Age Groups for American Queen

Carol28

We've always wanted to take this type of cruise since we were 40. Now we are 65/63. Are we ready? When we look at the pictures, the folks look older than 70, which is a fine age, and we could wait until then. And we've met wonderful older couples on our cruises.

But, we don't want to be the youngest couple aboard. Please take no offense, but we really need to know.

I'm obsessed with the American Queen and determined to try it out within the next three years, so my husband and I will be about 40-41.

Looking at pictures/video I'm aware we may seem a little out of place, but I find the concept and execution so appealing that it outweighs any reservations.

we have only done one cruise on AQ a few years ago the age range was wide

They were 12 -80 yr old

we had several teens onboard

It is a relaxed cruise so if you can relax & enjoy the scenery then you are probably ready

if you are they type of people that need to be entertained & be busy 24/7 then wait

jmo

I did this cruise with my husband in December last year we were 45 and 50. We were almost the youngest. There were a family with small children and another Australian couple who were on their honeymoon who were in their 30s. The cruise is what you make it. I loved being able to watch the world go by reading my book on deck. The towns were interesting and we usually walked into them rather than raking the bus or vice versa. The food was very good and we were on an elvis cruise and I enjoyed the entertainment very much. My husband is a techno geek. The wifi was not great and non. Exultant in our room and he struggled with this. We did the late dinner sitting. Watching people rush and line up and on the first night push to get into the dining room was not for us. Let me know if you have any questions.

• 1 month later...

We've been on a few American Queen Cruises and my observation is you're right in their "Age Wheelhouse". You won't be the youngest nor the oldest. Book one, we find them to be one of the best cruising experiences we've had

We've been on a few American Queen Cruises and my observation is you're right in their "Age Wheelhouse". You won't be the youngest nor the oldest. Book one, we find them to be one of the best cruising experiences we've had

Right on! We have done several of these trips and are doing another next month. We are late 60's and early 70's and most of our fellow travelers have been within a few years of our ages, I would say.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are booked for AQ in December (New Orleans to Memphis xmas cruise) and we're 38 & 40, and our son will be 14 years old.

We discovered the joys of river cruising several years ago during a delightful AmaWaterways cruise on the Rhine.

We had plenty in common with the lovely folks who enjoyed the history and in-depth experiences of a river cruise, regardless of age.

We anticipate we'll enjoy the like-minded passengers on the AQ cruise as well - people are brought together by memorable common experiences.

Edited by Nitra22

• 3 weeks later...

We (33 & 45) will be heading West from Vancouver to Clarkston the first week of October. I'll be honest the age gap is one of the things that concerns us. This will be our first river cruise, something my partner (the history buff) has always wanted to do, we ended up compromising on the American Empress so I could get my wine fix of the Pacific NW.

We (33 & 45) will be heading West from Vancouver to Clarkston the first week of October. I'll be honest the age gap is one of the things that concerns us. This will be our first river cruise, something my partner (the history buff) has always wanted to do, we ended up compromising on the American Empress so I could get my wine fix of the Pacific NW.

You will be fine age is just a number :D

enjoy the cruise

• 1 month later...

We just returned from the American Empress (Clarkston to Vancouver on the Snake and Columbia Rivers). The demographic is definitely 70+ on average. Saw several who were probably in their mid to high eighties. We were on the low end being in our sixties and there were a few in their fifties perhaps. You'll see walkers, maybe a wheelchair and lots of canes and probably no kids!

That said, the ages of our shipmates were not foremost on our minds. We, along with everyone else, just enjoyed the cruise. Nice experience.

Although the general age group for both the American Queen and American Empress are 'seasoned', the cruise is still FABULOUS. We don't depend on others for our enjoyment and quite honestly, I LOVE to see elderly people still 'out there doin' it' as long as they can! Since I work with the Alzheimer's Association, I just adore that age group and am very happy to be around them - SOOO much wisdom!

We tend to go to bed at a reasonable time anyway, so don't find any 'lack of entertainment' by any stretch. I have found the entertainment to be STELLAR on both ships, and the Riverlorians excellent too! It's SOO much more than just a 'cruise', it's an 'experience' on the river.

We'll be on the American Empress again in November and I can't WAIT to see the refurbishments! We had sailed on her in 2006 when she was the Empress of the North, our first river cruise. We LOVED IT! Can't WAIT!

Smitty :)