Seeking Snorkel & Scuba w/Sm Group. One Is Mobility Challenged aka "It's Complicated"

wsantelope

We are arriving in Grand Cayman on Carnival Freedom in June. 7am-4pm.

Looking for an operator that can accommodate both divers and snorkelers for our small group of 6-8.

One is mobility challenged and can do steps/stand/walk short distances only.

A long swim out with fins would also be problematic.

Best for this person is to probably go down the ladder of a boat into the water, while already at the dive/snorkel site.

At least one of the divers will be newly certified on his first real dive.

All are age 15 and up.

Need to figure out transport that is workable without a lot of walking to the tour operator and then a way to get back on the ship without a lot of walking.

Bringing a fold up wheelchair is a possibility but we will already have a mobility scooter onboard so thinking of saving space (Carnival won't allow use of the scooter on the tender).

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Definately want a site or sites that would appeal to both snorkelers and divers so that no one feels they are missing out.

Thanks in advance!

you may want to contact Sunset House where you MIGHT be able to arrange some shore dive / snorkel activity ....

I mention them because I KNOW they have entertained groups of 'special' divers including vets who've lost limbs.

Nothing would be on their web site or price list but I'd recommend calling or e-mailing the hotel and ask them to help you contact the dive shop manager .... contact info IS on the web site ....

or call +1 800-854-4767

Sunset House is a good dive for beginners and experienced divers with easy in/out and a dive profile to depths of 50 to 60 feet maximum. This is where I took newly certified wife back in 85, and newly certified dd 2015 to build experience with week long stays. I've done many week log stays over the years and usually visit for a shore dive on any Cayman cruise stop. I took dd on a Discovery dive here and as I mentioned returned for experience building after C classes. She also made her first night dive here as do many divers as outside instructors often bring their classes here.

It is a 10 minute taxi ride from the tender landing and the taxi can drop you about 50 feet from the dive shop. Entrance to the water is about the same. They have a nice ladder for your special guest to easily get in and out .... do you have a strong swimmer who could 'tow' the one with needs? Are they safe in deep water (over their head?)

http://www.sunsethouse.com

and then there's MY BAR for libation!

Thank you SO much for all this great information! I just got off the phone with them. Super cool folks and very accommodating! I think we will be able to work something out.

I am the "special" one and yes, I am safe in deep water. I can walk 50 feet and I can swim well. We have strong swimmers along that can tow me if I get in over my head (pun intended!). ;p

I would have been very disappointed to hear that Sunset wasn't able to help you out .... they've always been top notch for me for many years .....

this is a view of the property

enhance

you can easily see the coral fingers that begin near the sea wall and run out to a depth of around 60 feet. At the bottom of the property is "My Bar" - great for lunch or snacks. At the top is the sea pool, a good place for beginners who may not be ready to 'jump right in'. Their pool is in the middle.

Enjoy