Best Beach Day Pass in Costa Maya?

NYHartChapp

Will be making port in Costa Maya in March and looking for a nice place to spend a day at the beach. Looking for all-inclusive with nice buffet, adequate lounges in sun and shade, nice clean beach/water and not too far from the cruise ship port. Water park a plus but motorized water sports not a priority. Thanks in advance for any recommendations :D

Hands down I would go with Maya Chan. We have been twice and my husband won't even let me consider looking for alternative options (and I am perfectly great with that). They reserve a palapa, with beds & chairs, for you in advance, the staff is exceptionally attentive, make fantastic drinks, and the food they serve for lunch is absolutely incredible. A few years ago we were with a couple celebrating their anniversary and there was champagne waiting at our palapa when we arrived, the ones with small children had a bunch of sand toys awaiting them. The water.... they do have a lot of sea grass so not really great for snorkeling. However they also have people working all day to rake it up off of the beach. This past year while we were there, it was a truly horrible day for sea grass and it was piled a good foot and a half high. Didn't seem to keep anyone from having a blast. The staff was working hard to remove it and were also helping guests cross over the pile and into the water to get on all their water toys (paddle boats, kayaks, floaty chairs, etc.).

2019 we will be most likely booking another Western Caribbean just so we can return to Maya Chan.

If Maya Chan is booked, consider Almaplena. a little further down the coast but an AI with limited guests.

If both have no room, consider Blue Kay, Tropicante, Pitaya or Blue Reef along the malecon. PAYGO and you'll be amongst the hoi polloi:rolleyes::D, but you'll get excellent service and food and drinks are reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Crewsweeper...interested in PAYGO....doing my research for my upcoming cruise. I can't seem to find any info on that. Do you happen to have a website or more info? Thanks!!

You didn't mention which you can't seem to find info on.

If you are looking for info on Blue Kay, check out my signature line for it. We loved it there. Beautiful beach and water. I have TONS of pictures in my review.

NYHartChapp -- We are on the same sailing with you on the Seaside. We've booked Maya Chan. We've been before and really enjoyed it! :)

Will be making port in Costa Maya in March and looking for a nice place to spend a day at the beach. Looking for all-inclusive with nice buffet, adequate lounges in sun and shade, nice clean beach/water and not too far from the cruise ship port. Water park a plus but motorized water sports not a priority. Thanks in advance for any recommendations :D

Just got home from cruise that stopped in Costa Maya and on basis of this board booked a day at ALmapenya since Maya Chan was booked. None of the people who recommended this mentioned the disgusting and unsanitary bathroom facilities on the beach. They have a sign that toilet paper is not to be flushed down the toilet but deposited in an open waste basket. I thought it smelled when I first got there but by the time I left I had to mouth breathe or I may have vomited. This may be fine for some and I undeestand the "eco friendly" intent but to me this is just too much and should have been disclosed by someone. If you want to provide a receptacle rather than flush paper that is your choice but the container should be covered, emptied frequently and some type of odor prevention should be used. Totally disgusting and if I had known I would never have gone. Will never go back or recommend this place

Just got home from cruise that stopped in Costa Maya and on basis of this board booked a day at ALmapenya since Maya Chan was booked. None of the people who recommended this mentioned the disgusting and unsanitary bathroom facilities on the beach. They have a sign that toilet paper is not to be flushed down the toilet but deposited in an open waste basket. I thought it smelled when I first got there but by the time I left I had to mouth breathe or I may have vomited. This may be fine for some and I undeestand the "eco friendly" intent but to me this is just too much and should have been disclosed by someone. If you want to provide a receptacle rather than flush paper that is your choice but the container should be covered, emptied frequently and some type of odor prevention should be used. Totally disgusting and if I had known I would never have gone. Will never go back or recommend this place

I responded to your other post about Almaplena located HERE: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54487091&postcount=52

Are these the restrooms you used?

PC170021-M.jpg

PC170023-M.jpg

Because that's what we used when we were there and they were pretty clean. As for not flushing the toilet paper and having to put it in the trash, this is common almost everywhere you go in the Caribbean. Their sanitation system is not the same as in the US. So if this bothers you, you might not want to go to any of the beach clubs and stick to resorts. I understand it wasn't covered or might have smelled (we didn't encounter that), but it is the norm for the Caribbean. Maya Chan would have been the same but not in that nice of a building (unless they have upgraded).

Sorry you didn't like it. That's just not something that is normally brought up on these boards when suggesting places because...well, most people know that this is the norm in the Caribbean.. :)

Yes those are the restrooms i used and no I don't agree that is the norm. I have been to almost every Caribbean island more than once and have been to many beach clubs. I have never seen this before. If it doesn't bother you, fine. but I absolutely think it should be upfront information. I doubt I'm the only one that thinks this way

Yes those are the restrooms i used and no I don't agree that is the norm. I have been to almost every Caribbean island more than once and have been to many beach clubs. I have never seen this before. If it doesn't bother you, fine. but I absolutely think it should be upfront information. I doubt I'm the only one that thinks this way

It is indeed VERY common in Mexico, including private houses and rentals because of the plumbing.

• 1 month later...

Ok, just to elaborate to everyone about the toilet situation. As I said in my statement, you will run into almost every place in the Caribbean (unless you are at a resort) that will not allow you to put toilet paper in the toilets and it must be deposited in the trash. This is the norm just about everywhere you go...whether it's Costa Maya, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan...you name it.

I just returned from all of the listed ports above...here are some pictures for everyone. This is NOT UNUSUAL!

COZUMEL: The Money Bar

PB120362%20copy-M.jpg

PB120364%20copy-M.jpg

ROATAN: This is even AT THE CRUISE PORT!

PB151959%20copy-L.jpg

COSTA MAYA: Blue Kay

PB162158%20copy-L.jpg

There were various other places too...but you get the point. You won't find many places that allow you to deposit toilet paper in the toilet. So those that are new to cruising...just a heads up on what to expect. clear.png?emoji-grin-1677 Those of you that say you cruise a lot and have never come across this issue, well I'm not sure where you are actually cruising to. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

In Mexico in general this IS the norm.

How do you expect to see where to put TP 'upfront'? I'm not sure I understand that.

• 1 month later...

Just an FYI I've never been to a place in Mexico where they allowed you to flush any type of paper in the toilets.

Just an FYI I've never been to a place in Mexico where they allowed you to flush any type of paper in the toilets.

So glad I read this. Our itinerary was just changed to Western Caribbean and I wasn't sure about changing our cruise but now I have. This is definitely not what I want on my vacation. I didn't really want to go on a Western Caribbean cruise before and now definitely don't. Gross:(

I'm so sorry to hear that these bathroom conditions are "trigger" points for some cruisers. But as having just returned from Labadee, Haiti, RCCL's private island. I will say the conditions of the restrooms at that cruise line sponsored resort, where flushing was allowed, were far worse in cleanliness than anything I've seen in any Western Caribbean port, flushable or not.

For germaphobes, it has been clinically demonstrated that your own kitchen dish rag carries more germs and bacteria than the toilet seat in any public restroom. Additionally, unless you have cuts or oozing sores on your rear, there is practically zero probability of you contracting any disease from a toilet seat. Bring some Lysol wipes with you if you're afraid you might "catch" or sit in something.

• Like 1

We just returned from Costa Maya and spent the day at Maya Chan. Wonderful staff and facilities - massages, snorkeling, kayaking. Includes transports, food and drinks. The only negative is that the beach water has sea grass and many are put off by that. Our family of 9 had a great time. Book early enough to arrange for a palapa.

I heard from other cruise critic members about Jamie's Blue Reef: http://www.jaimesbluereef.com/. Looks amazing from the pictures - it's AI with loungers, umbrellas, tables, non-motorized water sports, all you can eat, all you can drink for $47 pp. They ask for a $25 deposit as they only take 35 people per day, making it a non-crowded experience. I already sent my deposit.

I'm so sorry to hear that these bathroom conditions are "trigger" points for some cruisers. But as having just returned from Labadee, Haiti, RCCL's private island. I will say the conditions of the restrooms at that cruise line sponsored resort, where flushing was allowed, were far worse in cleanliness than anything I've seen in any Western Caribbean port, flushable or not.

For germaphobes, it has been clinically demonstrated that your own kitchen dish rag carries more germs and bacteria than the toilet seat in any public restroom. Additionally, unless you have cuts or oozing sores on your rear, there is practically zero probability of you contracting any disease from a toilet seat. Bring some Lysol wipes with you if you're afraid you might "catch" or sit in something.

I second that - I can't believe people are actually having a long thread about toilets and toilet paper - LOL

• Haha 1

I second that - I can't believe people are actually having a long thread about toilets and toilet paper - LOL

Sorry if that bothers you but it is a major concern of mine and others. Although I'm not happy about this situation we have decided to stay with the Western itinerary and I have already booked Maya Chan for that day. Have read many good things and am looking forward to it.

Sorry if that bothers you but it is a major concern of mine and others. Although I'm not happy about this situation we have decided to stay with the Western itinerary and I have already booked Maya Chan for that day. Have read many good things and am looking forward to it.

Not sure where you cruise was originally scheduled to go but I would be prepared - I would expect Maya Chan to be very similar to the rest of the locations mentioned here. I do not remember the bathrooms specifically but it is a very rustic location just along the road from Almaplena. As others have said this is very normal practice in much of the Caribbean.

I totally understand. I'm not a picky person but I am a bathroom SNOB! Drives my husband nuts but it is what it is.

Not sure where you cruise was originally scheduled to go but I would be prepared - I would expect Maya Chan to be very similar to the rest of the locations mentioned here. I do not remember the bathrooms specifically but it is a very rustic location just along the road from Almaplena. As others have said this is very normal practice in much of the Caribbean.

While nothing can totally prepare me I am trying, my husband said I should start practicing at home lol. Sorry can't help how I am, as much as I'm trying to picture a dream trip it still reminds me of camping, lol. :D