if you tip a small amount as appreciation. Local currency or US$ will be welcome. If not in local currency then please no coins.

They will of course accept tips in any currency, but be aware that USDollars in Norway are as useful as Norwegian Kroner in the US. All they can do is take them to a bank.

They will of course accept tips in any currency, but be aware that USDollars in Norway are as useful as Norwegian Kroner in the US. All they can do is take them to a bank.

US$ are easier to change at any bank in Norway or any european country then the other way around.

This is an exaggeration no? Sure the bank or they could also save for a trip.

US$ are easier to change at any bank in Norway or any european country then the other way around.

I'm not sure that's true. There are a growing number of bank branches in Norway that do not have any cash at all. Most banking is done online or via ATMs, so physical banks tend to focus almost exclusively on account administration, loan applications, etc.

I'm not sure that's true. There are a growing number of bank branches in Norway that do not have any cash at all. Most banking is done online or via ATMs, so physical banks tend to focus almost exclusively on account administration, loan applications, etc.

And if you find a bank where you can exchange money there is a quite high fee. I’ll suggest tipping if any in local currency.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is an exaggeration no? Sure the bank or they could also save for a trip.

Maybe a slight exaggeration, because I've never tried changing Norwegian Kroner into Dollars in the USA (or anywhere else). But my point was really that the only thing a Norwegian can do with US Dollars is to take them to a bank and exchange them. Only the most touristy of tourist shops takes US cash, and the tour guides don't spend money there.