Bergen - much to choose from

unseemlygamer

Which excursion should I do in Bergen and why?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which excursion should I do in Bergen and why?

• Fløibanen
    • Grieg's home and Fantoft

Hello! I will be sailing in July 2018 on the Independence of the Seas to the Norwegian fjords.

I have been planning it ever since it opened up for sale, and finally booked about three weeks ago. Two months before I booked, I made a thread generally asking about excursions throughout the ports of call. I've done a little more research, so this will be kind of an update to that.

Our first stop is Bergen - noon to 7pm on a Monday.

At first, the activity that I eyed the most was the Fløibanen funicular. The ship excursion that goes there starts off with a walking tour along cobblestone streets, followed by Bryggen (3-hour excursion departing at 12:30, 12:45, 1:15 or 1:30).

Edvard Grieg's home also caught my curiosity...to the point where I'm gonna be hearing "Morning Mood" when we get to Bergen 😄. Two ship excursions go there, one of which also does Bryggen, and the Fantoft Stave Church. (3-hour excursion departing at 1:45 or 2pm).

I own Lonely Planet's Norway travel guide. Bryggen and Grieg's home were each given a must-visit star, though the funicular was not. However, one cruiser told me that the funicular is one of the most iconic attractions in Norway.

On the other hand, another cruiser recommended that, given my window of time, that I do Grieg's home (and the Fantoft stave church) if I'm curious about it.

Another highlight - the fish market. I was recommended stopping in for salmon.

This time, I'll do a poll.

I would plan a walk through the city on your own to visit Bryggen, The Fish Market, and Fløibanen funicular

Grieg's home and the Fantoft Stave Church is quite far from the city. Might be able to combine the DIY city walk with an afternoon excursion - It might mak sense if both Grieg's home and the Fantoft Stave Church were included in the same excursion.

46SSNZHdRTg

Having been to Bergen many times (most recently...last month) we would not do either of those excursions...if making a first visit. Assuming one is mobile (capable of walking some distance) we would suggest just walking from the Port into town, browsing the Bryggen area and shops (this is on the way to town from the most common docking postion), walking through the Fish Market (and perhaps buying a snack), and just enjoying the town. If you want a great view you can walk over the cable car and ride up to the great view at the top of the mountain.. or....if you really like exercise you can walk up that same hill :).

We got very lucky last month, because the local/regional Symphony Orchestra (we are talking a full orchestra with over 100 musicians) was doing a major rehearsal in a public bandshell (located a few blocks from the Fish Market). We stood and listened to them for about an hour and got a great concert for free :). Sometimes great things happen to those who are independent and just go with the flow.

Hank

I would plan a walk through the city on your own to visit Bryggen, The Fish Market, and Fløibanen funicular

Grieg's home and the Fantoft Stave Church is quite far from the city. Might be able to combine the DIY city walk with an afternoon excursion - It might mak sense if both Grieg's home and the Fantoft Stave Church were included in the same excursion.

46SSNZHdRTg

This excursion does Grieg's home, Fantoft and strolls through Bryggen all-in-one. I'm not sure where it departs from, but I think we'd most likely be on a bus.

Alright, so I looked at a few maps. Fløibanen and the Fish Market might appear as if they would be a short walk from the ship, in fact a walk along Bryggen, but according to the port's cruise calendar, we dock in the Jekteviken/Dokken area, probably because it's a large ship.

This excursion does Grieg's home, Fantoft and strolls through Bryggen all-in-one. I'm not sure where it departs from, but I think we'd most likely be on a bus.

Alright, so I looked at a few maps. Fløibanen and the Fish Market might appear as if they would be a short walk from the ship, in fact a walk along Bryggen, but according to the port's cruise calendar, we dock in the Jekteviken/Dokken area, probably because it's a large ship.

Even that port is within walking distance of Bryggen and the Fish Market...for those who like to walk. The first time we docked at the Dokken area we had no clue until we walked off the ship and realized we were at a different location from the normal cruise port. But walking from that area quickly gets you into the heart of town, although you are entering from a somewhat different direction. At the Dokken pier they do use a free port shuttle bus to get you to that port's entrance (its not safe to walk through the commercial port)...but walking from the bus drop is a good option as its only about 1/2 mile from the Fish Market...and much of that walk is within a part of town not normally visited by those who are docked at the more common Skolten pier.

Hank

Even that port is within walking distance of Bryggen and the Fish Market...for those who like to walk. The first time we docked at the Dokken area we had no clue until we walked off the ship and realized we were at a different location from the normal cruise port. But walking from that area quickly gets you into the heart of town, although you are entering from a somewhat different direction. At the Dokken pier they do use a free port shuttle bus to get you to that port's entrance (its not safe to walk through the commercial port)...but walking from the bus drop is a good option as its only about 1/2 mile from the Fish Market...and much of that walk is within a part of town not normally visited by those who are docked at the more common Skolten pier.

Hank

OK, so I can take a shuttle, or get to the centre square in a short walk, and walk straight from the centre square to attractions such as Bryggen, Fish Market and Fløibanen?

OK, so I can take a shuttle, or get to the centre square in a short walk, and walk straight from the centre square to attractions such as Bryggen, Fish Market and Fløibanen?

Yep, that is what we did. But coming from that pier you will walk into the center of town, then over to the Fish Market...and you will see the Bryggen Houses past the Fish Market. Since we were used to the usual docking location we found that using the Dokken location everything (directions) all were in reverse. If you start walking from the bus drop point, you will be in a quieter part of town. But in a few blocks you will start to near the center of town. The reality of Bergen is that its a very walkable place for those that can handle 2-3 miles a day. The funicular is a bit further (since its on the opposite side of town) but is pretty convenient if you are walking to the other two places. Its hard to miss as you can see where it comes down from the mountain. I would warn that when we were last in Bergen there was a long queue (about an hour) for the Funicular...because there were a few ships in port.

When you exit your ship there will likely be somebody from the local tourist office giving out free local maps. They are handy....although we now rely more on our iPhone and Google Maps to help us find the shortest routes and various sites. Some folks we know did enjoy an excursion out to Grieg's house and mentioned that they did get a short piano performance. I meant to stop at the local tourist office and see if they had lower cost short tours out to Grieg's Home...but got distracted by some other things and forgot to check. We have previously booked a 3 hour boat tour (from the tourist office) which took us to a nearby Fjord, but we found that boat tour somewhat disappointing when compared to other Fjords we have seen in Norway.

Hank

Yep, that is what we did. But coming from that pier you will walk into the center of town, then over to the Fish Market...and you will see the Bryggen Houses past the Fish Market. Since we were used to the usual docking location we found that using the Dokken location everything (directions) all were in reverse. If you start walking from the bus drop point, you will be in a quieter part of town. But in a few blocks you will start to near the center of town. The reality of Bergen is that its a very walkable place for those that can handle 2-3 miles a day. The funicular is a bit further (since its on the opposite side of town) but is pretty convenient if you are walking to the other two places. Its hard to miss as you can see where it comes down from the mountain. I would warn that when we were last in Bergen there was a long queue (about an hour) for the Funicular...because there were a few ships in port.

When you exit your ship there will likely be somebody from the local tourist office giving out free local maps. They are handy....although we now rely more on our iPhone and Google Maps to help us find the shortest routes and various sites.

Hank

Yup, there are a few other ships schedule that day, so the queue would be long...unless of course I buy a ticket in advance, right?

In case you decide to take the RED hopon/off bus to see more of Bergen, they also sell tickets incl. the Floybahn. That way you donot need the be in the often long line, but go into the station right away. The bus will pass the fishmarket first and the stop at floybahn is one of the last ones. However you can go off at the fishmarket and walk to the floybahn and after that continue with the hopon/off bus again.

There is another hopon/off bus too, but I donot know if they sell those tickets too.

In case you decide to take the RED hopon/off bus to see more of Bergen, they also sell tickets incl. the Floybahn. That way you donot need the be in the often long line, but go into the station right away. The bus will pass the fishmarket first and the stop at floybahn is one of the last ones. However you can go off at the fishmarket and walk to the floybahn and after that continue with the hopon/off bus again.

There is another hopon/off bus too, but I donot know if they sell those tickets too.

I just looked up the Citysightseeing buses, and it sounds great!

You can buy the funicular tickets online. You can also buy them from the tourist office near the fish market.

However, bear in mind that Bergen is Europe's wettest city. We have been twice and both times had a lot of rain making the funicular not worthwhile as the view would not have been good. Therefore, mat be better wait until you are there to buy the tickets.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You can buy the funicular tickets online. You can also buy them from the tourist office near the fish market.

However, bear in mind that Bergen is Europe's wettest city. We have been twice and both times had a lot of rain making the funicular not worthwhile as the view would not have been good. Therefore, mat be better wait until you are there to buy the tickets.

Well, that's not surprising, but they say there's no such thing as bad weather there - just inappropriate clothing.

We were in Bergen a day in which you couldn't see three inches in front of you due to the rain and fog. So although we went to the funicular, it wasn't really worth seeing (we had purchased the tickets ahead of time and our kids liked the ride up and down, plus the playground on the top). On a nice day, you might need to wait on a long line to purchase the tickets and then another to get on the funicular so it is up to you if you want to take the risk of purchasing the tickets ahead of time (with small kids we can't take that risk, but you might be in a different situation) The fish market is a very short walk from the funicular, and although it is open it has heaters and blankets available so you will be comfortable sitting and eating a quick meal there even if the weather is dreadful.

We were in Bergen a day in which you couldn't see three inches in front of you due to the rain and fog. So although we went to the funicular, it wasn't really worth seeing (we had purchased the tickets ahead of time and our kids liked the ride up and down, plus the playground on the top). On a nice day, you might need to wait on a long line to purchase the tickets and then another to get on the funicular so it is up to you if you want to take the risk of purchasing the tickets ahead of time (with small kids we can't take that risk, but you might be in a different situation) The fish market is a very short walk from the funicular, and although it is open it has heaters and blankets available so you will be comfortable sitting and eating a quick meal there even if the weather is dreadful.

"Where you couldn't see three inches in front of you" ... That's gotta be an exaggeration.

Either way, I'd certainly like to make the most, the best of this port stop, whatever the weather may be.

"Where you couldn't see three inches in front of you" ... That's gotta be an exaggeration.

Either way, I'd certainly like to make the most, the best of this port stop, whatever the weather may be.

We have been to Bergen several times (last visit August) and walk or get local transport if required. Personally we prefer to walk up to Mt Fløyen rather than taking the funicular. You certainly see more of the town doing so, including a wooden fire station with tower. You also meet more locals, although they are very fit and move at speed up to the summit.

Alternatively, you can ride up and walk down. There are also several signed walks at the summit if you want to explore further.

Weather can be changeable, but light waterproofs with a few layers will see you through. In the summertime we have only experienced light rain.

With regard to docking we have only once berthed at the alternative dock and had to take the shuttle bus. You can easily check where you will be docked nearer the sail date.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have been to Bergen several times (last visit August) and walk or get local transport if required. Personally we prefer to walk up to Mt Fløyen rather than taking the funicular. You certainly see more of the town doing so, including a wooden fire station with tower. You also meet more locals, although they are very fit and move at speed up to the summit.

Alternatively, you can ride up and walk down. There are also several signed walks at the summit if you want to explore further.

We are visiting next June and are thinking about either walking up or down Mt Fløyen. I wanted to have the opportunity to enjoy the views and get some exercise. I was curious about how long to allow if we want to walk up?

Weather can be changeable, but light waterproofs with a few layers will see you through. In the summertime we have only experienced light rain.

With regard to docking we have only once berthed at the alternative dock and had to take the shuttle bus. You can easily check where you will be docked nearer the sail date.

We looked at the Bergen port schedule - it appears that we're berthing at this alternative dock, and would have to take the shuttle. I also searched the City Sightseeing buses where you can purchase an all-day ticket that includes the funicular, even in advance. As far as I know, those come up right as I'd get off the ship.

Seeing more of the town and meeting locals definitely sounds like a nice advantage to walking up instead of taking the funicular, but let's see...we get to Bergen at noon. I was then considering a 3-hour excursion to Grieg's home that departs either at 1:45 or 2pm. Could certainly visit the Fish Market and Mt. Fløyen in the meantime.

"Weather can be changeable, but light waterproofs with a few layers will get you through. In the summertime we have only experienced light rain." Well, this stop will be on a day in late July.

We are visiting next June and are thinking about either walking up or down Mt Fløyen. I wanted to have the opportunity to enjoy the views and get some exercise. I was curious about how long to allow if we want to walk up?

We are relatively fit and walked from the ship to the top of Fløyen in under 50 minutes. From the top of Fløyen to the Fish market, walking down, takes about 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are relatively fit and walked from the ship to the top of Fløyen in under 50 minutes. From the top of Fløyen to the Fish market, walking down, takes about 30 minutes.

Thanks. I'm working on the "relatively fit" part. :) We'll probably allow a little extra time, for various reasons, but it's good to have a basic idea of timing.

Another option, as you will be walking from Dokken Cruise Terminal (Dokkeskjaerskaien), would be to take the Bybanen Light Rail to the Fantoft Stave Church and Troldhaugen Edvard Grieg Museum.

Sounds pretty interesting for an alternative...

Then again, the guided tour sounds like it would be more fun...because it's guided, and it's a group.

We have been to Bergen several times (last visit August) ... Weather can be changeable, but light waterproofs with a few layers will see you through. In the summertime we have only experienced light rain.

We expect to be in Bergen in early November. What should we expect weather-wise, and in terms of what will be available for tourists?

This is what you can expect: 5 to 6 degree C ( 40 F) windy, periods of sun and clouds as well as rainy! Sunrise is 9:30, sunset 5 pm.

Reduced opening hours for sights - plan you day in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Forums