Things to Look for Before Booking Long Flight?

NayaSantaFe

This will be the first 12+ flight for our 3 year old. We will be flying to Australia for a cruise on the Ovation of the Seas, but I want to know if there is anything I should look for or watch out for in a flight this long before I book...

I am obviously trying to find the shortest flight possible which is about 22 hours, but what else should I look for? Any airlines that are more comfortable or spacious or have features that accomadate better to a toddler?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I would discuss this with your pediatrician first. I would also consider (I know you probably do not have the time ) stopping in Hawaii for a night or two instead of flying straight through.

We did this some years ago but our son was about 10. Somehow, after about 8 hours it all just became monotonously the same and we dozed a lot of the time.

Our youngest was 2 1/2 when we did an 8 hour flight to England.

Bringing the car seat helped, since she was used to staying contained. Try to plan flights around sleep schedules as much as possible, i.e. when we flew we left at night so when we landed in England it was morning there. Bring lots of snacks and distraction items. Definitely one of those portable battery packs to keep devices charged.

• 3 weeks later...

It’s not easy at that age. I’d break it up if you can. We did a 12 hr flight from CA to China when our son was 2. We brought his car seat as we figured he might be more likely to fall asleep. But if going on a cruise it would be awkward to have a car seat.

why is that? We brought our car seat for the kiddo on a cruise many times. Stores like a dream in the closet.

You must have had a more spacious cabin that we have had! Persona.lu not something I’d have wanted to schlep around if not using it, but each their own, my kids are past that now.

You must have had a more spacious cabin that we have had! Persona.lu not something I’d have wanted to schlep around if not using it, but each their own, my kids are past that now.

it was a regular inside cabin on RCCL and Princess ships.

I'd rather schlep a car seat around if it keeps my kid safe. The laws of physics don't get cancelled just because we are on vacation.

it was a regular inside cabin on RCCL and Princess ships.

I'd rather schlep a car seat around if it keeps my kid safe. The laws of physics don't get cancelled just because we are on vacation.

Not sure why you’re debating with me on this. The OP asked for opinions about things to consider for flights. I gave my opinion. In 13 years of traveling with kids we rarely brought a car seat onto a plane and when we did the hassle outweighed the benefit for us. Somehow my kids are still living. 🤷*♀️ when we travelled with toddlers on cruises we managed to be safe without having to take one on a cruise ship. When we travelled by plane only we usually checked the car seat. There are different ways of doing things. If you want to fill up your closet with a car seat that you won’t use for a week + then that works for you, it did not work for us....

I personally never take the car seat either. I took it once with my now 6 year old and didn't even use it, but did end up caring it around and they are not light.

So I don't really think we will take the car seat this time either. But, thanks for the suggestion. We all do things differently.